Volumetric Weight Comes to PayPal!

Some of you may be aware that I've had an issue with underpaid postage due to volumetric measure.

I purchased an Expedited USA label on Snap Ship tonight.  I abandoned Shippo after creating my account and realizing I would have to read through, likely, extensive Help pages to complete customs information and duties and tax information.

The measurements of my parcel were: 28 x 20 x 12, with a weight of .9 kg.  The cost was 21.50 which I thought was a little high given their current discount.  Then I noticed this:

1 Box 

28.0cm x 20.0cm x 12.0cm

0.900 kg

1.35 kg (VE) ?

When I saw the 1.35 kg weight, I clicked on the question mark and saw:

The weight and dimensions of your package are used to calculate the volumetric equivalent.

So, at least we know that Snap Ship is doing the calculation for us.

Then I went to PayPal to see what would happen if I created the label there.  And for the first time, I noticed at the top of the page:

PayPal Volumetric.jpg

When you click on the guide, there are detailed instructions on how to calculate the volumetric weight and it is clear that it is up to the purchaser to ensure the correct weight is entered.

The box I shipped is the size of many that I send.  So I may use Snap Ship since they do the calculation for you.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It's come to PayPal?  It's always been there.

I had a look at that information and it does not say to me that a customer has to figure out the volumetric weight on their own.  That information is on the CP site and is describing how they figure out the base rate, it isn't anything specific to PP or specific to printing a label.  They explain how they figure out volumetric rate but I don't see where it is "clear" that when printing a label a customer must enter volumetric rate.

You seem to believe  I am making it up, but once again I have to say that PP shipping really does charge you for the volumetric rate. It is easy enough to check yourself.  I wanted to double checked it tonight just in case something had changed so I sent money for 'goods' from my husbands pp to my own pp account so that I could test it.

The first dimensions I entered has a volumetric weight of 83 gr so the actual weight (85gr) and volumetric weight would be the same price. (25x20x10  ÷ 6000=83)   When I changed one dimension and left the package weight the same, the volumetric weight became 1.16 kg  (35x20x10 ÷ 6000= 1.16kg) so Pp automatically increased the cost of the label.  If they were not basing the label cost on volume, the price would not have changed.

25x20x10cm. 85 grams. Total postage $9.60

35x20x10cm 85 grams. Total postage $10.22

To show that the 2nd example was the volumetric rate I entered the original dimensions 25 20 10 with a weight of 1.16kg. The cost showing was $10.22

I realize that his information may be confusing and more than you want to know but since I keep posting that PP uses volumetric pricing and you keep posting that they don't, I'm not sure how else to show that I am giving the correct info.  

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It's come to PayPal?  It's always been there.

I had a look at that information and it does not say to me that a customer has to figure out the volumetric weight on their own.  That information is on the CP site and is describing how they figure out the base rate, it isn't anything specific to PP or specific to printing a label.  They explain how they figure out volumetric rate but I don't see where it is "clear" that when printing a label a customer must enter volumetric rate.

You seem to believe  I am making it up, but once again I have to say that PP shipping really does charge you for the volumetric rate. It is easy enough to check yourself.  I wanted to double checked it tonight just in case something had changed so I sent money for 'goods' from my husbands pp to my own pp account so that I could test it.

The first dimensions I entered has a volumetric weight of 83 gr so the actual weight (85gr) and volumetric weight would be the same price. (25x20x10  ÷ 6000=83)   When I changed one dimension and left the package weight the same, the volumetric weight became 1.16 kg  (35x20x10 ÷ 6000= 1.16kg) so Pp automatically increased the cost of the label.  If they were not basing the label cost on volume, the price would not have changed.

25x20x10cm. 85 grams. Total postage $9.60

35x20x10cm 85 grams. Total postage $10.22

To show that the 2nd example was the volumetric rate I entered the original dimensions 25 20 10 with a weight of 1.16kg. The cost showing was $10.22

I realize that his information may be confusing and more than you want to know but since I keep posting that PP uses volumetric pricing and you keep posting that they don't, I'm not sure how else to show that I am giving the correct info.   

First of all, my subject title was more of a little tongue-in-cheek statement, drawing one's attention to the fact that volumetric measure is now mentioned on the label page.

The way I interpreted the information on the link is that the purchaser must ensure the accurate weight or the volumetric equivalent is stated on the label.  I was wrong .... you were right.

I wasn't posting that they don't and I never implied that you weren't giving correct info and that you should prove it.  I simply stated that in three instances, PayPal and Canada Post did not charge me sufficient funds for postage and I was told, as I've mentioned several times, it was because the size of box required volumetric measure.  If they did it automatically, I wouldn't be paying the extra charges.

According to you, they lied.  I chose to believe that lie.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Oh brother!  I thought this whole mess with underpaid postage was over with.  I was quite certain that I had paid the correct postage on my last label, since Snap Ship showed the volumetric weight after I entered the dimensions and presumably charged me accordingly.

I checked my credit card statement tonight and there is an additional $2.00 charge.  This is the fourth time this has happened so I definitely have to get on the phone with them and find out what's going on.  I thought I would mention this in the event others see an additional charge on their credit cards if they're using Snap Ship.

Extra Postage.jpg

Message 4 of 4
latest reply