US buyer paid the shipping cost for worldwide.

This is the second time, I have US buyer paid more than she had to, and I don't really like it because have to refund the extra and another minutes to email her explain why.

My listing said shipping cost to US is $2, worlwide $6.

She paid $6 instead $2.

Sigh....

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: US buyer paid the shipping cost for worldwide.

Just refund the extra amount & send a message to the buyer. That is what i do.

Takes about two minutes.

Buyer will love you for being so honest & will probably be back to buy more from you.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

How do buyers pay more than what you put in the shipping columns? That is not possible.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Sometimes it happens Inuk.

When offering flat rate shipping you can click on United States & when you offer additional shipping worldwide thay have separate click ons that combines North & South America, but has a separate click on for Mexico. Strange.

Both US shipping amounts seem to show up on the invoice.

I have seen this in the past & have refunded the difference.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

BB you were right only 2 minutes to send message to my buyer,

I had time to post here, shouldn't complain about it, but I wish ebay did not give the buyer shipping option to choose light package USA $2 or light package international $6.

Unexperience buyer might think if he/she choose the expensive one, the item would reach them faster.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I just received a wonderful email from one of my customers. She bought 5 of my patterns. The shipping charge was very high. I investigated and found that if I combined 2 patterns in each of 2 of the envelopes and 1 in another envelope the  shipping would be less than half. I let her know that this is how I could give her combined shipping. She was happy with this. This email was over and above the feedback. It might have cost me a few more cents for envelopes but I am  sure she will be back and maybe tell some of her friends. The time it took was worth it.

penny6105

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

" I wish ebay did not give the buyer shipping option to choose light package USA $2 or light package international $6."

eBay does exactly what you instructed them to do.

Checking one of your listings, when viewed by an American buyer shows TWO choices (for example 171010774148):

US $4.00 US $2.00 United States Canada Post Small Packets - USA - Air

US $6.00 US $3.00 United States Small Packets - International - Air

Only you can solve the problem when selecting the shipping charges.

You need one charge for USA

And a different charge for the rest of the world EXCLUDING the USA and Canada.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

BB you were right.

Thanks for the compliment, but i must remind you it only happens every five years.

The time it took was worth it.

eBay is now a highly competitive market.

Every little bit of extra service certainly helps & it takes so little effort on a Sellers part.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Pierre, i just checked some of my listings. I am seeing two US Shipping Rates.

I offer the usual US & Canadian rates, but when you offer International Shipping North & South America are combined & have a separate click on. They should have South America as a stand alone click on as the US & Mexico already have their own click ons.

When you don't click on United States under International Shipping it still shows as another rate for shipping to the US along with the original, less expensive shipping rate.

Not sure if that makes sense.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Basically, the way the listing form is set up on eBay.ca, to avoid offering choices to American buyers, you need to offer, in addition to Canada:

1) United States

2) Everything else you want to ship to except "America" and "United States", basically eliminating South America (who wants to ship there anyway? It has been nothing but problems for me). 

By selecting America, eBay includes the USA by default.  It seems stupid but that is the way eBay does it.

Of course the above does not apply if a seller offers the same fixed shipping cost to the USA and overseas.

The problem does not exist if you list on eBay.com where USA becomes domestic shipping.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Hasn't been a problem for me, buyers usually pay the less expensive shipping rate to the US.

Only one paid the pricey option & i refunded the difference.

Did not know this would not happen if i listed on .com, however it seems logical.

Never heard you mention South America previously. Still have not had problems shipping there, but i imagine the law of averages will catch up with me eventually.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

"Never heard you mention South America previously'

I have blocked South and Central America for many years. Averaged at least one claim of non-receipt every five shipments.  Not worth it.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Whoa ! Too many. Your are right, not worth it.

Was that the four or six hundred dollar shipment that went missing a few years back ?

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

No, that was over seven hundred and it was "lost" on its way to Calgary, Alberta. 😞

Shipments to South America were usually smallish ($20 / $50) all sent letterpost without tracking or insurance.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Ouch !   I recall you mentioning that one time.

My South American clientele seem to be Metalheads.

Remind me not to send an Iron Maiden Stamp Set , if there is one, to SA.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Thanks Pierre, I got your hint,

Since I ship worlwide I have never got order from south America anyway, so there is no problem if I didn't specify shipping cost to north and south america.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply