Shut Down

I am going on vacation soon and I'm planning to shut down for awhile to get some other things caught up. How long can you shut down before you get the list restrictions and PP holds your money for 21 days I'm not sure but I will probably  close the store the same time

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Shut Down

I don't think they have an exact time line.

Given your feedback, you should be OK for 6 months. but you could give Ebay a call and see what type of gobbledigook they give you.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

The store was on vacation from May 15 to June 15, 2016...  Listings were converted from US to Canadian dollars... daily, one listing at a time.

The store was off vacation for about a week... with about 7 sales.

Then on vacation from about June 28 to August 31.....  mainly because of the potential for a full-time postal strike.

The store was taken off vacation on September 1, and sales were good.

Then it was about the middle of November... at about the 15th that sales appears to "really pickup"

It was concluded that had the store been on vacation from May15 to August 31, without the short period of being open that I would have been limited when my sales starting September 1.

Could be that I had found something ( or just a guess on my part) about being on vacation for 90 days and more..... and being treated like a new seller.

That November 15 increase in sales  was a 10 week period from September 1.... my view of things  that happened after 10 weeks.

One could conclude that 90 days on vacation  and that 10 week limited sales period would be critical.

Since that 90 days was broken  by a short period of being open at the end of June....  one cannot conclude anything  about the post 90 day period.

A link to "vacation"   may help" as a start  and perhaps a link to more

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/placing-store-vacation.html

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

How long exactly were you planning to be closed?  

If it's more than a couple of weeks, and you can't find anything specific on the eBay "Help" pages, I'd suggest using 'cumos' suggestion and take the store off vacation for a few days somewhere in the middle of that time.  

By the way, it's necessary to add here that eBay's "Help" and info pages aren't always completely up to date (especially on .ca), so be cautious about taking what is displayed there as the final word. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

Based on CUMOS experience a month is safe.

If the sales gods smile upon me during the rest of the year, I try to take August off, and my store is on vacation for a month. So far I've never had a problem....
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

@lukey9 wrote:

I am going on vacation soon and I'm planning to shut down for awhile to get some other things caught up. How long can you shut down before you get the list restrictions and PP holds your money for 21 days I'm not sure but I will probably  close the store the same time

A minimum of 90 days (3 months) before any selling restrictions happen.

Search "Best Match" will probably be influenced by lack of sales as time gets longer.

eBay starts archiving listings at 2 months (60 days) then buries them at 3 months (90 days). Seller dashboard metrics go back 13 months with data. Seller invoices go back 18 months. Buyer views of sales get buried if older than 2 calendar years (2015 data is available until the start of 2018 -- so up to 35 months depending on time of year).

I'd say a maximum of 18 months before being reborn, since there would be no active seller side data after that point.

-..-

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

While  I am  going to shut down for vacation I'm debating if it better to keep a few items on to pay for the Store or just close the Store out all together.  I was thinking about shutting down till September but the idea of shutting down and reopening monthly sounds like a good idea and that way I am safe. I hate calling CS because unless I have too as I don't get a good feeling dealing with some of their answers & After 17 years I am slowly getting tired of it for awhile.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

Many new listings were added to my store  over the period I was on vacation. ... specifically more listings after June 15  than during the May 15 to June 15 time period.

It was these new listings  that seemed to sell most quickly after September...

Appeared logical  as the rest of my inventory    was in my store before May 15, 2016.... and many of these listings  were sold and had been  relisted with new inventory  over several months..

Another action that appear to stimulate Best Match is to do a process of ......End-Relist... ... done for .. all... listings over May-June 2016

Over past years  I have ended and relisted inventory after about 12 months on eBay..... and will continue to do so...  starting in March... April

When an item is ended and relisted...... Watchers are notified of what has happened...

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

@lukey9 wrote:

I have a coup[le of small selling id's I use irregularly. One of them I restarted using in December that had 1 sale last May and a bunch last February, no restrictions on that account.

I'm pretty sure you get at least 6 months and maybe as much as a year.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

Will you be away from your stock during your vacation?

If so, unless you carry the listed items with you ready to ship, which I suppose would be possible since your items are not overly bulky, leaving a few items up would be worse than closing entirely.

But if you are planning a 'staycation', your plan is sensible.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

For the past few years I have been taking most of the summer season (May to October) off because we go to our summer place.

Initially I took some products with me while ending others that I had listed.  I could leave my store open but did not have room for all of my stock.  The down side of that was having to re-list everything in the fall and not having it all available for sale.

Then I began leaving everything listed, but hidden, and listed only auctions for the stock I had with me while we were away from home.  We would come home every 2 or 3 weeks and I would take the store off vacation while home.

Both worked fairly well but auctions took a little more time because I had to keep listing them.

Last year I had to put my store on vacation for the majority of the time and there were no limits to my account when I took it off vacation..  Sales have been extremely slow since I re-opened it but I have no idea whether or not being closed had anything to with it.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

Thanks every body for the Help and suggestions, I had every figured out what I was going to do & I got a phone call  for hip surgery in March which I could never turn down because of the ultra long waiting list. So I'm going back to square 1 again and will keep open till then & decide what I am going to do.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

Best wishes for the surgery.

Do the physio!

And Vitamin E oil seems very helpful with the scarring.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Shut Down

I had the other hip done 4 years ago with great luck no problems at all so I'm hoping for the best and be ready for summer.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply