Seller Protection - Managed Payments and Incorrect Address in EBay

My buyer has an incorrect postal code listed in ebay, but confirmed the correct one via ebay message.

Because I switched to MP no longer get paid via PayPal, I can't double check the address matches what's on the payment. Am I still covered by seller protection if I ship to the correct postal code, instead of the incorrect postal code listed on ebay?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

marnotom!
Community Member

How "off" is the postal code?  If it's just a matter of one character being wrong, I'd probably just send it to the one in the transaction details.

Have you checked the postal code against what Google says, just for grins and giggles?  While not a perfect solution (Google's gives two slightly different postal codes for my childhood home, one of them being correct), it may point towards a possible solution.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

The last 3 digits in the postal code are incorrect (doesn't exist). I'm always suspicious of an incorrect address on ebay, so confirming with the PayPal address eases my mind. Now that I'm on Managed Payments, I have no way of doing that. 

So the package should reach the buyer fine - but what I'm concerned about, can the buyer still win an INR (either in PayPal or Ebay) if their purchase is delivered to a postal code that's different than the one they listed in the transaction?

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
My buyer has an incorrect postal code listed in ebay, but confirmed the correct one via ebay message.

Because I switched to MP no longer get paid via PayPal, I can't double check the address matches what's on the payment. Am I still covered by seller protection if I ship to the correct postal code, instead of the incorrect postal code listed on ebay?

If you were to create your postage with something like Snapship the system is supposed to catch any conflicts. This is the error message when I tried a test. Please enter a postal code that corresponds to the selected province. I've come across error messages in the past that way. I'm not sure if it works the same way with Shippo or PayPal. eBay Labels has address check built in. Possibly something eBay needs to address so sellers have some protection. Not so bad if it's an established buyer. More worrisome if it is a newer one and best, as suggested to google and then to confirm with Canadapost's postal code tool.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

There is a simple way to correct an incorrect postal code on a printed label.

pens-lowres-0301.jpg

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

If I remember right the tracking info only shows the city so if an inr was opened on eBay and there was a delivery scan, I believe that it would  automatically be ruled in your favour. If the buyer appealed though or opened a clam elsewhere you could lose because you changed the address and the item wasnt delivere to the 'payment address'.  But I've made a lot of changes like that over the years and never had a problem so unless the item is expensive or in a high risk category, I probably wouldn't  worry about it.

As an FYI....for the past few years the address showing on both eBay and PP is the address that the buyer chose when they checked out on eBay so once the buyer has paid, the address on PP will always be the same as the one on eBay.  The seller does not necessarily  see the buyers actual PP address, they only see the address used at checkout..the payment address.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

There is a simple way to correct an incorrect postal code on a printed label.

Be aware that the barcode on a label also contains a copy of the postal code (in addition to the tracking number, obviously).  A simple pen won't help you with that one.  ☺

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

True.

OTOH

Letter carriers usually can read.

If they see a missort- the postal code IS in their postal walk, but the written address IS NOT in their postal walk, they can discard it.

Whether that means it goes in the bin for the Dead Letter Office*  or is yeeted across the sorting room to the carrier for the correct address, a written correction can save time.

*There is such a thing as the Dead Letter Office, although it is not fatal and no called that.  The one I visited a decade or more ago, was a group of semi-invalid workers- too healthy for sick leave and too feeble for regular work- who spent the working day deciphering and correcting incorrect addresses.

I met them because they would handstamp the philatelic auction catalogues for us. We used lots of older stamps rather than labels and our stamp collector customers appreciated that.

The DLO workers liked doing it too, which was good all around.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I would assume you're not covered, but I don't know for sure, especially since the name, street, and city would be the same as on the payment information. Your best bet would probably be to call eBay and ask.

Basically, weigh the risks of whether there are any red flags on the buyer's feedback profile, the cost of the item, and the prospect of the buyer not re-buying the item if you cancel. As in, if it is something that has been sitting around forever, maybe you don't want to risk the buyer not following through and re-buying it, so it is worth it to take the risk and send it even if you aren't covered.

If you choose to cancel, just explain to the buyer that eBay does not have a mechanism for editing addresses after an item is purchased. Because the label is printed directly on eBay, you want to ensure their purchase arrives without interruption. Which is why they will need to re-buy the item with the correct address. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I had an order yesterday from a buyer in my region with an incomplete address and postal code that does not exist. The first 3 characters of the postal code exist but the last three do not. Also there is a street number but only the letter A so no proper street address. I contacted the buyer via Message but if the buyer does not reply by the end of today, I will be issued a late handling time delivery by eBay. I just signed up with MP this month and must say I never had an address issue with Paypal in over 20 years. Not impressed with MP - seems buyer's  correct shipping address would be the most basic of issues to be addressed - (yes pun intended). 

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

I'm not sure why you think Managed Payments has anything to do with a wrong address...isn't that on the buyer?  

If you are using ebay shipping which you can use with or without MP, it seems to me that I read there is some sort of address check there?  Perhaps someone else can comment on that.   I've had to correct address when I've used PP shipping in the past so my guess is that they don't have any sort of address on PP.

If you check the address that do you have on the 'find the postal code' site, does that help at all? I don't know if you can change the address on ebay shipping but you can sign into paypal.com/shipnow and print the labe through PP.  I realize that we are covered by seller protection if the address is changed however I've 'fixed' address in the past with inexpensive items and haven't had a problem.

If you don't hear back from the buyer and are worried about a late shipment ding, you could cancel using problem with address.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Here's the latest with this sale! Ugggh!

Before I shipped, I comfirmed the correct last 3 digits of the postal code with the buyer, as per the Canada Post website (she admitted the one she entered on ebay is wrong).

I shipped at the CP counter, and they always check the address/postal code matches the address/postal code on their system.

All good right? Wrong. Check out today's delivery tracking status. Currently says "Delivered" at the top of the Canada Post Tracking page... I'm wondering if the scans were done out of sequence? Ebay tracking still says "Out for Delivery" updated at 5:40 pm... but that's nothing new.

What would you make of this tracking??? Hopefully it updates tomorrow with something that makes more sense!

"Delivery status

Delivered

Delivery details

Delivered

Today

Delivery progress

Information updated: Apr. 19

Apr. 19

1:11 pm
Item re-routed due to processing error; Possible delay
Nanaimo, BC

12:11 pm
Delivered
Nanaimo, BC

9:40 am
Item out for delivery
Nanaimo, BC

8:09 am
Item out for delivery
Nanaimo, BC

6:14 am
Item processed
Nanaimo, BC"

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Remember what I sauis about the Dead Letter Office?

That.

Human beings are looking at it.

Note that if the item is Undeliverable, eBay does not insist on any refund to the Buyer, who is expected to give correct information.

Note also @retrocorp.inc that the Seller can cancel a transaction for Problem with Address, with no blowback.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Yes, but why is the package status "delivered" if it's being looked at by humans? That's why I'm wondering if it was rerouted and then delivered, and the scan times are wrong...?
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

MP is now the only provider for info shipping destinations since they handle all payment info. Whereas Paypal would require a confirmed, completed shipping addess, it seems MP allows buyers to enter incomplete and incorrect postal codes, street addresses, etc. This leaves the seller on the hook to gather the correct info before the shipping time deadline. As mentioned on this thread, I will now use the option of canceling the auction due to incomplete shipping info but fortunately my buyer replied to my message and provided the complete address so a good outcome this time. This was the address which totally lacked a street name:

Mr. John Smith

6568 A

A

City, Province

Incorrect postal code

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Yeah, paypal was the ultimate source to double check the shipping address.

As I mentioned in my original post, I fear this leaves us open to INR claims if the buyer provides anything incorrect in their address (even if we as sellers fix it, and even if it's successfully delivered).

Canceling would be the preferred option in that case, but then you're out the payment fees, which are not refunded. Another way of getting the shaft from MP...
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@retrocorp.inc 

I disagree.

Paypal accepted anything the customer gave them.

There are so many different ways to make a postal address that not accepting what the customer gave would be a mug's game.

Tokyo addresses are based on the date the building was erected.

Saskatchewan rural addresses are even wierder.

Then there is the community mail box. 

Streets that are miles apart but named Any Street SW or Any Street NW. 

Streets named by letters  (and which seem to be -- there is a Bee Street in my neighbourhood and I grew up near Gamma and Delta Drives.)

And many Americans will disguise thier postal or private mail box as an apartment number.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I think that you misunderstand how it works as the address hasn't come from PayPal for a few years now....PP was just showing the address the buyer chose on eBay.  When a buyer checks out, their default shipping address is shown in checkout. If they want to use a different address they choose another one they have on file or add a new one.  Whichever address they chose would be what is shown as the payment address on both eBay and PayPal so the address you have been seeing was not necessarily an address the was ever entered or confirmed on PayPal.  It has worked like that for years and it still works like whether the seller has their money processed through MP or PP.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
Yeah, paypal was the ultimate source to double check the shipping address.

Not really.  As mentioned in an earlier post, for the past few years the address the buyer used was
chosen in eBay and that address was forwarded to PP.  The address you would have seen in PP would have been identical to the payment address on eBay.   The before payment address on eBay might be different but the after payment address is identical on both sites.

As I mentioned in my original post, I fear this leaves us open to INR claims if the buyer provides anything incorrect in their address (even if we as sellers fix it, and even if it's successfully delivered).

I don't see how that has changed. If the item is not delivered because of an incorrect address and tracking shows that the address was wrong/incomplete, the seller woukd win an inr claim as long as they shipped to the payment address.

Canceling would be the preferred option in that case, but then you're out the payment fees, which are not refunded. Another way of getting the shaft from MP...

Yes, you  would be out the .30.   With PP you would be out all of the PP fees.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Yes, I am aware PP supplied eBay with the shipping info and the buyer could choose another shipping address such as delivery for a gift, etc. What I am noticing in MP that I never saw in 20 years with PP is incorrect, incomplete addresses as well as misspelled street names and capitalized letters within street names. I understand the buyers are entering faulty info. Could be coincidence I get three after I sign onto MP but I'm just relating my mileage. When I signed up for PP over 20 years ago, your credit card had to match your shipping address. 

Message 20 of 22
latest reply