Try items from ebay for free

Buyer does not like the item, buyer files return and selects reason "there is something wrong with the item".

The email from ebay says: "You can ask us to step in and help if there's a problem with the buyer's request."

The follow-up options offered by Ebay to seller are: 

Accept the return: You pay for shipping and can send our return label or your own. Wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer.

Refund the buyer: You fully refund the buyer to close this request. The buyer keeps the item.

Offer a partial refund: You have one chance to offer an amount. The buyer keeps the item.

Send a message: You can reply to the buyer.

There is no way to challenge buyers claim and have Ebay to step in like the email said, it's just buyer's way or highway.

How do clothes sellers deal with this nonsense ? Must be losing a fortune on this.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Try items from ebay for free

@dipmicro wrote:

Buyer does not like the item, buyer files return and selects reason "there is something wrong with the item".

The email from ebay says: "You can ask us to step in and help if there's a problem with the buyer's request."

The follow-up options offered by Ebay to seller are: 

Accept the return: You pay for shipping and can send our return label or your own. Wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer.

Refund the buyer: You fully refund the buyer to close this request. The buyer keeps the item.

Offer a partial refund: You have one chance to offer an amount. The buyer keeps the item.

Send a message: You can reply to the buyer.

There is no way to challenge buyers claim and have Ebay to step in like the email said, it's just buyer's way or highway.

How do clothes sellers deal with this nonsense ? Must be losing a fortune on this.

Smart ones have enough margin to handle a lot of returns.....

Not so smart ones suffer and blame eBay for their problems....

By the way, you can "challenge" the buyer using the last of the three options.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Don't see it. There was 4 options listed in my first post and none of them involves ebay.

It's only $10, no big deal anyway, just interesting.

Also weird is this buyer bought 4 of the same item, but the return was made only for 3. If the item is bad, why to keep portion of it and Ebay allows it ? It even recalculated original shipping x 3/4. Perhaps he just needed one and this is elaborate scam to save $2 on combined shipping 🙂 I will just let him keep the whole thing anyway, the return shipping will cost more than my cost of all 4 items.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I think that recped was referring to the 'send message' option as you can then ask the buyer exactly what was wrong and in the right situation "challenge' them yourself. For example, if they say they didn't want green gidgets but the listing said they were green, pointing that out might help them to decide to ship the item back on their dime.

I had an inr filed at the beginning of the month and I replied to the buyer in a message and asked him to wait a few more days and to let me know if that was a problem.  I've never heard a word back from him so he likely received the item. If I had just chosen the option to refund, I doubt that he would have contacted me once he did get it.

I do think that in a nad situation, there should be a way for a seller to challenge a nad without taking a chance on getting an closed without seller resolution case.  Getting a return doesn't bother me but having to pay for return shipping is irritating if it was a buyer's remorse problem.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Yeah I meant the third choice. If the details from the claim are so obtuse and lacking in detail then you need to ask the buyer for more information.

There is no way eBay is going to challenge ANY buyer on an initial SNAD claim.

It's actually a good thing that it's not easy to escalate such a claim, if it was sellers would be doing it all the time and that would only result in a lost claim and severe performance standard ding.

If you really want to dispute a SNAD claim you have to call eBay and do it on the phone. Even that needs to be done with caution, better have a rock solid reason or you'll lose.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Yeah I meant the third choice. If the details from the claim are so obtuse and lacking in detail then you need to ask the buyer for more information.

It's actually a good thing that it's not easy to escalate such a claim, if it was sellers would be doing it all the time and that would only result in a lost claim and severe performance standard ding.

If you really want to dispute a SNAD claim you have to call eBay and do it on the phone. Even that needs to be done with caution, better have a rock solid reason or you'll lose.

I've seen a few stories of cs telling the seller that yes, they're right, that it is a remorse return and that they will advise the buyer that they have to pay return shipping. They then promptly close the case in the buyer's favour resulting a closed case without seller resolution defect.   It doesn't happen all of the time but as you said...it needs to done with caution.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@recped wrote:

There are some examples where you can easily challenge a SNAD, such as a case where there is evidence from the buyer that they have physically altered the item and caused the damage themselves. Another case is where they use a SNAD claiming the item was not as described to force a seller to cover return shipping, when the item is in fact correctly described. If you have a valid reason to dispute the claim, ebay is quite easy to deal with on the phone. Physically altered items are the most clear cut, but if there is evidence a buyer is being less than truthful they will have a look at that as well.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

There are some examples where you (the seller) can easily challenge a SNAD, .....................

As a buyer, I recently lost a SNADed case.

Old mesh purses often have damage at the elbows.   That's very common and can be repaired.  My item was described as having damage at the elbows, but his photos carefully concealed that the frame of the purse I bought was actually completely snapped in two on BOTH sides rendering it worthless.

I filed a case which the seller escalated and he won.   This was not an inexpensive item.

I called eBay and they told me that I lost the case because the seller had described the damage and I knowingly bought a damaged piece.

Holy **bleep**!

Eventually eBay refunded my money, which was OK, but that seller did get away with it.

It's very common for eBay to refund buyers themselves and call it a draw.

On eBay, the squeakily wheel gets the grease more often than sellers realize.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I think that recped was referring to the 'send message' option as you can then ask the buyer exactly what was wrong and in the right situation "challenge' them yourself. For example, if they say they didn't want green gidgets but the listing said they were green, pointing that out might help them to decide to ship the item back on their dime.

I had an inr filed at the beginning of the month and I replied to the buyer in a message and asked him to wait a few more days and to let me know if that was a problem.  I've never heard a word back from him so he likely received the item. If I had just chosen the option to refund, I doubt that he would have contacted me once he did get it.

I do think that in a nad situation, there should be a way for a seller to challenge a nad without taking a chance on getting an closed without seller resolution case.  Getting a return doesn't bother me but having to pay for return shipping is irritating if it was a buyer's remorse problem.

Thanks pjcdn2005. Of course we have been through Send Message with the buyer, but any further communication would lead to nothing constructive. I don't have many disputes so may not be current on this week's version of resolution procedure, there used to be some way to get ebay involved. So Ebay now takes buyer's word at face value and seller has no choice but either waste lot of time going through hoops or do what buyer wants. Ebay must have figured it's cheaper for them to take a bit of bad reputation than do actual work. Its done anyway, I refunded that buyer few days ago just so I can move on.

I understand Ebay may have been swamped with mediation cases, but in my opinion there is better ways to mitigate the abuse than having policy of prejudice toward sellers. I am there with you, rewarding buyer remorse will not end well in a long run. Ebay has created a generation of over-demanding under-achievers. Like this guy who whined about one dollar handling and had feedback indicating he tried selling before and had many negs for tripling or quadrupling the postage.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply