Pitney Bowes: unjustified extra fees: huge scam: who will stop this scam?

This "third party" Pitney Bowes is running a disgusting scam on eBay! How can customers make ebay aware that this is a fraud ? This third party does not represent official customs an does not give US or Canadian customs any money, they put it all in their pockets. By using fraudulously the term "custom fees", they are not only lying to ebay buyers, but also to official authorities who are not getting these extra "custom fees". Sellers! Why do you make business with these people? they are stealing money from you and from your customers! If ebay cannot or will not take action, this fraud issue will be taken directly to the federal governments of both countries to unveil the scam. Enough is enough!

Message 1 of 213
latest reply
212 REPLIES 212

The regular posters here are sellers who buy now and then, but we are predominantly a group of sellers posting about a buyer's issue.

I think I'm probably on the buying/selling line more than the other regular posters are.

I didn't post here until I started selling, and buyers don't tend to stick around the board, but to see a buyer's point of view go to the buyer's board and check out all the one-shot-posts from buyers.

They are not analyzing the GSP to smithereens.

They are quite simply not loving it.

However, as sellers, we have good reason to cheer the GSP on.

If the GSP continues as it has Canadian buyers will leave eBay or they will start buying Canadian more often.   I'm pretty sure it will be the former, but I don't know that.

However, Canadian sales are certainly not major for me and I have the impression that's true for most of us posting here.

My overseas buyers are more important.

Those of us who sell overseas stand to gain a lot from the GSP.

There are reasons for sellers to support the program, but the points I've read so far aren't among them.

Message 101 of 213
latest reply

"Those of us who sell overseas stand to gain a lot from the GSP.

There are reasons for sellers to support the program"

???

You are the first poster so far to support the program.  I am amazed. I am both a seller and buyer but my reasons to oppose the program were clearly stated over three months ago (June 5th) in the weekly hour with eBay staff:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/June-5th-Weekly-Board-Hour/m-p/93366#U93366

That post was repeated a few days ago answering eBay's request for comments.

Message 102 of 213
latest reply

Pierre, you obviously only read and/or retain what suits you (as we all do), but I've posted many times that Canadian sellers can benefit by the GSP...................... as long as Canadian buyers don't leave (but even that may not matter too much).

I've been posting that ever since the GSP first appeared.

Buyers?  Not so much.

Message 103 of 213
latest reply

Smiley Wink

Message 104 of 213
latest reply

OK....... Pierre......... I'm not sure if that smile means you agree with me (that would be a first)  or something else.

If you are agreeing, then why did you post that pre-paying tax would not stop buyers from buying from the States in post #162?

I agree that it would not the way companies like LL bean collect, but the GSP?  That's another story.

The only reason I pointed out the difference between the way those companies and the GSP pre-collect is because you want to compare the two when there is no comparison.

I've posted a number to times that the GSP is a gift to Canadian sellers (as long as Canadian buyers don't leave).

I don't understand why Canadian sellers are objecting to it so much.

Sure it's a PITA when they buy, but for occasional buyers purchasing only a handful of items a month the costs are very low compared to the potential gains.

My objections to the GSP are as a buyer................. but I can deal with it better than most.

Moreover, my objections in relation to the GSP posts are the way posters are responding to upset buyers because those posts are missing the mark by a mile.

Message 105 of 213
latest reply

OK, so perhaps an expensive item was a bad example due to the actual enforcement of taxes, insurance etc. I just utilized that instance as I noticed a huge difference in the shipping prices provided by the sellers on their listings.  I personally purchase books that cost at very most $150 each, usually most being priced around $5-30 each, with most packages ordered being around the range of $20-60. 

For buyers such as myself that are Not spending thousands of dollars per purchase, shipping sent through a middleman such as Pitney and Bowes will always cost more for various reasons.  First is the double shipping cost where we have to pay a domestic shipping charge from the seller to PB which adds $4 for a small envelope and $10 for a small flat rate box, and up depending on size and that is on top of the international mail costs which are all that we usually pay for with USPS. 

Next is the so-called "import fee" to Canada which dubiously makes it sound as though it is a fee to cover import duty.  While importing (almost all) items into Canada under $20 or if it is declared as a gift and under $60, then there is No Duty and No Taxes.  In my specific case this duty exemption does not apply to books, magazines, or periodicals (also not tobacco or alcohol).  However under NAFTA there is No Duty on American manufactured items, which these books are.  Also there is No Duty as books are covered under the CBSA Customs Tariff Schedule – Section X – Article 49.01 - Printed Books, Brochures etc. - As all paper and paperboard and articles thereof are MFN Tariff Free.

Also, the taxes charged by Pitney Bowes may be incorrect and too high for the item under Canada's federal and provincial tax laws.  Some provinces still charge GST 5% and PST 8%, some more some less, while others such as Ontario charge HST 13%.  The majority of comic books are published monthly and would fall under "magazines, periodicals" charged at 13% - but not all.  A periodical is "a publication that is issued under the same title at regular intervals" whereas many comic books are not in this category and would be considered printed books and some even have assigned ISBN numbers just the same as other novels etc.  There are many One-shots, Trade Paperbacks, Hardcover comic books, 'Annuals' that are not regularly printed every year, and some comics that are not printed at irregular intervals.  All these instances would just as novels etc. be charged only 5% GST not the 13% HST as all printed books are PST exempt.                

I personally buy mostly personal belongings from private sellers, although also many times from online stores.  These sellers are selling used items (mostly books) in their possession for 20-60 years (not antiques over 100+ yrs) and since they are not a registered business they do not charge taxes.   As such it is totally up to Canada Customs CBSA to charge taxes.  Over the years I have bought thousands of books from hundreds of US sellers and CBSA has never charged taxes.  If there is duty or tax owing, then CBSA would attach a form E14, CBSA Postal Import Form, and yet I have never even once ever received a form or had to pay taxes on a book purchase.  Therefore Pitney Bowes always charging taxes does cost more than USPS which Canada apparently does not enforce taxes on for small purchases.

Of course there is also the brokerage fee for being a middleman.  Nowhere can I find any info in regards to how much profit Pitney Bowes makes per purchase or lump sum amount or anything else other than the note that that they have an "agreement" with e-bay.  But just to look at one random book as an example here is a copy of "Pet Sematary" by Stephen King. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PET-SEMATARY-STEPHEN-KING-1983-True-First-1st-Edition-with-Code-Inside-/29091...

To a US buyer this book would cost $52.97 + $4.00 domestic shipping TOTAL = $56.97

To Ontario, Canada through USPS this would cost $52.97 + $12.87 international shipping, + no duty and probably no taxes from CBSA *although if there were it would be 5% GST = $2.65 TOTAL = $68.49

To Ontario, Canada through Pitney and Bowes this would cost $52.97 + $4.00 domestic shipping + $12.87 international shipping + $10.66 import charge TOTAL = $80.50

*That makes for a $12.01 difference ($14.66 if no taxes charged by CBSA) in price just for a book.  Even when you subtract the $4.00 charge for double shipping Pitney and Bowes still makes $8.01 brokerage fee just for this single book.  Then multiply that by the millions of items shipped globally each year. 

Now imagine if e-bay implemented a "domestic shipping program" through Pitney and Bowes on US buyers.  Whereas US residents purchasing through e-bay would have to pay domestic shipping to a PB warehouse on top of domestic shipping to the buyer, and US state taxes on all items, and a brokerage fee, and then if they wanted to opt out of the program they would have to first clear a dozen hurdles and jump through some hoops just to send packages through USPS mail instead.  It probably wouldn’t last more than the first day before that idea was totally derailed. 

In my opinion all e-bay would need to have done with this Pitney and Bowes global shipping program to make it fair for buyers and sellers alike, is to simply offer it as a CHOICE for shipping.  It could easily have been made an option at checkout, such as you can choose with USPS by selecting Priority Mail vs. First Class Mail for a higher shipping rate when paying for your purchase.  If the sellers could easily offer the program if they wanted by choice and then buyers could easily accept or decline using Pitney and Bowes as a courier choice and select a different shipping method as offered by the seller, then this entire global shipping program would never have been an issue. 

Message 106 of 213
latest reply

@1bluecharger wrote:

In my opinion all e-bay would need to have done with this Pitney and Bowes global shipping program to make it fair for buyers and sellers alike, is to simply offer it as a CHOICE for shipping.  It could easily have been made an option at checkout, such as you can choose with USPS by selecting Priority Mail vs. First Class Mail for a higher shipping rate when paying for your purchase.  If the sellers could easily offer the program if they wanted by choice and then buyers could easily accept or decline using Pitney and Bowes as a courier choice and select a different shipping method as offered by the seller, then this entire global shipping program would never have been an issue. 

I agree with you completely.  This is my primary criticism of the GSP (see my Post #100) -- not that it's just a badly-designed programme (which it is), but that it's foisted on sellers and buyers alike in a disgraceful manner.  

The trouble is, if people were actually given a choice, I think they'd opt out the majority of the time.  This would directly affect P-B's earnings in this scheme and, as I pointed out earlier, likely also impact eBay's obligations under the contract (one of which I imagine was to diligently promote the programme to its sellers and buyers).  

The truth probably is that both companies are locked into bed with each other in this rather nasty little scheme.  We'll never know whether eBay wants out of it now -- I doubt they have any choice but to continue.  

The only hope I can see is that if the word gets out far and wide amongst eBay users, and enough sellers actually stop opting in (or opt out) and enough buyers avoid GSP listings, the financial rewards to P-B may drop off enough that the programme will be scrapped.  

You never know -- there may be an opt-out for clause for P-B itself, in the event revenue from the programme drops below a certain threshold.  We can hope that is the case...in the meantime, the best we can do is spread the word...Woman Frustrated

Message 107 of 213
latest reply

Rose........... may I ask why you seem to be against the GSP as much as you are?  

Maybe you have an altruistic motive and feel for Canadian buyers, but as a seller it can only help you.

Message 108 of 213
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@chimera148 wrote:

@1bluecharger wrote:

-Seller 2 = Fantastic Four #1 = $2499.99 US

shipping = $89.53 US + import fee $349.97 US = $439.50 !!!!!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-1-CGC-2-5-OFF-WHITE-PAGES-11-61-1st-APP-ORIGIN-FANTASTIC-FOUR-...           

In BC, the import charges shown are 146.00, and 89.53 for shipping.

That seller charges $50 for domestic US shipping which is included in the $89.53

The $349.97 "import charges"

Ontario HST would be $325, leaving $24.97 for "brokerage", more than the $12.95 Canada Post would charge but less than what UPS or FedEx would charge on a package of that value. 

I was curious about the difference in import charges between those charged to the OP, 349.97, and the 146.00 shown for BC where PST/GST is 12%.

Maybe the import charges shown on the item listing are not accurate for BC, or the item is exempt from some taxes in BC.

Message 109 of 213
latest reply

recped wrote

Now add another issue into the mix, USPS does not offer ANY service to Canada with Siganture confimation so to be protected (and I would want to be on a $2500 item) they would have to use UPS or FedEx which would be even more expensive.

I'm not sure what the USPS policy on Signature Confirmation is right now, but the last 2 packages I received via USPS and CP required my signature in May and June.

A US seller thought it may have been because of "Restricted Delivery" and it was discussed here : 

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Packaging-Shipping/Shipping-to-Canada/m-p/3113660#M11239

Restricted Delivery.JPG

Message 110 of 213
latest reply

@i*m-still-here wrote:

Rose........... may I ask why you seem to be against the GSP as much as you are?  

Maybe you have an altruistic motive and feel for Canadian buyers, but as a seller it can only help you.

For three reasons:

1)  Because I buy fairly often from US eBay sellers;

2)  I really don't think the volume of international purchases from Canadian sellers will offset the extra amounts being paid by Canadian buyers purchasing from US sellers (if that isn't too convoluted).  I don't think the argument that Canadian sellers will benefit is well founded.  It may appear logical theoretically, but I doubt it will have any significant impact in reality, and I've seen no unbiased attempt to measure its impact. 

3)  Most importantly, I dislike dishonest schemes, and what I mean by that is something dressed up as being advantageous (for seller and buyer in the case of GSP), without disclosing the full details of who is paying what to whom, and without giving either seller or buyer an open choice.  

The reason I dislike this particular scheme is because I believe the end effect will be to drive a lot of buyers and sellers away from eBay.  For example, a Canadian buyer who is fairly new to eBay, buys a $50 item from a US seller with GSP, thinking the GSP is doing him a favour and that's he'll be getting his parcel via a streamlined route with charges prepaid -- sounds great!  What he doesn't realize - and isn't told in advance - is that part of his money is going to a middleman, that the parcel is going through a hub, possibly to be repackaged, that he'll be paying taxes he might not have been asked to pay by Canada Border Services, and that it will likely take longer to receive.  

Not only will he be upset at the seller (thinking, quite justifiably, that the seller hoodwinked him), but he may decide not to come back to eBay at all, and I wouldn't blame him.  I doubt that many Canadian buyers on eBay, having had a bad experience with the GSP, will realize that it doesn't apply where Canadian sellers are concerned.  Most Canadian eBayers go to .com to purchase anyway.  Upset buyers won't turn to Canadian sellers unless they're aware the GSP doesn't exist here.  Honestly, even sellers had enough trouble trying to understand what the GSP system entailed.  

As a final note, I have a personal GSP experience to relate: I recently decided, against my better judgment, to purchase some fabric that I couldn't find anywhere else, from a fairly new US seller who showed GSP shipping.  This was an item I'd searched everywhere for, that I'd found only offered by this seller, and at a decent price.  I emailed the seller, asking if she'd consider opting out of the GSP on this listing.  

The reply was that she had no idea what the GSP was -- she thought I was asking for a shipping reduction, and said she couldn't reduce the shipping amount.  Sigh.  I really felt sympathy for her -- she obviously had no understanding whatsoever of what she'd opted into, and no idea that it would be driving away Canadian buyers.  EBay told her it would be good for her, and she swallowed hook, line and sinker (as they say).  Had I not been a seasoned buyer, I'd have had no idea either.  I suggested she check out the discussion boards.  I hope they'll enlighten her.  

Message 111 of 213
latest reply

Rose...... Good points all of them.....

Your point #2 is a little hard to understand.  Theoretically, if all US sellers list via the GSP, then Canadian sellers will benefit because competition form US sellers will be greatly reduced.

That is..........IF these buyers stick around.

I agree the scheme is dishonest........... but it's also offensive.

EBay has gone to great lengths to force sellers to keep the cost of shipping down, bury shipping costs, decrease shipping time, ensure better communication and customer relations etc.

They punish sellers who don't comply.

THEN........ when they have something to gain by it, they do an abrupt about face and force a program that increases shipping costs and time and ruins customer relations.

Like those things never mattered to them at all.

I find that hard to swallow................. kinda makes you lose all respect for the folks, doesn't it?

Message 112 of 213
latest reply

@1bluecharger wrote:

Of course there is also the brokerage fee for being a middleman.  Nowhere can I find any info in regards to how much profit Pitney Bowes makes per purchase or lump sum amount or anything else other than the note that that they have an "agreement" with e-bay.  But just to look at one random book as an example here is a copy of "Pet Sematary" by Stephen King. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PET-SEMATARY-STEPHEN-KING-1983-True-First-1st-Edition-with-Code-Inside-/29091...

To a US buyer this book would cost $52.97 + $4.00 domestic shipping TOTAL = $56.97

To Ontario, Canada through USPS this would cost $52.97 + $12.87 international shipping, + no duty and probably no taxes from CBSA *although if there were it would be 5% GST = $2.65 TOTAL = $68.49

To Ontario, Canada through Pitney and Bowes this would cost $52.97 + $4.00 domestic shipping + $12.87 international shipping + $10.66 import charge TOTAL = $80.50

*That makes for a $12.01 difference ($14.66 if no taxes charged by CBSA) in price just for a book.  Even when you subtract the $4.00 charge for double shipping Pitney and Bowes still makes $8.01 brokerage fee just for this single book.  Then multiply that by the millions of items shipped globally each year. 

I'm in Alberta and for that listing the import charge is $6.33 so that would be $2.65 GST and $3.68 service charge from PB. Most of their service chargesbrokerage fees  that I've noticed seem to be around the $3-$4 range. Because the Ontario rate is $10.66 they must be charging $6.89 HST and $3.77 service charge. I'm not familiar with the provincial taxes regarding books but if there is no provincial tax due on them, then PB is charging the wrong amount.

I just want to comment on a couple of your examples..no offense intended. The $12.87 that PB charges is not a regular USPS rate as they do get bulk discounts. If the seller was to send the book directly to the buyer and the book & packaging were between 2-3 lbs, the first class cost would be $15-$20. If the seller insisted on sending it Priority the cost might be $20 if it could fit in a flat rate envelope but I suspect that it would be too big so the  cost would be $29 -$41. Assuming that no tax was charged at the border, the total cost would be $68 - $94. It does make a huge difference on which USPS service the seller is willing to use.

Also, if tax was charged at the border, there would also be a service charge of $9.95 from Canada Post but as you said, that is unlikely.

In my opinion all e-bay would need to have done with this Pitney and Bowes global shipping program to make it fair for buyers and sellers alike, is to simply offer it as a CHOICE for shipping.

Absolutely agree with that.

Message 113 of 213
latest reply

chimera148 wrote

I was curious about the difference in import charges between those charged to the OP, 349.97, and the 146.00 shown for BC where PST/GST is 12%.

Maybe the import charges shown on the item listing are not accurate for BC, or the item is exempt from some taxes in BC.

I've noticed quite a few times that PB has charged for gst only in the provinces that don't have HST.

I'm not sure what the USPS policy on Signature Confirmation is right now, but the last 2 packages I received via USPS and CP required my signature in May and June.

I've always had to sign for some Priority and some Express packages as CP treats them as Expresspost. But that has always been sporadic.

Message 114 of 213
latest reply

Re: I just want to comment on a couple of your examples..no offense intended.

***I sincerely appreciate the input.  I am only a small buyer and have never sold anything online ever before so this is all just a learning experience for me, and I am just here trying to educate myself with import charges and tax laws etc.  I find the discussion here in the seller's forum interesting as all those posting here are very knowledgeable in regards to international shipping costs and regulations and this ebay global shipping program.  This is all new to me as I have just ordered a book through Pitney and Bowes for the first time ever last week.       

Re: Also, if tax was charged at the border, there would also be a service charge of $9.95 from Canada Post

Canada Post handling fee

"When items are imported by mail, the Canada Post Corporation is authorized to charge the recipient a fee for collecting and remitting the duty and taxes owed to the government. There is a $5 handling fee for mail items and an $8 fee for express mail items. If your mail item is duty- and/or tax-free, you do not have to pay a fee."

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5092-eng.pdf

***In my opinion this means that even if a tax was charged at the border there would be no service charge from Canada Post since the item is duty free (*and/or)

Re: I'm not familiar with the provincial taxes regarding books but if there is no provincial tax due on them, then PB is charging the wrong amount.

"The governments of Ontario and British Columbia have each announced that they will provide a point-of-sale rebate of the provincial part of the HST payable on qualifying books. The CRA and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will administer these rebates on behalf of the governments of Ontario and British Columbia."

"You do not have to pay the provincial part of the HST (i.e. 8 percent) on books at the time you import them. However, you will have to pay the remaining tax (i.e. 5 percent) if the publisher has not already collected it from you."

"Example 7"

"An internet-based company located in Oregon (USA) sells and ships two hardcover novels to a consumer that is resident in Ontario. The company is not registered for GST/HST purposes. The novels will be qualifying books for purposes of the rebate.

If the consumer is the importer of the books, the consumer will have to pay the 5% federal part of the HST on the importation of the books. The CBSA will automatically deduct the rebate of the 8% provincial part of the HST on the imported books."

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/gi-065/gi-065-e.pdf

***In my opinion Pitney Bowes is overcharging taxes on items sold and pocketing the profits and nobody will ever know since there is no breakdown of their "import charges" stating amount paid for taxes or for any duty or what amount for brokerage fees.   Not that it matters thanks to their e-bay 'agreement' stipulation: "Pitney Bowes's estimates may not always reflect actual costs to Pitney Bowes" and "You will not request, and you will not receive, a refund for the difference"  Now that's a nice gravy train to ride.

Message 115 of 213
latest reply

""When items are imported by mail, the Canada Post Corporation is authorized to charge the recipient a fee for collecting and remitting the duty and taxes owed to the government. There is a $5 handling fee for mail items and an $8 fee for express mail items. If your mail item is duty- and/or tax-free, you do not have to pay a fee.""

That is way out of date, rates were raised twice since then.  Everytime they collect tax, cp collects their $10 fee too.

Much of the problem is, a lot of the peope ranting away about gsp don't undrerstand one or more of tax, duty, CP fee, or 2013 USPS FCI rate increase

Message 116 of 213
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

There appears to have been  major adjustment in GSP import fees to Canada over the past few weeks.

Maybe  PB has been listening to us...

I'd be interested to hear more about your information on the adjustment of fees -- did you notice this through items you purchased from US sellers, or from another source?  

