SELLING EXPENSIVE ARTWORK LOCALLY

I have an opportunity to sell an expensive artwork to an eBay buyer in Winnipeg (very convenient for both parties) .

What would be the best option for shipping it to them insured for over 2000.00 USD. 

I could deliver it in person but I know there would be no Tracking Number confirmation for eBay and PayPal. 

There was no local pick-up specified in the auction.

Any suggestions.... 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you're determined to ship it, Canada Post is fine even by Expedited. It's insurable up to $5,000 CAD for extra and you're obviously required to get Signature on Delivery which you also pay extra to get. https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s2Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 4.34.53 PM.png

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

If it is listed on Ebay, arrange local pickup or delivery for cash and then mark the item paid on Ebay.

I would suggest a neutral location such as a police station for security of both parties.

Do not take Paypal if you either deliver or it gets picked up. That way both of you are covered.

If he /she wants to use Paypal, just state it has to be shipped.

Be careful about negotiating through Ebay emails so they don't think you are trying to do the deal off site as that could be a huge defect and possible suspension or termination of your account.

If listed, you could try to edit the listing for local pickup only.

You could also end the listing and then relist buy it now for the agreed upon price with local pickup only, then no shipping or insurance to deal with or INAD or INR.

Not sure of the whole situation with the deal.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I've never liked the idea of the police station.

There are a lot of criminals hanging around there, and the police are usually pretty busy.

I'd suggest a neighbourhood coffeeshop, preferably one where I was known. (But there are 21 coffee shops within walking distance of my house and most know my face, if not my name. I love retirement.)

If you have dealt with the customer before, you have his email address from his Paypal payments and possibly also from his purchase notes on eBay.

In my opinion, once you have established a relationship, other sales are between you and your customer. It is not unusual for sellers to use eBay (and AZ and etsy and The Ranch, etc) as an advertising method to build customer lists.

That being said, if an item is advertised on eBay, it is only ethical to sell it on eBay, because the labourer is worthy of his hire.

Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat. But I do business. We're here for business.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

You can offer paypal for Local Pickup and maintain seller protection against Items Not Received as long as the invoice that the buyer pays clearly states they are using Local Pickup. This change to buyer/seller protection changed a few years ago. 

In Winnipeg, I do Local Pickup for Cash Payment all the time. And I meet those buyers on my own doorstep. However, I sell toys, I am never home alone when I do so, and rarely does the total cash being carried surpass $100.

Just how 'expensive' is expensive? Police do not recommend seeing people for cash exchanges at homes (yours or theirs) and in fact recommend the following: https://www.chvnradio.com/chvn-radio-player/winnipeg-police-offer-safety-tips-for-buying-online

If you use a coffee shop, take a friend. I can imagine it would be all too easy to jump someone walking alone back to their car in a parking lot.

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 4.11.25 PM.png

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I know the location I 'd be shipping to with the postal code attached to their messages.

It's a place of business so I could just delivery it there in person.  .

If I ship it via Canada Post, what is the maximum insurance I can take out for the package? Perhaps using UPS? or a Courier Service?

Is there a third party insurance company I can use in Winnipeg?

This is unfamiliar territory for me. I've shipped to Winnipeg before via Canada Post but the items were for a lot less money.... 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Okay, so I believe I found your listing. Congratulations on making the sale. Here's what I would do:

1. Revise the active listing to offer Local Pickup.

2. Ask the buyer to resubmit his offer or accept it as a counteroffer suggesting Local Pickup as the criteria.

3. Accept their Offer and quickly invoice with Local Pickup as the Shipping Option.

4. Decide when and where to meet. I'd probably recommend police station and take a friend.

5. Don't be afraid to accept paypal for this. It's probably better protection for you than a stack of $50-counterfiet bills. 

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#11

If you are looking for clearer direction, maybe try calling Customer Service at Paypal. They will, hopefully, tell you what they told me. Paypal is fine for seller protection against claims of Items Not Received so long as you specify Local Pickup on the listing. Nothing will save you from a SNAD afterwards, regardless of how the payment was funded. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I understand that shipinsurance is available through Shippo.

If you are dealing with pricey material fairly often you might want to contact Hugh Wood International which is an insurance company that specializes in collectibles.

They cover both dealers and collectors.

In our field, turnover is fast (if we're doing things right) and HWI is flexible about that. They also cover travel to and from shows and shoptheft, as well as shipped material and of course fire and water damage.

The Toronto rep is Gina. She is very helpful and smart.

HWI is the insurer for the American Philatelic Society. They started with stamps, but cover other collectibles as well.

They don't do one-offs to my knowledge, preferring annual contracts.

I think many of the stamp dealers here would also recommend them.

http://www.hwcanada.com/

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

If you're determined to ship it, Canada Post is fine even by Expedited. It's insurable up to $5,000 CAD for extra and you're obviously required to get Signature on Delivery which you also pay extra to get. https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s2Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 4.34.53 PM.png

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Okay, so I believe I found your listing. Congratulations on making the sale. Here's what I would do:

Hi mj, I haven't accepted the offer yet, I'm just exploring my options.

I prefer shipping it to the costumer with a Tracking Number and Insurance.

The Insurance is important to me to cover any fraudulent actions.....   

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Many Thanks, that's my preferred option, Expedited Parcel with Insurance. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Well, congratulations on almost making the sale. I can understand your reluctance to meet somewhere to conduct business for something being sold and paid in $2400 CAD cash. It would make me nervous. It's a lot of cash, and a valuable item. Shipping with tracking and Signature on Delivery is safer. For cash payments of more than about $200, I begin to worry about the possibility I'd be accepting counterfeit bills, it's not like I would necessarily recognize one on sight and it would insult any buyer if I ran every bill they handed me under a black-light lamp or something. 

You might also consider Card for Pickup so that only the buyer can sign for it. If this goes to a place of business, I think any old bloke working at the front desk could sign for it, tear it open and get their grubby fingerprints all over it. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Just another question.....

If I sell an item in Winnipeg I just attach my Business Card on the package where my Name, Address and Postal Code would go.

I don't want anyone in Winnipeg to know my full address for security reasons because people will know where a large inventory of collectibles is located especially if any transaction turns out to be fraudulent. 

The card has my Name, Business Name, Email Addresses and Cell Phone Number.

Will there be an Insurance or Mailing issue if I don't have my full address on the package?  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I wouldn't know the answer to your insurance question but if you're concerned about security, rent a post office box and use that as your legitimate sender's address.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

If I decide to accept the offer I will make a call to Canada Post on Monday to find out what's the best option. Thanks for your response.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I would be reluctant to place an incomplete address as a return address on a valuable package in the event it couldn't be delivered. And then required a return to sender. As the sender, I'd want the carrier to know where to find me. For privacy and security, an anonymous postal box is best.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

Will there be an Insurance or Mailing issue if I don't have my full address on the package?  

This is something you could check with Canada Post, but I would think so, if only for your own peace of mind in the event of a "return to sender" scenario. 

If I may, it strikes me that you might be over-thinking this potential sale.  Bear in mind that the buyer is willing to spend a fair amount of money on an expensive item and will have to trust you as well.  You both have to step over that threshold a little. 

Why not do this the old-fashioned way if the buyer's location is within driving distance?  That is, deliver the item personally (take a friend along for moral support and security) but set the terms as either Paypal payment or certified cheque.  I expect the buyer would be both impressed and pleased with such personal delivery service.  Many galleries still do this for important works. 

Rather than a coffee shop, consider meeting in the lobby of the buyer's building if it's a larger office building.  Usually there are a lot of people coming and going in such places.  A coffee shop is probably next best.  I wouldn't suggest a police station in this instance -- it does suggest a certain mistrust of the buyer, or at least nervousness about the transaction. 

Go prepared with (another old-fashioned idea) a duplicate printed receipt you create in advance for the buyer's signature, confirming the buyer has inspected and received the painting in satisfactory condition.  It doesn't have to be an elaborate document -- one paragraph of text, along with the purchase price, payment type, date, a signature line, and your business name/logo and email address somewhere on the document will do.  Make sure you have the buyer's full name and contact information included.  If you still feel concerned, plan to have your friend take a photograph of the hand-over of the painting.  

Give the buyer one signed copy of the receipt, and keep the other for your records (and protection against SNAD).  This is still how transactions of major items like vehicles and houses are conducted all the time, and in fact many delivered-to-the-door major consumer goods like furniture, appliances, etc.  The customer is usually asked to sign a "received in good order" bill of lading. 

Lastly, if this is a framed painting (is it under glass?), in my view the risk of damage during transit with Canada Post is far greater than the small risk you might take in transacting this exchange in person.  

Even if it's a rolled canvas being shipped in a tube, I'd be more concerned about all the handling through the postal facilities than I would about showing up with it in person.  And in person there is no need to provide your home address if you prefer not to.  You can confirm Paypal payment (or certified cheque payment) on the spot, and the buyer gets their painting immediately.  Neither you nor the buyer have to worry about the time it takes to be delivered or the condition in which it will arrive.  

People tend to forget that everyday business was conducted like this quite successfully long before the internet arrived.  There is no reason to think this shouldn't turn out well, given a bit of forethought for your own protection, as well as understanding of the buyer's position.  Congratulations in advance, and I'm sure this will be a happy ending for both you and the buyer!  

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

By the way, as 'mj' says, if you plan to deliver the item in person, you'll of course need to change the delivery terms on the listing or offer accordingly. 

Message 17 of 17
latest reply