Small Packet Tracking

All:

As I understand in years past if you sent a package by Small Packet to the US  you could receive a receipt at the post office that would have a number that when crossreferenced on the USPS site days later would show tracking and delivery information. Anyone know if this is still the case.

Cheers

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Small Packet Tracking

The UR code on Small Packet to the US sometimes shows up after about a week - once it has cleared US Customs.  Sometimes not.  There is no guarantee it will be scanned.

If you have an item of value or you are just concerned about the buyer for whatever reason, then, for your peace of mind,  pay the extra for actual tracking.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You used to be able to add the code starting in UR to the tracking page on eBay.

You could then get tracking updates directly on the eBay item page. Although, nothing would show up if you put the tracking code into the USPS website.

Sometime during the pandemic, this stopped functioning. Sometimes there would be tracking, but usually there would not be. I no longer use Small Packet, and have not for a year. I cannot comment on if it works again now, or how often it works.

The best way to look at it is as a bonus. Don't get Small Packet if it is a shipment where you feel you cannot risk sending it untracked. If you don't mind sending it untracked, there is no downside to entering the UR code into the tracking just in case it updates, other than confusing customers if it doesn't update or show anything.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you all , more of a relief for some sort of protection on low value items if shipped by small packet. Good to know it still works/supported.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I have used the tracking number quite a few times & it has always showed that it was scanned. Had a few buyers try to say their item was not delivered but had the proof that it was. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

With a base cost for Small Packet of $7.74 and for Tracked Packet of $13.36, many sellers will happily use the SP service for items that are low risk/low value.

But as others have said, with high risk item the $5.62 cent difference is cheap insurance.

It's worth putting the SP bookkeeping number in as if it were tracking, if only because our American friends are paranoid about tracking.

Just be ready to refund if there is a non-delivery claim, because you will not win it.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I stopped offering Small Packet Airmail to US last year after getting scammed twice during a short span. Now it is Tracked Packet only for anything I do sell and I adjust pricing accordingly.

For the second scammed item, I called up USPS and sure enough they found the UR item was delivered and sent out the investigation result and verification via email. However, PP still refunded the buyer after they skirted around eBay (which had denied the buyer's claim) and PP denied my evidence completely. So I was out of pocket, but hopefully the buyer did not dupe anyone again as I did open a fraud complaint with USPS.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply