Un Real

I desparately need some advice from a more experienced sellers.

A buyer opened a claim of non receipt approximately 30 days after I mailed an item. I spoke with them and believed them. I however explained to them it is a canada post issue not a me issue and even opened a claim on "our" behalf with some hopes of this getting resolved.

I provides a tracking number to protect my earnings (btw a measly $10), which is not that big a deal to refund but the buyer also expects me to refund the shipping as well so id be out $30+ total on this transaction.

Ebay shut it down pretty quick and they were declined a refund which I was pleased to see. I also received notification that any negative feedback placed by the buyer will be blocked.

The buyer then said theyd open a paypal case against me, which they did.

I have not seen the outcome of that yet, though I did provide the tracking number to paypal as requested. I never heard back.

I went quiet with the buyer and did not want to trigger them any further.

The buyer went a week or so with no contact then messaged me a week later to inform me canada post had spoke with them, and would be contacting me next. I checked for an update on my canada post account at that time and saw it is still under investigation. I have not spoke with them since I opened the ticket and provided the buyers contact info plus my own.

I see a message in my inbox this morning stating there is an "update" to my case, and it turns out the buyer has suddenly decided to change their whole story (presumably after losing both cases). They are now claiming they did receive the item but its "not as described".

Im sorry but LOL.. this is a sealed tube of face cream, from a very popular brand. If there is one item I have that I could not think of a single reason that someone could feel its not as described, this would be the one.

The buyer is clearly angry that the postal system failed them and is now resorting to lies and false narratives in order to claw back all of the money, and EBAY IS ENTERTAINING THIS C r a p??

Anybody with some common sense could see this is a dishonest buyer. I actually believe they did not receive the item, however, their apparent need to get their money back is more important to them than the truth, or acting with any type of ethics or morals. Its sickening to me that this is allowed, 2 weeks after they lost their second case and 3-4 weeks since they lost the first.

Now I am very annoyed..

Somebody pleas help me put this scam artist in their place. Its become less about the money, its more about the principle of it now.

Ive thought about a few ways to begin, so please share your feedback on which, if you feel any of the following will be appropriate or helpful to my case:

1 - contact ebay before giving any sort of response, explain the situation.

I can also include the fact the buyer recently admitted to canada post the item was not there but I dont know how to show them that.

2 - ask the buyer to send a picture of the item. im thinking when i do they may pull a picture from another site off of the web with some petty complaint. i will immediately do a google image search if possible and document any finding. the item is recently discontinued and so im hard pressed to think of any other way they could get a picture without doing it, since im 100% certain they still dont have it at this point.

3 - explain that they must be prepared to return it to me (again they dont have it so they will have to say no)

4 - your suggestion??

please and thanks.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Un Real

Thank you,

to clarify,

the buyer opened and lost a case THEY opened for item not received.

I opened a case with canada post on our behalf. ebay is not involved with that.

now that they exhausted their options regarding the truth, they are now lieing and backtracking to carve an alternative route to what they want.

I said its not about the money, and no I dont want to pay them just to end it, and now that they are outright lying I am not going to give in now, im going to fight them.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Un Real

The buyer wants a refund on a $10 item.

You are willing but want the item returned.

YOU opened a Claim.

EBay shut it down.

Sellers can open an Unpaid Item Dispute- and your buyer paid.

So how and what did you try to open?  Only the Buyer can start a Buyer Remorse or Not As Described dispute.

With Buyer Remorse, the buyer pays for the return.

With NAD, the seller pays for the return.

MOst buyers are human enough not to want to pay more than they will get refunded for shipping, and will move to the NAD. Dishonest but not a scam as such.

More important- while the seller can send return shipping, they can also refund without return if they prefer.

20/20 hindsight- A refund of the $10 would have ended this immediately. As would a refund of the buyer's entire payment of $40.

The buyer then said theyd open a paypal case against me, which they did.... though I did provide the tracking number to paypal as requested.

Sounds as if the PP dispute was Not Received.  In that case, since you proved delivery, their caseshould fail.

If they had chosen  Not As Described PP would require them to pay for return shipping.  

Did you provide the Proof of Delivery (shipping number) to Paypal? 
PP is not a part of eBay . It was sold off about five years ago.

I agree that your buyer lost the PP case.

Point out in the new/renewed eBay case that the buyer opened (and lost) a Paypal case.

EBay does not allow double-dipping.

1.)The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that mean giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.
https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

2.) EBay doesn't  look at pictures.

3.)You can always demand Return before Refund even if you have a No Returns policy. EBay may still require you to  supply the shipping label,and you won't get anything saleable back.

4.) Rewrite this post to remove all emotion and use it as the first post to a Chat with eBay. Point out in the Chat that the buyer opened (and lost) a Paypal case.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Un Real

Thank you,

to clarify,

the buyer opened and lost a case THEY opened for item not received.

I opened a case with canada post on our behalf. ebay is not involved with that.

now that they exhausted their options regarding the truth, they are now lieing and backtracking to carve an alternative route to what they want.

I said its not about the money, and no I dont want to pay them just to end it, and now that they are outright lying I am not going to give in now, im going to fight them.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Un Real

UPDATE:

False alarm!

I failed to open the buyers comments on this case. They are not that bright and they basically admitted the package is still missing and that they clicked NAD to reopen the case.

I cannot believe ebay does zero screening of such actions.

Anyway, theyve just sunk their ship even further as far as i can see.

If you dont hear from me youll know it all came down in my favor. phew!

thanks to the one that responded.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Un Real

Did tracking show that the item was delivered to the buyer?

If yes, that's why the case on ebay was in your favour.

If an item not received case was opened on Paypal and tracking shows delivered, ebay would protect you then as well, regardless of what Paypal decided.

Your post is confusing so I'm not sure if the buyer did change their claim to a not as described case and if so, if that was on PP or ebay.   But if PP has allowed to them change their claim, it is usually difficult for a seller to win a not as described case.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Un Real

how would a refund of $10 have ended this?  It was a $10 item PLUS $20 shipping approx, so a $30 refund.  Why should OP have refunded the $30 to someone who clearly didn't deserve a refund?  Even Ebay and Paypal both agreed the buyer didn't deserve a refund.

If the buyer had stuck to their story about not receiving the item then they may have gotten a refund directly from Ebay or Paypal, which would not have come out of OP's pocket.  But the buyer has probably sunk their own ship by now opening a NAD case, because they look like a scammer now, even though they may merely be naive.

The whole INR/SNAD system needs a bit of an overhaul as it's far too automated.  A few seconds of human input from Ebay or Paypal at the beginning would have ended this quickly, rather than having it drag on for days.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply