The word " Indian" in your ad anywhere! Mine was Indian Motel matchbook. Got kicked out!!

I am selling matchbooks. One was a 40 year old Indian Trail Motel, Bay City, Michigan and it triggered something from ebay about banned native artefacts, etc. I was unable to answer yes or no to any potential problem and was unable to continue making my ad. Guilty until proven innocent! How do you sell a Cleveland Indians baseball sweater or an old Indian motorcycle??? This political correctness stuff has to stop!  So, how do I sell this matchbook properly, correctly, safely???

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: The word " Indian" in your ad anywhere! Mine was Indian Motel matchbook. Got kicked ou

What category were you using?
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Re: The word " Indian" in your ad anywhere! Mine was Indian Motel matchbook. Got kicked ou

Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all, what some call common decency, others lament as "politically correct" but that is not the issue here. The real problem is not being able to defend yourself against an AI. As you said, there are motorcycles called Indian,etc., none of which are offensive, but clearly eBay has overkill built in. I am glad they try to careful not to have potentially offensive items but I can understand why you must be furious. I recommend calling customer service and getting this sorted out.
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

As stated above it definitely has to do with the AI for this type of item being the real problem. As noted recently I had a listing for a piece of stereo equipment that used the word "Feedback" in the title. The listing was being blocked for that reference only. In no way was it a reference to the eBay Feedback system. Definitely overkill. Had to modify the title for listing to be approved. As for any references to Natives/Inuit your item should not fall under that situation. With a previous item of early American folk art with no manufacturing marks (A Photo of Native American Indians in battle on a pine slab) that I was listing, there was a declaration I had to agree to prior to completing the listing/relisting.  Possibly tyler@ebay can address the AI issue or direct it at the powers that be. Policy for native items as follows:

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/policies/artifacts.html

Artifacts, Grave-Related Items, and First Nations' Crafts

Native American crafts, artifacts, cave formations (speleothems, stalactites, and stalagmites), grave-related items and any object made or reworked by humans and associated with historic or prehistoric cultures that are protected under federal laws are not permitted on eBay.

Sellers must follow the law and eBay policy whenever listing any of these protected items.

You'll see more specific information in the Some examples section.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions by eBay, including:

• Listing cancellation

• Limits on account privileges

• Account suspension

• Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

• Loss of PowerSeller status

First Nations items 
    First Nations human remains, gravesite-related items, and burial items may not be listed on eBay. Native American masks and "prayer sticks" from all Southwestern tribes are also prohibited. This prohibition includes Native Hawaiian human remains, gravesite-related items and burial items. Certain First Nations artifacts currently in a reserve may also not be acquired without ministerial approval.

Artifacts 
    The Canadian Cultural Property Export Control List defines an artifact as "an object made or reworked by a person or persons and associated with historic or prehistoric cultures". Artifacts taken from any federal, provincial, state, public, First Nations land, Inuit Land, or battlefield are prohibited for sale. This includes any military accessory, weapon or dress. Artifacts removed from certain archaeological sites may also not be sold.

eBay users intending to sell and export any objects which are culturally significant to Canada (including items from First Nations and the military, art, scientific or technological objects, texts, graphics, maps, photographs, sound recordings and musical instruments) are subject to regulation under the Canadian Cultural Property Export and Import Act. Items falling within one of the category of objects noted in the Canadian Cultural Property Export Control List established under the authority of the Canadian Cultural Property Export and Import Act may require a cultural property export permit prior to their removal from Canada. eBay users are solely responsible for compliance with the Canadian Cultural Property Export and Import Act.

Historical graves, tombstones, or related markers 
    These items may not be listed on eBay. While we recognize that some historical grave markers may be privately held within families and legal to sell, eBay is concerned with vandalism that has occurred in graveyards across the world, and consequently prohibits their sale on eBay.

• Buyers of First Nations artifacts currently on reserve lands should consult the Indian Act.

• Empress of Ireland artifacts can only be sold and shipped within Canada.

eBay urges sellers and buyers to comply with all applicable laws and regulations. Since the sale of certain artifacts, grave-related items and First Nations' crafts is prohibited by law, regulated, or may cause harm to eBay or its members, the sale of these items on eBay is restricted. This policy helps protect buyers from purchasing illegal merchandise, and helps create a safer marketplace.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

For sure the AI police can be frustrating at times. May as well forget about using the offending word in the title and move on.

May I suggest choosing from Ojibwe, Ojibwa and or Chippewa as an acceptable substitution. Using any of these in front of "motel" may well rate better in search than the "problematic" word.
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

I think the current term is 'Indigenous peoples'.

Native American, First Nations, Aboriginal peoples, etc... I lost track.

Negro, African-American, Black? How about, 'Afro-descendant'?

Now I've read the term 'oriental' is not appropriate.

Asian-American is not specific enough.

Indian, East Indian, South Asian?

Merry Christmas... Happy Holidays?

Etc, etc...

It's hard to get through a single day without offending someone.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Good question.  I see other matchbooks with "Indian" on them on ebay.ca and ebay.com .  Category may be key here.

Ian

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

To be honest, I've lost track too. 😞 There was a Whitey Ford Baseball card that recently sold for $3400.00. Would his cards be next for being banned? All in the name of being politically correct. Where will the list end?  Hmmmm!!! New CD to be released shortly....The 7000 Words You Can't Use On eBay!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EImWL_ppAXM

-Lotz

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

I have had trouble with using certain words when selling jewelry. I have had warnings come up when I have used the word Indian or other nationalities when describing jewelry.  Also have had a big problem with using any form of the word Ivory.  Even as a color.  I have used the words Faux Ivory Bone & had some of my listings removed.  The bot police don't take the listings into consideration only the words.  But this is not consistant as there are hundreds of sellers who use the words Indian or Ivory & get away with it.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

I have sometimes had the same problem with the word ivory, also when used as the color. 

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

I created a listing once for Ivory bar soap to test that and published it with no difficulty whatsoever. Perhaps these red flags are category-specific. 

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Selling old postcards I run into this.  I usually have the warning come up when I use terms such as Indian River (which is a river north of where I live)

When I list aboriginal post cards it is hit and miss whether the warning will appear

strange they give a warning  for Indian River but will ignore words that relate directly to their policy

Never had one not go through using postcards

Only had one listing that ebay would not let continue

Had a photograph of a Canadian Soldier (Circa WW2) wearing a gas mask at Camp Borden Ontario. Listed it under Photographic Images

Put gas mask in the title and no way could I continue with the listing

Talked to a ebay rep she told me ebay would not allow that to be used

meanwhile checked Search using gas mask and a few thousand listings appeared including many actual ones listed

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

@rcrawford34 wrote:

Selling old postcards I run into this.  I usually have the warning come up when I use terms such as Indian River (which is a river north of where I live)

When I list aboriginal post cards it is hit and miss whether the warning will appear

strange they give a warning  for Indian River but will ignore words that relate directly to their policy

Never had one not go through using postcards

Only had one listing that ebay would not let continue

Had a photograph of a Canadian Soldier (Circa WW2) wearing a gas mask at Camp Borden Ontario. Listed it under Photographic Images

Put gas mask in the title and no way could I continue with the listing

Talked to a ebay rep she told me ebay would not allow that to be used

meanwhile checked Search using gas mask and a few thousand listings appeared including many actual ones listed

Gas mask? That is a funny one I've not run across. Listing anything affiliated with the German military has caused problems in the past for myself but I've never had any trouble with British, Canadian or American military listings. In the past just a photo of German military subjects is enough to have the listing removed even if the title makes no mention of any offending words.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

What do people do with "Brand Infringement" de-lists?

One of my Italian art glass listings was removed due to such this week. It IS by the stated maker and the listing title identifies it as such with full and proper attribution.

The removal also mentions "brand spamming" - our listing states the actual designer and the company he designed for with no irrelevant or overreach in regards to the keywords.

Am I supposed to list it as "Italian Vase" ... cause that will show up at the bottom of a search of thousands of items. People look specifically for glass by this designer and company.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

If this is a brand wherein the company has a list of approved, authorized dealers who hold licences to sell this item, and you are not one of those dealers, there is nothing you can do about it. 

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

As far as I'm aware this is not the case but I'll double check. It was made in the 1950s.

My gut instinct was that it showed the Brand, Designer, Region, and Country (triggering AI) or that it was flagged by a competitor with nothing better to do.

Last time this happened I called eBay and they couldn't state the exact reason why the listing was flagged. I simply waiting some time, re-listed and it sold.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I find it hard to believe that Robertson's jam Golly (black rag dolls with white eyes) badges and pins, mugs, Robertson Golly dolls, ceramic figures, Golly games for children, and even Golly clothing is being sold on eBay.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Were you getting the Warning- which is just that, and is apparently intended to remind sellers that some products (like fake Navaho jewelry) should not be listed , but allows the seller to continue?

Or was your listing immediately blocked so that you could not continue?

I was unable to answer yes or no to any potential problem and was unable to continue making my ad.

Unable because you didn't know the answer, or unable because there was no way to move forward?

I see the "Indian" one when I list Aboriginal /First Nations postcards, and the "Nazi" one with some philatelic items. Both are warnings or reminders but neither prevents listing.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

THANK YOU! That needed, and repeatedly NEEDS TO BE SAID!
I fear that the greatest problem is NOT offending others via thoughtless words, as an insult caused in this way is, at least sometimes, unintended.
Nor is it from a "person, group, organization, or other legal entity" -deliberately- causing insult or offending others with malicious, definite intent to hurt others.

I fear that, taken just a little bit too far, we may all become afraid to talk to each other, just in case someone "takes something the wrong way".
There are few better ways to create and maintain segregation than to destroy communication between those of different races, creeds, colors, etc.

What happened to thinking a person was acting and talking nicely and honestly, as a DEFAULT? Assuming that a seller has bad intentions when they use, apparently, the PROPER NAME, in this case, "Indian Trail Motel", to PROPERLY AND CORRECTLY indicate the source of this item...
I guess the preferred method would be to misrepresent and/or make ambiguous, what the item actually is.
Is this not the same concept that resulted in man and women kidnapped from Africa being referred to as... Nope, not gonna say it. I wouldn't consider referring to a Native American as an "Injun" either.
But that word MIGHT get past the surely well-intentioned ebay censor A.I.
Or are we now expected to refer to an A.I. as, for example a "differently intelligenced / minded entity of alternate personage"?
Ludicrous doesn't even begin to cover it. 😞
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

That, to me, would be more offensive.
Message 20 of 32
latest reply