The reason I ask is that I think you may be right.  I recently made a purchase from a GSP US seller (an item I couldn't get elsewhere, so I bit the bullet).  I noticed the fees were less than I'd expected, although overall the transaction still would have been cheaper for me had it gone the usual USPS route.  Here is the breakdown (all in $US): 

• Item price                               $ 111.00
  • Seller's shipping charge*            19.98
  • P-B shipping charge**                 17.26
  • P-B fees (includes taxes)            13.60
  • TOTAL:                                  $  161.84

* This was seller's cost to get parcel to the P-B shipping "hub" in Kentucky

** P-B's shipping charge from their hub to my address in Canada

The P-B fees weren't broken down to show how much was tax and how much was P-B actual fee, but based on a 15% HST rate on $111.00, taxes would be $16.65.  The above figures came off my Paypal transaction details. 

A similar item of the same value and weight, shipped via USPS from NY state to NS, would have been about $24.00.  In my experience, this type of item at this value rarely gets charged tax by Canadian authorities.  Even assuming the tax were levied at 15% (I'm using a typical HST value), being $16.65 + the Canada Post $9.95 charge = $26.60 Cdn, or about $25.00 US -- the total cost would be $111.00 + $24.00 + $25.00 = $160.00 US.  

Very interesting, however, as  type of item at this value usually gets through the border tax-free, my normal cost would be $111.00 + $24.00 shipping = $135.00, a significant difference. 

This still doesn't mean that every purchase will come out even, since as I said, I find this type of item at this value usually gets through Canada Border Services free.  Even if every parcel doesn't get through tax-free, the ones that do offset the ones that don't.  And I suspect that items of lower value are even less likely to be taxed, making GSP a lot less fair on those purchases.  Which is the main complaint of Canadians about the GSP. 

However, my own grievance is with the surreptitious way the GSP is being foisted on sellers and buyers alike.  It is dishonest because there is no transparency.  I didn't find out until I had already committed to buy the item what it was going to cost me, and the seller told me he was unaware that his listings had been set up with the GSP.  Isn't there something just a little bit absurd about that?  Only if no one is making money behind the curtain.  Then it makes sense to keep the details quiet. 

Where else do you buy something and not get to review all the charges before hitting the "process purchase" button? Don't tell me eBay couldn't provide a location-specific invoicing review feature for the GSP if they really wanted to! 

Message 117 of 213
latest reply

Canada Post handling fee

"When items are imported by mail, the Canada Post Corporation is authorized to charge the recipient a fee for collecting and remitting the duty and taxes owed to the government. There is a $5 handling fee for mail items and an $8 fee for express mail items. If your mail item is duty- and/or tax-free, you do not have to pay a fee."

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5092-eng.pdf

That information is outdated. I think that they first eliminated the $5 fee and charged $8.50 for all iltems and then raised it to $9.95 in 2012.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus/news/announcements/customsfee.jsf

Canada Post has been collecting duties and taxes on behalf of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for many years, and is compensated for this service through a handling fee charged to customers. As of August 18, 2012, this handling fee will rise from $8.50 to $9.95 for all mail that has been assessed with import duties and/or taxes by CBSA.

***In my opinion this means that even if a tax was charged at the border there would be no service charge from Canada Post since the item is duty free (*and/or)

The charge is valid whenever they have to collect any amount for customs regardless if it is duty, tax, or both. They still have to do the same amount of work either way. I have had to pay gst and the $9.95 charge to CP many times.

***In my opinion Pitney Bowes is overcharging taxes on items sold and pocketing the profits and nobody will ever know since there is no breakdown of their "import charges" stating amount paid for taxes or for any duty or what amount for brokerage fees. 

That's possible but it is also possible that they are submitting all duty & taxes collecte to the Canadian government because they believe they are charging the correct amounts. At this point, there is no proof either way.

You should bring up the non taxable book situatoin to the ebay reps on Wenesday in the weekly board session. 1-2 p.m. est  They can pass the info on to the proper people.

Message 118 of 213
latest reply

SCAM !!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 119 of 213
latest reply

If you really think it is a scam, why did you buy this sport shirt a few days ago when the listing stated:

Shipping:$18.70 International Priority Shipping to Canada   | See details

Item location:Battle Ground, Washington, United States

Ships to:United States and many other countries | See details

Import charges:$20.02 (amount confirmed at checkout) ?
Message 120 of 213
latest reply