Shipping Costs Ridiculous

I had 2 fur brushes for sale last week both free shipping worldwide not 1 single excluded country ( am I supposed to exclude any btw?) .

One was sold to Victoria , One was sold to Quebec. I live in Vancouver, BC. The Victoria one shipping cost was 9 dollars, decent profit I guess but still 9 bucks pretty steep. Not until I had to print my shipping label for the Quebec one... 16 bucks?!!?!?! 

I asked the Canada Post employee, and she said to states just cross the border is 9 bucks not sure about rest of the states and worldwide? BTW, which worldwide country is considered most expensive to ship to? I don't even wanna ask the CP worker.

How are you Canadian shippers making any kinds of profit wit these ridiciolus shipping costs. We're at a huge disadvantage compared to US, China shipping rates. Unless your product fits into an envelope, you won't be able to compete with any sellers from the US. Oh and did I mention China, the ones who can ship worldwide for 10% of our price or less?

Please enlighten me fellow successful sellers. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

"Please enlighten me fellow successful sellers. "

It is pretty simple.

Shipping from Canada is expensive.  It does not matter if you use Canada Post or other carriers, the costs are generally high.

NOT all items are meant for sale by mail.  In fact, most are not.

Mail order from Canada is best suited for items where the cost of packing and shipping is low relative to value.

Some countries - China is a good example - subsidize postal shipping costs. There is not much you can do about it if you sell "stuff" competing with Chinese sellers.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

If you print your label on paypal and use expedited parcel for Canada and the U.S., you will get an approximate 20% off of the regular parcel rate that you buy at the counter.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Canada Post has a complaint department.  Do what millions of other CP customers have done.  Complain.  Best of luck getting the cost of mailing stuff lowered.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some countries like China offers free shipping.  I wonder if China and other countries who offer free shipping are wise as to encourage more business.  Wish Canada Post offer that too, then we would see a huge increase business on eBay for Canadian sellers.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Pierre writes:

Shipping from Canada is expensive

No kidding.

NOT all items are meant for sale by mail.  In fact, most are not.

I fail to see the relation between selling price and postage cost.

Postage surely depends on size and weight of the mail piece and the speed of delivery and enhancements of the service. It has absolutely nothing to do with with whether you're selling an item or not.

I really wonder where Pierre comes up with this twaddle.

Tom

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

I think you're looking at it the wrong way....... :).

You sold an item that you said you had sitting around the house, and you implied that it was something that had no value to you.

Where .......... or how else, would you have been able to make $$$$ like you just did other than via ebay?

Sure, there are hurdles before you get to the end, such as shipping costs and fees, but the system (ebay + shipping) opens the world market to you and basically turn trash into cash.

Next time the cost of shipping won't be such a surprise.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

With Paypal shipping, I do not find Canada to be expensive. Matter-o-fact, for larger and heavier widgets, it is quite economical. It is smaller and lighter that doesn't seem to make sense.

Shipping from Vancouver, western Canada is "local". Cross the border into Ontario and rates go up. In addition to that, you need to look at the town it is going to. The more times the parcel has to be sorted, the more the price ratchets up.

It is not Vancouver to Quebec, it is where in Quebec.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

"Where .......... or how else, would you have been able to make $$$$ like you just did other than via ebay?"

Craigslist most likely. The item I sold were BNIB. Probably wouldn't sell as quick on ebay, and tbh, I was just testing waters and trying to get the ball rolling before i sell my real products. 

"Why offer free shipping without checking prices first?"

TBH, i was thinking my item was $30 buyout, i was thinking "Oh, its ok if someone buys it, i'll probably profit 15 bucks, the other 15 to shipping costs." 

Good side is, good thing someone in Russia didn't buy it out or I probably woulda lost gas money in return. 😐

"It is not Vancouver to Quebec, it is where in Quebec." 

Please give me postal code to where in Quebec is the most expensive to ship to, but I heard it was Newfoundland that was the most expensive place to ship to in all of Canada. 

United States - New Jersey

International - Russia

Correct?

Also for my next set of sales, what countries should I put in the exclude list to avoid headaches? Please help !

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Use calculated shipping within Canada. This will minimize shipping costs to the buyer based on their location.  Using a maximum amount to Newfoundland (1.5% of population of Canada) is unnecessary and makes the majority of buyers in Ontario and Quebec (62% of population) pay extra $$. You will lose sales with overpriced shipping.

Since you are new to selling, ship only to Canada and the USA for the first few months until you have experience selling on eBay. Exclude all other countries for now.

To find postal codes, use Google search to look up a radio station in a city there.

Research these forum for many tips on how to sell and avoid problems. Use date filter for the past year to avoid old information.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

I think you are starting from the wrong premises.

First, there is no such thing as "free shipping". This is an advertising come-on (like BOGO -buy one get one free). It means that the cost of shipping is included in the price of the item.

Second- shipping should cost the seller nothing. Shipping is paid by the buyer. Even "free shipping" is paid by the buyer.

So.

It is a mistake to offer Free Shipping internationally. Nor are you required to offer Free Shipping everywhere. You can choose to offer it only to Canada or only to the USA, the cheapest destinations. Here's how. Get out your calculator.

Figure out the cost of shipping to the USA (I use 90210 as a postal code.) Add that amount to the asking price I want to get.

For example. You want to get at least $5 for your widget. Shipping to California will cost $5. The asking cost for your widget should be $10. If that is above what the eBay market will accept, do not offer the item on eBay.

It will cost $5 to ship the widget to Quebec and $10 to ship it to BC, because of the regional/national rates. You have a decision. You can add $5 or $10 or $7.50 (splitting the difference) to your asking price.

Personally, I would go for the $7.50 making my asking price $12.50. If my price is a little higher than the going eBay price, the attractiveness of "Free Shipping" should make up for it. This is not logical, but we are talking about emotional decisions here. Smoke and mirrors. And buyers LOVE Free Shipping.

If you are listing on dotCA, choose the Free Shipping option for domestic sales. For US sales enter $0.00 as the shipping fee. For Overseas sales, enter the shipping fee less the $7.50 you have added to the asking price.

On this sale you are out a little money. How many cups of coffee does it represent? Of latte? All online sales are a learning curve. Annoying but once you made the mistake, you learn how to avoid it in future and go on the bigger and better goofs.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

latte403
Community Member

Get your packages to the USPS system for international.

Most often, it is also much cheaper to bring your packages to

the USPS and ship back to Canada.

Many successful sellers managed to get their packages to the USPS system

and you win both speed and shipping cost.

Depending on your location, many sellers are helping each others:

Montreal: montreal books will take your packages to USPS for about $1 per package

Calgary: DYK home plus will take your packages to USPS for about $1 per package

Vancouver: Books to the border will take your packages to USPS for about $1 per package

Toronto: Chat Chi express will take your packages to USPS for about $1 per package

All you have to do is to print your USPS label online at home. These sellers will help you!

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

It depends where you live as to which is the most expensive place to ship to ... Example Vancouver cost me about $13 Expedited and Quebec about $7-$8 ... I live 30 minutes from the quebec border though...

There is no set place that is expensive but I would say the Terrotories is the most costly,.,,

Nunavut cost me almost $16 1 time ...

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

"Most often, it is also much cheaper to bring your packages to the USPS and ship back to Canada"

Not anymore with the last US Postal Service increase unfortunately 😞

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

JV, it doesn't sound like you are following the drift. For eg: shipping to Quebec is not one price, it is several prices. The price starts at Montreal and goes up for smaller Centres where it has to be handled again. Western Canada is one set of prices that goes up going into Eastern Canada.

There is a learning curve for shipping costs in Canada. Do NOT expect to learn it anytime fast as you will never sell to enough places to get all the nuances. I have gotten good at "ballparking" cost as soon as I see the town it is going to. Sometimes I make a buck. Sometimes I lose a buck. Work with the average, not the extreme.

I am moving more to a price pointing model as opposed to cost plus shipping. More and more I am finding my American competition using a price point with free shipping. Ya need to understand the competition and the buyer mentality.

eBay WILL be free shipping one day. Work towards that concept.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

DYK home plus... where would I contact them? I tried googling, but can't find a website for them anywhere
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@lovestyle.intl wrote:
DYK home plus... where would I contact them? I tried googling, but can't find a website for them anywhere

That post was made in Feb. 2013 so I doubt that the poster is still following this thread. I'm in Alberta as well and have never heard of any companies that take packages from here to be shipped to the U.S. but  perhaps they do exist.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Comment ---I fail to see the relation between selling price and postage cost.

Response.... It is perception

If you price it at $50  and shipping is $15... a buyer's perception is that something, at a very good value, was bought and shipped at a relatively reasonable price.

Price it at $10  with $50 shipping....

Buyer's view... "You have to be kidding".....  Buyer visits a local B & M  and buys there.

However....

Everything has its place...

I may list a book at $30  with $15 shipping.....

Seller in the US wants to sell his book  to a Canadian buyer.....  Book is listed at $15 with $30 shipping... and the US seller makes a sale.....  because by comparison both prices are equal to a buyer.... $45  total item + shipping

The real value to a Canadian buyer is a total of $45... 

With a local pickup the true value of the book is $30

Selling on the internet is a game  of pricing relative to perception, relative to "reality"

Some things are not mean to be sold on the internet  while others  sell very well....

It will always be a relationship of Price of an item plus ship in relation to "true value"

Something with a true value of $100 will sell for $50 with $25 shipping

Something with a true value of $1  with $20 shipping will never sell on the internet....

Pricing is in relation to potential buyer's perception in relation to True Value, and then how the cost of an item plus shipping relates to "true value"

List a  full size Mercedes for $10  with $1,000 shipping and it will sell.

List that same Mercedes as a Matchbox diecast model at 1:64 scale  and it will not sell at $10 with $30 shipping....

Same car... different true value.....different buyer's perception of value of an item in relation to shipping cost...  in relation to true value

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

oh that's too bad. I was hoping that there was!
Message 20 of 32
latest reply