The refund you sent didn't go through

I thought the refund process would be smooth.  I'm refunding someone and got to the part where I'm submitting the refund and get the following message:

• To try again, log in to PayPal and go to the Transaction Details page and click Issue Refund.
  • You can also send money directly to the buyer through PayPal, but you'll need to cancel this transaction to receive your final value fee back.

I guess I have to go directly to Paypal to refund the money?

Thanks!!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Log into your PayPal account and make sure that the refund really didn't go through. Once the refund has gone through PayPal will not reverse it, so make sure the buyer doesnt have it. Then you could try again and if still not working maybe call PayPal. Let's hope this is just a temporary glitch.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Oh boy sorry...  Where in Paypal would I see refunds?

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Go into the transactopn on PayPal and there will be a refund this sale link.  if that doesn't work the buyer may have used a pre filled card that can't be refunded so you might have to phone and ask pp what to do.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Looks like I'm gonna have to call Paypal as I don't see a way to easily do the refund.  Urggg.

Thanks all - you are so helpful as always!!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If the buyer used a prefilled card, wouldn't the refund become a PP balance, since it can't go back to the card?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I suppose it's possible if the person actually has a PayPal account although I'm not sure if that would be  done automatically if the money couldn't go back to the original payment source. I have only heard of situations where the seller had a problem giving a refund and they were told that it was because some prepaid cards couldn't receive money back. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply