Pitney Bowes: unjustified extra fees: huge scam: who will stop this scam?

This "third party" Pitney Bowes is running a disgusting scam on eBay! How can customers make ebay aware that this is a fraud ? This third party does not represent official customs an does not give US or Canadian customs any money, they put it all in their pockets. By using fraudulously the term "custom fees", they are not only lying to ebay buyers, but also to official authorities who are not getting these extra "custom fees". Sellers! Why do you make business with these people? they are stealing money from you and from your customers! If ebay cannot or will not take action, this fraud issue will be taken directly to the federal governments of both countries to unveil the scam. Enough is enough!

Message 1 of 213
latest reply
212 REPLIES 212

@slackerj6 wrote:

SCAM !!!!!!!!!!!!

You feel like you're being scammed.

Just like almost every poster addressing the GSP here, and I agree 100%.  Feels like an eBay sanctioned scam when you want to buy an item listed via the GSP.  

Kinda sucks............. doesn't it?

Message 121 of 213
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

chimera148 wrote

I was curious about the difference in import charges between those charged to the OP, 349.97, and the 146.00 shown for BC where PST/GST is 12%.

Maybe the import charges shown on the item listing are not accurate for BC, or the item is exempt from some taxes in BC.

I've noticed quite a few times that PB has charged for gst only in the provinces that don't have HST.

I'm not sure what the USPS policy on Signature Confirmation is right now, but the last 2 packages I received via USPS and CP required my signature in May and June.

I've always had to sign for some Priority and some Express packages as CP treats them as Expresspost. But that has always been sporadic.

The packages I signed for were just USPS FCPI, not Priority or Express, but CP puts the XPRESSPOST sticker on them once they clear customs. The USPS charges were about US16.00 with good delivery time and tracking.

With the variable listed import charges and large price discrepancies on some GSP items, some appear inaccurate and would be hard to use for examples to compare costs between USPS and GSP shipping methods.

CP emailed me today that a package shipped USPS FCPI from Ohio has arrived and photo id will be required to pick up the item.

It was 9 days shipping time to near Vancouver, BC and cost US12.00, so quite good on a 1 lb. item.

If i'm looking for a certain item, I just pass by the GSP listed items now, got tired of communicating with sellers about the GSP. It's just less reason to look on ebay.

Message 122 of 213
latest reply

@chimera148 wrote:
If i'm looking for a certain item, I just pass by the GSP listed items now, got tired of communicating with sellers about the GSP. It's just less reason to look on ebay. 

You've summed up exactly what my primary concern is about the GSP, aside from my disgust at the rather sneaky way it's being applied.  

In the long run, I think eBay is shooting itself in the foot - buyers will decide to just purchase from sites where they can clearly see and confirm all charges before actually purchasing.  And I think most Canadian buyers won't realize they could choose a Canadian seller and avoid the GSP completely.  

Message 123 of 213
latest reply

Hi there,

Who are you marnotom, being an ebay member since 2004, having only 1 feedback since then???? and in 2012?

For whatever reason you are very kean to defend Pitney Bowes, based on what? your experience through Ebay?

Pretty poor, with one deal made.

And instead of attacking (or so) the people complaining about their experience and feelings about Pitney, you should be more concern about the real buyers and sellers from ebay.

Regards

Message 124 of 213
latest reply

"Who are you marnotom, being an ebay member since 2004, having only 1 feedback since then???? and in 2012?"

???

We all know by now not to judge a book by its cover.

Personally, I do not know who marnotom is.  I also do not know who I*m-still-here is.

Those are posters using posting IDs instead of their real ID under which they buy and/or sell on eBay.  Both appear to have some experience buying/selling on eBay.  Personally I much prefer to communicate with posters using their real ID but.... it is what it is.

You wrote "you are very kean to defend Pitney Bowes"

"defend" ???

I read over one hundred posts by marnotom and, quite frankly, did not find one, not a single one, "defending" Pitney Bowes.  On the contrary.  Most posts by marnotom seem to explain areas of importing from the USA into Canada which are often misunderstood by casual buyers.  Many of my own posts follow the same concept: helping casual users understand the system, not "defend" it.

Like marnotom, I believe the Global Shipping Program (GSP) instituted by eBay and managed under contract by Pitney Bowes was not designed to assist most Canadians in most transactions and should be avoided in most instances.  The program was designed by eBay to help American sellers increase their international sales with the added costs paid by buyers. Unfortunately, many American sellers use the program when they should not - but that is another story.

My own feelings about GSP are expressed in this post of June 6th, reposted here;

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Comments-about-the-Global-Shipping-Program/m-p/149059#U149...

Message 125 of 213
latest reply

For whatever reason you are very kean to defend Pitney Bowes,.....................

marnotom, pierre, PJ, and perhaps BB do come across as defending the GSP and continually post that they do not support the GSP.

That's because they defend it as being good for some of the buyers some of the time etc., and also because they sincerely believe that angry buyers (many of whom are much more experienced at buying than they are) who are posting when upset and frustrated are not aware of our Canadian tax laws.

However...............

1.) Explaining tax laws to angry buyers only fuels their anger 

And

2.) Supporting the GSP on those grounds is

They did that too.

Message 126 of 213
latest reply

In light of this new information I really don’t hate Pitney and Bowes so much anymore.  Not that I like them by any means, but now I mostly just despise the way e-bay forced PB and the global shipping program on sellers and customers alike with very little information and extreme difficulties in allowing changes to other shipping couriers such as USPS if that is the seller's and buyer's preferred choice. 

Since making this order I just placed through Pitney and Bowes I have gained a lot more love and appreciation for the good old United States Postal Service.  After having hundreds of packages sent USPS international mail, and CBSA along with Canada Post not charging the legitimate taxes and the handling fees to any of my purchases ever, USPS has saved me a small fortune over the years.     

I am however not quite sure about a couple more items…

Pitney and Bowes does not charge an import fee to Canada for cheaper items, which makes sense since packages shipped to Canada valued under $20 Can. have No Duty and No Tax from CBSA and therefore also No Canada Post Handling.  However import charges of $5.92 begin with items priced $19.63 Can. and above and there are no import charges for items priced at or below $19.62 Can. (below $18.98 US currently).  Why does PB not start charging import fees using this legally allowed by Canada customs round number of items above $20 Canadian?

The import charge is to cover taxes (and duty if not a NAFTA item) and handling, and of course the brokerage.  Pitney and Bowes only charges $6.20 import fee on an item priced $21 US. ($21.71 Can.)  An item $21.71 shipped to Ontario would receive 13% HST ($2.82) + Canada Post Handling for applying the tax which costs $9.95, so that would then add $12.77 to the price.  Yet Pitney and Bowes charges less than half that?  With these other cheaper items that cost slightly over $20 Can. does PB ship at a loss?  Is this perhaps covered by overcharging so many people by so much on larger purchases to give small buyers a better deal on shipping?

Also, I have just ordered a single book through Pitney and Bowes whereas I usually order several to combine shipping.  Can anyone advise how Pitney and Bowes charges for combined shipping?  If I were to buy 3 books at $10 each they would individually show $0 import charge on their listings, however Canada customs charges are based on over $20 overall package value, which would then be over $30 value and receive taxes and handling.  Does PB apply import charges at checkout if you combine shipping of items that add up to over $20 Can.? (or I guess it would be over $19.63 Can.?)  This could add a big surprise to many people not expecting import charges until it is too late.  Or I suppose I should ask can you even combine items into one package at all with Pitney and Bowes?

Message 127 of 213
latest reply

"round number of items above $20 Canadian?"

The problem here is one of conversion since most listings are listed in US$ and must be converted to Cdn$ for tax calculation purposes.  Currencies fluctuate every minute of the day.  eBay.ca usually resets every morning.  PayPal every few hours depending on level of fluctuation. Same for banks.  Credit card issuers do it daily.

It is possible that the currency exchange used by PB to determine tax exemption eligibility ($20) is used on a different wholesale or retail level.  I suspect you may find the same problem at times with a price equivalent to $20.10 or $20.15 (a few cents above the $20 level).

Message 128 of 213
latest reply

I have purchased a couple items  that had the GSP on them, due to having no other option and wanting that particular item.  It varies incredibly on what the import charges are, it seems that some sellers charge more than others. In some instances it provides a low shipping rate for example 11 or 12 dollars on an item comparable sellers are charging 25 to 35 dollars. So when you factor in the import charges to the 15 to 25 dollar savings sometimes you will get it cheaper (taking longer) than if you were to purchase from another seller. It goes both ways though, with it sometimes being up 50-75 percent more expensive to use the GSP seller. I don't like the program personally, but some sellers are fearful of shipping accross borders for whatever reason and this helps them offer other countries an oppurtunity to make a purchase with them.  If you take the time to find the right auction you won't get "scammed" but it is indeed frustrating sorting through the listings to find the 1 in 100 opportunity.  It's a scam to people who are impulse buyers, if you have the patience to navigate around the system it will not consume you. Just my 2 cents from Canada.

Message 129 of 213
latest reply

It is a scam. I purchased a product that was made and assembled in the US and as such shouldn't be subject to any customs charges under NAFTA. Pitney Bowes charged $30 in "customs" fees. When I asked for proof of payment to customs the seller, ebay, and Pitney Bowes were all unable to provide this so that I could request my entitled refund on an erroneous charge. If they're legitimate, why would the be unable to provide this? Because they're not and you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Message 130 of 213
latest reply

"made and assembled in the US and as such shouldn't be subject to any customs charges under NAFTA."

Goods made in the USA are generally exempt of "duty" under NAFTA.  That is correct.

However, imports of taxable products are still subject to Canadian consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST depending on your province).  These taxes are not exempt by NAFTA.

The "import charge" from Pitney Bowes covers both the tax payable (rate varies by province) and a brokerage or handling fee.  The same would apply if the item had been sent by mail. Canada Post charges a flat $9.95 brokerage fee in addition to taxes assessed by Canada Customs.

"...proof of payment to customs..."

Unfortunately, the system created by eBay and Pitney Bowes is opaque and does not provide adequate disclosure.  In a perfect world, Pitney Bowes would show the calculation for taxes (Canadian taxable value x tax percentage) and fee just like Canada Post does.  In fact, there is a legal requirement for Pitney Bowes to show the amount of tax collected and its GST/HST registration number.  eBay is aware and has been aware for a long time that Pitney Bowes has not met that legal requirement and continues to ignore it.  As far as "proof of payment", it is no different from purchasing taxable goods at any retailer in Canada: you pay the tax, you get a receipt but you have no "proof" that your money is remitted to the government.  It is the job of the government to see to it that all taxes are properly and fully remitted by those registered to collect it.

At the end of the day, the program is not perfect and is often offered by American sellers in low price listings where it should not be offered.  There are few benefits for most Canadian buyers in most transactions.  But again, the program has not been created to benefit Canadians or buyers anywhere in the world: it is there to help American sellers sell more outside their borders.

But it is not a "scam".  It is legitimate although most Canadian should avoid it most of the time.

Message 131 of 213
latest reply

The poster is right, there is a custom charge, taxes, tracking, brokerage and "other fees" which should be not added to certain items.

The NAFTA agreement means no goods made in the USA and imported into either Canada or Mexico have any taxes to be charged, I import cutting tools which Canadian customs state are duty exempt and finally as I have a business the taxes Ptney Bowes have charged which, are payable to Canadian customs should be on a reciept which are never sent out even when requested, it is indeed a scam.

Message 132 of 213
latest reply

"The NAFTA agreement means no goods made in the USA and imported into either Canada or Mexico have any taxes to be charged"

I am sorry but you have been misinformed.

NAFTA deals with duty (tariffs) and quotas.  It does not change one penny as far as consumption taxes (HST/GST/PST) are concerned.

Please do not take my word for it.  Check it out yourself:

https://www.nafta-sec-alena.org/Default.aspx?tabid=97&ctl=FullView&mid=1588&language=en-US

For more information about NAFTA: http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/nafta-alena/

Message 133 of 213
latest reply

Is this Global Shipping Program forced on U.S. based sellers?  Do they have the option of not using this service if they would ship directly to Canada (or another country?)

I've avoided buying from sellers that use it and look elsewhere for the same item.

Message 134 of 213
latest reply

"Is this Global Shipping Program forced on U.S. based sellers? "

No.  eBay has been promoting their program but sellers do not have to use it.

"Do they have the option of not using this service if they would ship directly to Canada (or another country?)"

Yes.  Options exist for sellers to opt out of the program or opt specific countries out of the program.

Unfortunately, as stated many times before, eBay has done a very poor job educating American sellers about the program.

Message 135 of 213
latest reply

With this service, International buyers are paying to ship something twice from U.S. Sellers.  Once to the Pitney Bowes warehouse, and then again to the final destination.  Of course Pitney Bowes needs to make money on this service, so we have to pay for that and also eBay is likely getting apiece of the action too.  On top of that, add the government taxes and brokerage fees and that eBay deal is no longer a good deal.

Message 136 of 213
latest reply

Is it just me but it seems like anyone that has something good to say about this program only have 1 star.   Give it up Ebay we know it's you trying to make this look a little better than it actually is....  Yes I'm talking about you.

Message 137 of 213
latest reply

@aurelc123 wrote:

Is it just me but it seems like anyone that has something good to say about this program only have 1 star.   Give it up Ebay we know it's you trying to make this look a little better than it actually is....  Yes I'm talking about you.

If you're going to go way back in time when referring to another post, it would be nice to see a quote of what you're responding to, exactly.  I went back in this thread to see a post of mine dating back about five weeks and I don't see what I said that's "good" about the program.  Are you saying that sellers are using the GSP inappropriately is a good thing?

Message 138 of 213
latest reply

I tried calling eBay today to get answers but they blew me off. I cannot wait for someone to write an article in a major Canadian newspaper exposing this scam. There is an item valued at $19.53 Canadian on eBay now. It has import charges of $6.39. I called eBay and asked them who is getting this $6.39 as I know for sure:

1: It is not the seller

2. It is not Canada Customs as they don't charge duty fees on anything valued at $20.00 or less (Cdn dollars, of course)

So, I asked eBay, who is getting this money? No answer. They told me to email another dept. for answers. I also wrote to the seller and made them aware of this and hopefully, they will realize it and opt out of the Global Shipping. I am a Canadian buyer who barely ever got charged import fees in over a decade of buying off eBay. In my humble opinion, the actual agents who handle the packages at the border should be the ones charging us import duties, not eBay or Pitney Bowes. The whole thing reeks of something very fushy going on.

Message 139 of 213
latest reply

"I asked eBay, who is getting this money? No answer. They told me to email another dept. for answers."

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  The biggest problem with this program is:

opacity - even eBay staff does not understand the "ins and outs" of GSP

Message 140 of 213
latest reply