Used as is laptop sale, buyer asking for deduction

gbm97
Community Member

Hi, sold used laptop as is.

Buyer wrote me claiming defective hard drive and asking for a deduction 22 days after received.

What is best for me to do?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Ask him to open a 'Return for Refund' case. He'll claim not as described and you'll have to pay postage for him to get the equipment back to you but you'll be able to examine and fix to sell again.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

As to the issue with 'as is' was it listed as for parts and not working? Or did you write 'as is' in the description somewhere?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I wrote As Is in the description only. No mention of parts or not working.

I like to offer them a deduction, otherwise they may file a not as described claim and I rather not go through all that.

I misunderstood what As Is means I guess. If I offer a deduction do I do it in a regular message or ask them to open a claim and do it that way.

Whos to say they don't file a claim after I paypal a deduction.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Either way, it should be fine.

Nothing would stop the buyer from filing via PayPal other than that they’d have to pay return postage and that’s something most buyers try to avoid.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I like to offer them a deduction,

Just a note on the jargon around here.

What you are talking about is usually called a 'partial refund'.

You still pay full eBay fees on the buyer's original payment, even if you give him a partial refund.

Your cost for Return for a Full Refund is the shipping and return shipping.

You still have the broken laptop to relist and resell.

And nothing stops a buyer who has received a partial refund from opening a Not As Described dispute.

Or leaving appropriate feedback.

Generally, I believe if it's good enough to keep, it's good enough to pay for.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Also, here is the best that I could find on 'as is' which isn't really a term applied to ebay sales since everything sold here is subject to the MoneyBack Guarantee.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/item-condition.html

I think the relevant section is this: 

For parts or not working

An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller's listing for full details.

Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 5.54.44 PM.png

Computers and parts is admittedly not my thing so another user may be in a better position to address this than I, but I suspect the laptop should have been listed as a For Parts or Not Working because of the key issues you did identify. That the buyer (allegedly) found something else is a matter for some debate. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

realynicestamps and momcqueen thanks, for your input and explanation. Lesson learnt, next time parts or not working section.

I sent $50.00 via Paypal to help towards a new used hard drive .

Buyer seems happy.

Hopefully it's done now.

Take care

Message 8 of 8
latest reply