Question about clothing sale - potential return

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there! 

I had a quick question, and it is actually about a sale I made on another site -- I trust my eBay comrades valuable advice so wanted to run this (potential) situation by you for advice?

I don't sell clothing too much, and I happened to sell a vintage bathing suit.  The buyer had contacted me before purchasing with this message :  "interested, call me collect 514 *** ****, ty Liz".  Now, I don't call customers, I prefer email/message contact (I don't like it,and I am not a ¬phone¬ sales person, not good at it!), and the "call collect" threw me off.

So, I didn't answer her, and approx 10 hours later, she purchased the bathing suit with this message: 

"decided to take a chance [lol], could you please pkg so if need to return can reuse same pkg, ty, Liz".

So, it sounds like she had a few questions about it before deciding to purchase but since I did not repsond, decided to buy it anyways, as she feels she can try it on and send it back if it is not to her liking.

SO my question is, IF she returns it (groan), WHO pays for return shipping?  I carefully described it in detail, mentioned size, etc.

BUT I did not answer her inquiry (because I was uncomfortable to phone her collect).

Also --- adding an additional return bag like she wants puts my package weight  from 247 g to 273 g so the shipping goes up as it is now over the Small Parcel 0-250g rate!

Any advice would be welcome,

thanks so much!!!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I've had people return items in the same bubble bag that I originally sent the item in. Just make sure that the bag can be easily cut open and then taped shut again. She doesn't actually ask for an extra bag.

Why not write her and ask if there was some information that she wanted before you send the package?  Are you willing to

take the return?

Unless you made a mistake in the description it is always the buyer's responsibility to pay return shipping although

I don't know what rules are on that site. If you are charging her shipping to send the item and are not going to return the

original shipping if she returns you might want to mention that.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

There is the potential for a return with every item you sell.

The difference between this transaction and others is that your buyer has told you  about it.

That gives you the perfect "in" to let her own how difficult returns can be.

I'd email my phone number and ask her to call me rather than call her.  If you really really don't want to talk on the phone then let her know that email would be better for you.

Let her know that you'd be happy to answer all questions before shipping the item.

Did you mean that you sold on a different eBay id or a different site?

If on eBay and the buyer claims the item wasn't as described sellers pay return shipping.

That's one of the reasons you want to answer every question prior to shipping.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your quick replies, I appreciate it!!

I will message her about mailing it out to let her know re: paying return shipping if it comes to that.  And wonderful idea on using the same bag inside out! I will also mention that to her.

I peeked through my messages (I sold on Etsy) and she had asked me two weeks ago if the bust would fit a size 42, and I had replied that I was not 100 percent sure, but my mother-in-law (I am selling this for her) is a 38 so it may not fit her.   I may remind her of this (I have a sinking feeling that it will not fit) and mention that the return shipping will not be covered.

many thanks again!!!!! 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I will message her about mailing it out to let her know re: paying return shipping if it comes to that.  I\

-------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't mention return shipping.  It sounds contentious.

In any case, Etsy doesn't require that sellers pay return shipping so it's not an issue.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

-------------------------------------------------

In any case, Etsy doesn't require that sellers pay return shipping so it's not an issue.

Wow, I had no idea (just starting out there), thanks for this info, it is good to know!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You have her email now, on the PP payment.

Email her and explain that you cannot use the telephone (no reason to say why) but if she has any questions she can ask them now, before you ship.

No matter who pays the return shipping, you will be out the first shipping cost plus your time, if she returns.

And you could have responded to that contact either by responding within eBay Messages or by Blocking her before she bid.

I find that questions from one customer are also in the mind of other browsers, so I usually post them when I answer them. (Unless they indicate total derangement, natch.)

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

"You have her email now, on the PP payment.

Email her and explain that you cannot use the telephone (no reason to say why) but if she has any questions she can ask them now, before you ship.

No matter who pays the return shipping, you will be out the first shipping cost plus your time, if she returns.

And you could have responded to that contact either by responding within eBay Messages or by Blocking her before she bid.

I find that questions from one customer are also in the mind of other browsers, so I usually post them when I answer them. (Unless they indicate total derangement, natch.)"

OP specified this was not an ebay sale.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

True.

But I will stand by my advice.

This is one case where communication would be useful.

Better to learn the questions now and help the customer with her purchase, than to go through whatever rigamarole  St Elsewhere has for returns and refunds.

Nip the problem in the bud.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply