Two Buyers No Item Received What Can I Do?

Now I have two buyers whose shipments are way late and have not arrived, each with tracking and both stuck in Chicago with the same reply 'in transit'? I have kept in touch with each buyer, one is reasonable states "not your fault", the other seems to be 'antsy' and mentions they may file a claim to Ebay? Any advice on what to do besides 'just hold on'?? I'm assuming the buyer can go ahead and make a claim against eBay if they want since it's late.....will I be expected to refund? Never encountered this before.  Appreciate any insight, thanks.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Stay polite and respond only to their queries.

Chicago has been a black hole for decades, well before the pandemic slowed things even further.

If the antsy customer files an eBay dispute, enter the tracking number into the Dispute. At worst it will give you a little more time.

But.

If eBay tells you to refund, do it.

Not every sale will go perfectly.

You can keep an eye on both Canada Post and USPS tracking, as well as eBay. They will not always match.

When the package shows delivered, you can send the refunded buyer a new Paypal invoice requesting, politely , the return of the refund.

Works about half the time. Most people are honest.

And let me share the Good News about Cookie Jar Insurance.

This is just adding a few pennies to every sale to cover the occasional problem.

Since this is your first problem in over 500 sales, you won't have to take money out of the Cookie Jar very often.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If they are use for these or future MIA packages here are my "form letters" I customize them to each situation. They have served me well, but I'm in a "safer" category than many (stamps).

For when a case is opened:

======================

Hi BUYERNAME! I am sorry to hear that the stamps have not yet arrived. I trust you got my note advising that they were shipped on Monday April 12 ?

I definitely share your frustration with the postal delays! Unfortunately the COVID-19 pandemic is still affecting a lot of shipments with no rhyme nor reason as to which ones are affected.

Now that a case has been opened the only options eBay gives me are to send a message or refund and irregardless of messages, I have to refund by Monday May 10th. If it is ok by you, I will wait to refund until Monday May 10. If it arrives before then, you can just close the case. If it doesn't arrive by the 10th, I will refund out of my own funds. There is a very very good chance it will arrive after that, and if it does please let me know and I’ll send another invoice so you can pay again (this is my full time job, small parcels like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they do not arrive).

Thank you very much for your patience during all of this, let me know if you are ok with this plan, and I hope you have a great day!!! RICARMIC (Ron)

For when a case is not yet opened:

===========================

Hi BUYERNAME! I am sorry to hear that the stamps have not yet arrived, I hope you received my note advising that they were mailed on Wed March 3rd.

I definitely share your frustration with the postal delays! Unfortunately the COVID-19 pandemic is still affecting a lot of shipments, especially those going overseas. Unfortunately it is not uncommon anymore for shipments from here in Canada to folks in Australia to take up to 10 to 12 weeks to arrive. The weird part is that some shipments go fast and some go very very slow, with no rhyme nor reason as to which are affected! The good news is that ever since COVID began, my package loss rate has remained below 1/2 of 1% so over 99.5% of the time the packages do eventually arrive.

I would really appreciate it if you don’t mind waiting another couple weeks or so before we decide the package is lost and I refund your money, but I will be ok whenever you decide. If it gets to the point that you think it has been long enough, please just open an item not received case and I will refund your money out of my own funds. Assuming the parcel does arrive after that, let me know and I’ll send another invoice so you can pay again (this is my full time job, small parcels like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they do not arrive).

Thank you very much for your patience during all of this, and I hope you have a great day!!! RICARMIC (Ron)

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

The answer to all of your queries is yes.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply