Pitney Bowes: unjustified extra fees: huge scam: who will stop this scam?

This "third party" Pitney Bowes is running a disgusting scam on eBay! How can customers make ebay aware that this is a fraud ? This third party does not represent official customs an does not give US or Canadian customs any money, they put it all in their pockets. By using fraudulously the term "custom fees", they are not only lying to ebay buyers, but also to official authorities who are not getting these extra "custom fees". Sellers! Why do you make business with these people? they are stealing money from you and from your customers! If ebay cannot or will not take action, this fraud issue will be taken directly to the federal governments of both countries to unveil the scam. Enough is enough!

Message 1 of 213
latest reply
212 REPLIES 212

And how do you know it's a scam?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 213
latest reply

Please explain in more detail.

Message 3 of 213
latest reply

That is a tad bitter.

I assume you will be following through with police charges?

Message 4 of 213
latest reply

Word of the day "fraudulously".

Message 5 of 213
latest reply

Fraudulously.

I can't say that. How do you pronounce it? What does it mean?

Message 6 of 213
latest reply

is it a fee or a tax..

imposed upon the Ebay Community...

It is unfair or unjust taxation..or levy

this is because of stores..its was once a free TRADE platform.

Now other hidden fees are upon us...

shame ebay..shame on u

time to rate the dsr's fer the commpany

Message 7 of 213
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@habanera4ima wrote:

By using fraudulously the term "custom fees", they are not only lying to ebay buyers, but also to official authorities who are not getting these extra "custom fees".

I can't find the term "customs fees" anywhere in the Global Shipping Program terms and conditions pages for either buyers or sellers (on the .com site).

You seem to be making fraudulous claims.

Message 8 of 213
latest reply

@zoomrr69 wrote:

is it a fee or a tax..

imposed upon the Ebay Community...

It is unfair or unjust taxation..or levy

this is because of stores..its was once a free TRADE platform.

Now other hidden fees are upon us...

shame ebay..shame on u

time to rate the dsr's fer the commpany

Imposed by the ebay community?  Really?

So we're going to be getting a cut of those charges?  How's that gonna work?

And I'd like to know when ebay was ever a free trade platform.....

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 9 of 213
latest reply

Only countries that have a systems in place to collect pre-paid customs fees are in the GSP, there is a minum charge of $4.95 USD collected by customs, not Pitney Bowes.

Pitney Bowes does not collect customs fees then pass them on, no countery is that stupid.

Message 10 of 213
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I am concerned  it is a scam that we have to pay the so-called import charges.  I have been receiving an average of 20 packages/parcels from USA weekly and have never been dinged for the import charges.

As for eBay offering US sellers the Global Shipping Program (GPS) claiming that we don't have to "worry" about custom border, etc., etc.

eBay/Pitney Bowes actually think we would be that dumb to fell for the GSP???!!!  I knew that many items that we buy from USA will NEVER be dinged for the so-called import charges.  We prefer to take risks when the custom borders decided to stop our packages/parcels but we fully knew it won't happen.  So why should I have to pay the so-called import charges to eBay/Pitney Bowes???

It is a scam and GSP is a bogus program. 

I am sure that there a lot of more and more US sellers opt out of GSP lately. 

In fact, I did bought an item from US with GSP to see how it worked!  Believe me, we can be dinged for import charges twice becasue there is NOTHING on the package saying that we already paid for the import charges!!  And what is worse with GSP, is that we have to pay the hefty postage like Priority Mail which is insane!!  And the mail delivery was way too long than should be.

It is the first and last time I would buy from any US sellers with GSP.  I received an invitation to participate eBay's survery about GSP.  Belive me, I gave them a piece of my mind that is is a bogus and scam, etc., etc. and it should be "retired" like eBay did retired eBucks for Canada. 

I knew that any US sellers with GSP are losing the potentinal buyers from Canada and International countries.  I have asked many of them to opt out of GSP when I wanted to buy their items, all of them expect one opt out of GSP.

It is a joke!!

Message 11 of 213
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

In fact, I did bought an item from US with GSP to see how it worked!  Believe me, we can be dinged for import charges twice becasue there is NOTHING on the package saying that we already paid for the import charges!!  And what is worse with GSP, is that we have to pay the hefty postage like Priority Mail which is insane!!  And the mail delivery was way too long than should be.

So were you charged taxes twice on the item or are you just concerned that taxes could be charged a second time?  Your post isn't clear about this.

Do you recall who handled the shipping from the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky to Canada?  I doubt it was the U.S. postal service, so I don't think it was Priority "Mail" that you paid for.  Who did the actual delivery in Canada?

Message 12 of 213
latest reply

I don't see getting charged twice being a problem, pre-paid customs packages are handled by a separate customs department.

I would be great if sellers would be able to Opt-Out by Country though because GSP is not a good deal for Canada but Is for Australia.

Message 13 of 213
latest reply

@black*max wrote:

I would be great if sellers would be able to Opt-Out by Country though because GSP is not a good deal for Canada but Is for Australia.

Try doing some number-crunching sometime.  It likely depends on the item.  I compared a listing for a $600 mobile phone using GSP with a similar one where the seller was sending the item by USPS's Priority International service (probably not the best choice of mailing method, but it is what it is).  Assuming that the one sent by Priority International would be assessed taxes by CBSA and Canada Post would also levy a US$9.40 charge (at current exchange rates), the one sent through the GSP came out almost US$20 cheaper overall.

Message 14 of 213
latest reply

The problem as I see it, is that you are not given a shipping method option. as the buyer who pays for shipping you should have a selection of services for delivery, even within USPS listings there are tiers at different prices. with GSP you are only given GSP as the option, it should be your choice or at least a multiple one.

Another problem is GSP does not (conveniently perhaps) understand what items are eligible for NAFTA exemption and which are not as ive come across several items that were charged full tax when they should not have been, being made 100% in the USA as stated clearly on the item.

some auctions will also not calculate the import and duty fees until AFTER you've committed to purchase the item and legally/contractually you would be obligated to pay the potential high end of the fees (which im still not sure how theyre calculated exactly). listings like this should be especially overlooked, as its ridiculous to commit to seomthing with out knowing the full price you are obligated to pay. You wouldnt sign a broker or agent without knowing their exact commission expectations, would you?

There are accounts on here of people being charged a brokerage fee at delivery after using the GSP program as the package was picked up at the border and delivered by FedEX.

buried deep in ebays own terms of service i.e "cover our asses from class action lawsuits" it states:

" i. Exclusions. You alone are responsible for any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to (or made available for pickup at) the delivery address specified by you.

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html "

despite auctions stating "No additional import charges at delivery!" anyone can see that this is devious. maybe the exclamation mark in that statement doubles as an asterisk. it almost sounds like a guarantee thats not actually a guarantee because you have no recourse, when using ebay you agree to their mighty iron clad ToS.

This GSP program also demonstrates ebay couldnt care less about the American economy since its only U.S sellers that have the privilege of participating in this program so when you see the exact same listing right below the one above with no customs or import fees because it comes from a far away land, who honestly wouldnt skip the 30% punishment for using ebays GSP? American sellers are also completely unaware of the import charges their GSP streamlined listings carry, as it does not show this information to them. this is unfair to the seller as it puts their competitive edge as a disadvantage to those who opt out of the shipping service.. once ebay adds a "sort - price + shipping AND IMPORT FEES: lowest first" most international buyers will never even see listings from american sellers, which is probably why their search results do not filter for import and duty fee add-ons. Sellers also have to ship the item to a GSP mailing center for processing, an extra step that delays delivery of your item indefinitely.

I have no problem paying taxes; roads need maintaining, children need educating, and emergency workers need a paycheck. but no one can honestly say ebay and pitney bowes wont make tens of millions off this little venture, probably more than my government will see as a result. Lets not blur the lines -ebay IS a business with shareholders who demand quarterly results usually with a "+" next to a number. This is a straight up, underhanded price gouge aimed at the international buyer that hurts American sellers. It is a way for ebay to tax global sales all for the benefit of their bottom line.

All I expect is clarity and fairness in my purchasing transactions, as a consumer that should not be an unrealistic request.

I hesitate more and more over purchases on here,

so Ebay explain your self, before someone says "if you dont like it, dont use it" and I will agree.

alternatively Etsy and Ebid are looking more attractive each and every day.

Message 15 of 213
latest reply

Another problem is GSP does not (conveniently perhaps) understand what items are eligible for NAFTA exemption and which are not as ive come across several items that were charged full tax when they should not have been, being made 100% in the USA as stated clearly on the item.

I'm confused by this statement.  If we didn't have to pay full tax on NAFTA items, then items made in Mexico and the USA that we purchase from stores shouldn't be subject to sales taxes, either.

Are you confusing taxes with duty?

buried deep in ebays own terms of service i.e "cover our assets from class action lawsuits" it states:

" i. Exclusions. You alone are responsible for any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to (or made available for pickup at) the delivery address specified by you.

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html "

despite auctions stating "No additional import charges at delivery!" anyone can see that this is devious. maybe the exclamation mark in that statement doubles as an asterisk. it almost sounds like a guarantee thats not actually a guarantee because you have no recourse, when using ebay you agree to their mighty iron clad ToS.

News flash:  Contracts and service agreements are about covering the area below one's tailbone.  That's why we have them in the first place!

Having said that, it strikes me as extremely unlikely that Canada Border Services would try any sort of double-dipping trick.  In any event, there's an appeals procedure the importer can make through that agency should that occur and the importer should have an iron-clad case.

This GSP program also demonstrates ebay couldnt care less about the American economy since its only U.S sellers that have the privilege of participating in this program so when you see the exact same listing right below the one above with no customs or import fees because it comes from a far away land, who honestly wouldnt skip the 30% punishment for using ebays GSP?

How is trying to encourage more sellers to export their items not caring less about the American economy, or eBay's bottom line, even?  What's good for General eBay is good for the USA, after all.  😉

I have no problem paying taxes; roads need maintaining, children need educating, and emergency workers need a paycheck. but no one can honestly say ebay and pitney bowes wont make tens of millions off this little venture, probably more than my government will see as a result. Lets not blur the lines -ebay IS a business with shareholders who demand quarterly results usually with a "+" next to a number. This is a straight up, underhanded price gouge aimed at the international buyer that hurts American sellers. It is a way for ebay to tax global sales all for the benefit of their bottom line.

If you have "no problem paying taxes," then you should have no problem with the Global Shipping Program.  Indeed, you should be embracing it because it's collecting taxes that are going increasingly uncollected for shipments made through the postal system.  It sounds to me as though you've never had to pay taxes on an item valued at more than C$20 that's been sent from the U.S. by mail, but the possibility of that always exists.  And those taxed items would also be subject to a C$9.95 processing charge from Canada Post.

Message 16 of 213
latest reply

I'm confused by this statement.  If we didn't have to pay full tax on NAFTA items, then items made in Mexico and the USA that we purchase from stores shouldn't be subject to sales taxes, either.

Are you confusing taxes with duty?

these ebay GSP fees show no discretion between NAFTA items and NON NAFTA items. same jeans, same value, one is made in China one is made 100% in USA, same import charges, something is awry

GSP import charges are described by ebay as:

"This amount includes applicable customs duties, taxes, brokerage and other fees." so if NAFTA was formulated into the equation one would deduce that they should NOT indeed be the same price under the GSP program. i also appreciate the term ebay calls "other fees" how vague, just pay it without knowing what other fees actually are, or maybe NAFTA items are the same price because "other fees" pick up the slack where nafta deflated the price.

News flash:  Contracts and service agreements are about covering the area below one's tailbone.  That's why we have them in the first place!

not disputing that, my point was exposing contradicting promises to those who may not have noticed the false guarantee so blatantly advertised, only to be untrue. you seem ok with the way this is presented, sympathetic even, as if when it happens to you, you wouldnt mind being slighted.

Having said that, it strikes me as extremely unlikely that Canada Border Services would try any sort of double-dipping trick.  In any event, there's an appeals procedure the importer can make through that agency should that occur and the importer should have an iron-clad case.

it was fedex, who double dipped the brokerage fees on a GSP purchase, it DID happen, and yeah you could appeal it, multiple calls, at least 45minutes on the phone, 6-8 weeks maybe you'll get a cheque. you shouldnt have to request a refund from a billion dollar company that doesnt have all the kinks worked out and is offering a service youre paying a premium for, that is not world class service, but extra work for you, their customer.

but that is irrelevant anyways, if you did dispute the double charge they would release the hounds the paperwork is already in order:

" i. Exclusions. You alone are responsible for any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to (or made available for pickup at) the delivery address specified by you." Sincerely, ebay lawyer

How is trying to encourage more sellers to export their items not caring less about the American economy, or eBay's bottom line, even?  What's good for General eBay is good for the USA, after all.

im not sure if youre being facetious here, or dont fully understand how the economies of business work.

how is now including a middle man that increases the price of service, cutting out the government USPS, or charging a levy to use USPS encouraging to foreign buyers? look around, there are threads of international buyers who skip over any listings with these added fees, taking their cyber shopping trips to anywhere but american sellers who offer this program.

If you believe ebay added this service for the good of the nation and not being a business with fiduciary responsibilities to their investors you are seriously deluded. ebay it self has bean counters that creatively keep them from paying their fare share to your american government (albeit within the letter of the law). depsite being founded in the land of opportunity and their love affair with american sellers, their actions are to channel payments through other countries +corporate tax rates in order to make more and pay less, some gratitude huh, these are published facts, no conspiracies here. this is nothing new in business either, all the cool kids are doing it; facebook, apple, google uses ireland bermuda bahamas as their base of operations. thats all fine and good, thats the culture of corporations, just dont be naive about it.

If you have "no problem paying taxes," then you should have no problem with the Global Shipping Program.  Indeed, you should be embracing it because it's collecting taxes that are going increasingly uncollected for shipments made through the postal system.  It sounds to me as though you've never had to pay taxes on an item valued at more than C$20 that's been sent from the U.S. by mail, but the possibility of that always exists.  And those taxed items would also be subject to a C$9.95 processing charge from Canada Post.

GSP is a corporate program, paying taxes is a federal one. GSP is not a complimentary service run by ebay for the good of my government, they will take their share for brokering the service which will add to their revenue stream, if not, it would not exist. they would not launch this program and pay programmers only to bare no fruit for their efforts. they are reinventing their service overall in the hopes of squeezing extra revenue.

and I have in fact paid taxes on items coming from the U.S several times; electronics, an air pump, camera lens, so on and so on... but there was no brokerage fee attached to them, just cold hard taxes that went straight to parliament hill and all in a delivery time of 1 week, not several as what would be added by a third party shipping facility. I just do not see the purpose or the value of forcing down the throats of foreign buyers a third party shipping company that adds $35 minimum to each transaction, if for no reason other than to increase revenue. Pitney Bowes NYSE:PBI revenue up $5.3Billion with a B, no kidding.

also pay my taxes every year and on everything I buy daily. So ebay, charge me taxes on behalf of my government fairly according to the ACTUAL proper categorical scaled value of an item, be transparent in your charges, dont use the term "...other fees" "rust proof proofing" and give me an arbitrary dollar amount. I want to see exactly what im paying for like on any receipt, I want taxes represented as a % of the value and the duty amount, fair is fair. if you cant tell me what im paying for you shouldnt be charging me for it, or then its obviously profiteering with a little bit of taxes added in as guise to justify it.

somehow you seem ok with paying extra service fees and dont seem insulted by their weasel wording, defending evil empire as it were, do you own ebay stock?

Message 17 of 213
latest reply

".. but there was no brokerage fee attached to them,"

???

If importing by mail, Canada Post does charge $9.95 brokerage fee (handling cost) for every parcel where tax is collected.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

The brokerage fee charged by Pitney Bowes seems to start around $5 (as reported by many buyers) and goes up with the value of the goods.

Message 18 of 213
latest reply

These ebay GSP fees show no discretion between NAFTA items and NON NAFTA items. same jeans, same value, one is made in China one is made 100% in USA, same import charges, something is awry.

You may recall that in the news a few months ago was a piece on how Ottawa is phasing out "developing nation" status for China when it comes to imports.  I doubt that a pair of jeans from China sees duty being slapped on them, or it may be that the duty on a Chinese pair of jeans from the U.S. is treated as "value added" and already factored into the price of the item.

not disputing that, my point was exposing contradicting promises to those who may not have noticed the false guarantee so blatantly advertised, only to be untrue. you seem ok with the way this is presented, sympathetic even, as if when it happens to you, you wouldnt mind being slighted.

All I'm saying is that a contract lawyer who had nothing to do with the marketing of the GSP likely insisted that PB put this in the terms and conditions.  Just because somebody is looking out for PB's interests doesn't make the GSP a necessarily evil proposition.

it was fedex, who double dipped the brokerage fees on a GSP purchase, it DID happen, and yeah you could appeal it, multiple calls, at least 45minutes on the phone, 6-8 weeks maybe you'll get a cheque. you shouldnt have to request a refund from a billion dollar company that doesnt have all the kinks worked out and is offering a service youre paying a premium for, that is not world class service, but extra work for you, their customer.

but that is irrelevant anyways, if you did dispute the double charge they would release the hounds the paperwork is already in order:

OK, now we're finally getting somewhere.  How did FedEx collect these fees?  Normally with COD import charges for ground shipments from the U.S., FedEx delivers the item and then follows up with a letter or invoice requesting payment.  If the importer refuses to pay the invoice, the charges revert to the exporter (in this case, the Global Shipping Center).  Was a different procedure followed here that didn't include the possibility of refusing the shipment?

And did you try contacting the Global Shipping Team at any point in this debacle?  My wife was once charged unnecessary taxes and fees for a free advance copy of a book from the United States that the publisher had shipped by FedEx Ground.  She contacted the publisher who contacted FedEx and the situation was resolved.  This wasn't a GSP transaction, of course, so YMMV.

If nothing else, Pitney Bowes should be made aware that some of their contractors or sub-contractors are dropping the ball here.

im not sure if youre being facetious here, or dont fully understand how the economies of business work.

how is now including a middle man that increases the price of service, cutting out the government USPS, or charging a levy to use USPS encouraging to foreign buyers? look around, there are threads of international buyers who skip over any listings with these added fees, taking their cyber shopping trips to anywhere but american sellers who offer this program.

I'm not sure you're being facetious here or you don't understand that there are some businesses that want as little to do with government operations and services as possible.  😉

The GSP doesn't necessarily increase the cost of shipping over the postal system, by the way.  I'm not sure what province you're in, but have a look at listing 281142229834.  US$500 Smartphone, $15.04 shipping price to me in BC, and $28.75 in import charges.

A Smartphone should attract 12% in taxes for me, which would be US$60.  Even if the phone's just subject to the GST, that's US$25 in import charges, leaving less than four bucks for Pitney Bowes and eBay.

Conservatively estimating the shipping weight of that item at 300 grams, sending that phone by USPS Express would be at least $35.48 and by Priority $27.40.  And if the item gets nabbed by CBSA, you're looking at another tax(es) plus nine plus bucks US for Canada Post.  Even if the item doesn't get dinged for taxes through the postal system, I think the shipping price plus import charges for the GSP in this case are pretty darned reasonable when compared.

You really need to look at when the GSP is a reasonable option in terms of pricing and when it isn't, rather than tar all GSP listings with the same brush.

What the GSP is offering isn't significantly different than what Borderfree offers many U.S. retail clients, by the way.  If you have issues with the GSP, you probably won't want to purchase online from a number of U.S. retailers. 

Oh, yeah.  Borderfree used to be owned by Canada Post Corporation.

Message 19 of 213
latest reply

There appears to have been  major adjustment in GSP import fees to Canada over the past few weeks.

Maybe  PB has been listening to us...

Message 20 of 213
latest reply