Shipping items with rechargeable lithium ion batteries

Anyone here ever have trouble shipping hair clippers with rechargeable lithium ion batteries to the US?
I know there are restrictions but there has to be a way.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

byto253
Community Member

I believe that if it is built in to the unit, that is not an issue.  On the customs declaration just indicate it as "electric razor".

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Ah I see. I'm assuming you have done it before. If you have, which carrier did you use? Canada Post?
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

In the great link from @marnotom! it has the details and no label is required for

Installed in equipment (Up to 4 cells or 2 batteries)

UN3481 - Lithium ion

UN3091 - Lithium metal

I have sent them with Canada Post and Chitchats. 

Though I did an oops with Chitchats as they pick up your item title for the customs information and it had battery in the description - even though it was small and installed in the item and did not need a label, they would not ship it.   That description can be edited, so just something to watch out for.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Though I did an oops with Chitchats as they pick up your item title for the customs information and it had battery in the description - even though it was small and installed in the item and did not need a label, they would not ship it.   That description can be edited, so just something to watch out for.

eBay Listing Titles are almost never appropriate to use unedited for a customs declaration. Sure you can use them and generally won't have an issue (especially if the harmonized code is also supplied) but it can definitely cause a slowdown in customs processing when an inspector wants to be able to tell at a glance what the item is without having to decipher an eBay Title which can be quite obtuse outside of it's normal eBay usage.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply