Raised Prices by Canadapost for parcels to USA

waterships
Community Member

Is it just me or is anyone else absolutely incensed at the 100% increase in sending small parcels to the USA from Canada? The so-called *new* parcel service is going to cost a whole lot more than the small parcel used to cost. For me it used to run about $8.00 and now it is going to be around $15-$20! My customers are quite simply not going to pay that. and of course I now have no other option. I guess Canadapost cottoned on to this little money making scheme and want their cut.

eBay shame on you for using the wrong comparisons. This new service is replacing the small parcel service so you CANNOT compare it with Expedited which is a totally different service - that is just so wrong on so many levels.

I for one want to keep the existing service at a price my customers can afford. canadapost and eBay you have just priced me and my customers out of business. Thanks a bunch.

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: Raised Prices by Canadapost for parcels to USA

durhamdeals
Community Member

Most of my listings, other than patterns....are marked as small packet.

Small packet had no tracking, but it was insured.

I'm confused about what you were reading?

If I ship a box of sewing needles...they have to be insured.

Small packet did this for about $9.00 to UK.

These needles are BULK, so are about $70.00 USA.

This same box is now over $44.00 to ship insured.

Message 81 of 85
latest reply

Nothing needs to be insured. You should use the "self insurance" method. Take a dollar from each sale and put it ina jar. IF you need to, remove money from the jar to pay a claim. You will be a lot farther ahead.

I do not buy tracking. I do not buy insurance. I ship internationally about 800-1000 times a year.

What you situation is, you have a very low tolerance for risk. My tolerance for risk, along with other higher volume sellers, is very high. We sell, ship, forget about it. So I need to refund every now and again, so what, it is simply a cost of doing business. Amortize that cost over all parcels and it comes to pennies.

Using far more economical shipping, you will sell more. Selling more increases your profit.

It sounds like you are making refunds personal. Don't. It is business. Treat it as business.

Photobucket
Message 82 of 85
latest reply

edncda
Community Member

"....while the Chines economy benefits."

Not to mention their eSellers who can make a profit (apparently) on selling dollar items with free shipping while Canadian and US eSellers are wondering why our shipping rates keep going up and how much longer we can compete on such an "unlevel" playing field.

Message 83 of 85
latest reply

edncda
Community Member

My previous comment was a "reply" to a comment posted by femmefan1946 on Dec. 30, 2012. As this is my first time posting, I didn't realize that my "reply" to his comment would simply be tacked on the end of the thread. Sorry for any confusion caused.

Anyway, I'm hoping to sell some electronic components but the same things are being listed below my cost with free shipping to boot from China. So I'm wondering how much these postal rate increases in Canada and the US are actually needed to cover the losses on delivering all the Chinese exports to North America by companies whose shipping costs are obviously being subsidised by their government (ie throw it on the boat and let the Canadians and Americans do the work.  Am I missing something? Has anyone heard of our post offices actually working on this issue?

Message 84 of 85
latest reply

If I ship a box of sewing needles...they have to be insured.

Small packet did this for about $9.00 to UK.

These needles are BULK, so are about $70.00 USA.

This same box is now over $44.00 to ship insured.

I can understand why you would be uncomfortable about losing a $70 package but you still have the option of spending the $9 or $10 to the UK and using a 3rd party insurance company to insure the package...cost would probably be around $2.

Or you can add a $1 to every package and put that money in a "self insurance cookie jar" so that if a parcel is lost, you have set aside the money to "pay" yourself. You might want to self insure packages under a certain dollar amount and then pay third party insurance for higher value packages...it's up to you as everyone has different risk tolerances. Make sure though that you know what the requirements are for these insurance companies and that you know ahead of time which countries are covered.

Message 85 of 85
latest reply