Shipping from Canada to the USA and beyond. Any suggestions??

Okay, what is the best way to ship from Canada to the USA and beyond. I usually use the post office, but I'm wondering if a better service has come along that makes shipping items better, safer and cheaper.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Shipping from Canada to the USA and beyond. Any suggestions??

I use Canada Post printed through Paypal shipping.  A discount is applied.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The postal system is the best method around.

It is cheaper than couriers.

Postal rates do vary from country to country. If you are close to Vancouver, Calgary or Toronto, there are companies that will carry your parcels to the USA - for a fee- and ship them at the lower USPS rates. The fee is about a buck, and with the current drop in the loonie, this is not quite as good a deal as it was even last year.

And you can get better prices. As mentioned, Paypal shipping labels offer from 5% to 18% off PO counter prices on some services. And of course, mint full gum postage is readily available on eBay or from a local stamp dealer with discounts from 10% to 30% off face value being common.

It is as safe as the couriers.

Theft is not a real problem with either the public or private systems. Delays can be.

More of a problem is damage.

Both postal and courier systems use similar automated handling systems. It is very important that the seller package product to withstand a two foot drop followed by having a 50 lb parcel land on top of it. Because that's what can happen on those conveyor belts.

It is as fast as the couriers-- for a given service. You won't get overnight service for 85 cents, but you will if you spring for Priority Post service.

It delivers everywhere. Most couriers only service urban through semi-rural centres. If you are shipping anywhere isolated, the courier will sub-contract to the postal system.

In addition, if you read the Global Shipping Program threads, you will notice that many of the complainers don't understand that Canadians are supposed to pay duty and tax as applicable on imports over $20.

Well, so do your customers in many countries, including the European Community.

And like CBSA, many countries don't bother if the import is valued under a given amount, on the basis that it would cost more to collect than could be collected.

But couriers can't do that, so they (including UPS, the subject of another multi-thousands thread, and PitneyBowes who run the GSP) must by law collect that money from your overseas customer. And they will charge a fee for doing so.

And your customer will blame you.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@mr.-jacob wrote:

Okay, what is the best way to ship from Canada to the USA and beyond. I usually use the post office, but I'm wondering if a better service has come along that makes shipping items better, safer and cheaper.

Where are you located and what is the average weight/value of your packages?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

thanks for the info, it's a lot to consider.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the info.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Located in Ontario, Canada and the sizes of my items varies from a DVD case to a Trivia Pursuit size board game box.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

If you are in any of the cities served by ChitChat Express (or its competitors), you could look into their service that takes parcels to the US for shipping by USPS at considerable savings compared to CP.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thank you, I will look into that.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply