Received a best offer from guy with 0 feedback, but the price same as it is on listing

rasul_lego
Community Member

Just received an offer from some guy who has 0 feedback and the offer is the same as a original price

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Received a best offer from guy with 0 feedback, but the price same as it is on listing

That is often a sign of a scam.  If they click on buy it now they will have to pay right away.  With an offer they may ask for your email or phone number so that they can send you a fake 'item is paid for' notice.   If you haven't accepted the offer I would decline the offer and just let them know that they can make the purchase by clicking on buy now.

Is this for the Lego set?   When a new seller lists high priced items like that scammers are more likely to target you so please be careful.   You might want to start with selling less expensive items first.

Just so you know, you've posted on the Canadian boards. The rules are basically the same on both sites but most here won't be able to see your listings here because you don't ship to Canada.  If you do want to post on the US boards...    

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/bd-p/selling-db

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Not necessarily a scam. The new buyers often have no idea, how Ebay works. Accepting the offer would not change anything - the buyer, or a prospective scammer can buy any item and not pay, with the same result. 

Someone tried to scam me that way years ago. Purchased an item, then mailed a phoney bank transfer confirmation. I refused to ship the item, that's all. 

I was also paid with a stolen credit card - PayPal reversed the payment 6 weeks later. All seemed to be legit, buyer, his address, his feedback. 

We all need just to be vigilant - all the time, with every single transaction we make here. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

I was also paid with a stolen credit card - PayPal reversed the payment 6 weeks later. All seemed to be legit, buyer, his address, his feedback. 

We all need just to be vigilant - all the time, with every single transaction we make here. 

It's absolutely ridiculous that the payments can be reversed like that. IMO that should be on the credit card company to deal with. I don't think we can't even see the METHOD of payment anymore. There's no way we can verify if a card is stolen or not.

Hopefully the new banking system that comes online soon will fix some of that. With transactions happening instantly there will be less games that can be played.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I would just message them that there is no need for the offer, to just buy it from the listing.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Accepting the offer would not change anything - the buyer, or a prospective scammer can buy any item and not pay, with the same result.

Unless the seller is using Fixed Price/Immediate Payment Required.

Then buying but not paying leaves the listing visible for someone who actually does pay.

But Best Offer ends IPR because the buyer and seller are not working on real time, and there will be lapses.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply