Watermaking photos or putting your name on the photos

I like many of you spend a lot of time taking photo's, deciding on the best picture, cropping etc.  At one point I could use ebay watermarking on the photo's which I liked.  Someone had used my pictures on their listing and I asked them to do their own which they did.  

I don't like the fact that ebay is not allowing that in future.  I was going to make my own watermark and came across this on .com.

No text or artwork on photos

No text or artwork (such as “free shipping” or seller logos) may be added to photos. Copy that is essential to your listing should be placed in the title, subtitle, or item description.

Does that mean I cannot use musicyouneed at the bottom of the photo?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

hlmacdon
Community Member

@musicyouneed wrote:

No text or artwork (such as “free shipping” or seller logos) may be added to photos. Copy that is essential to your listing should be placed in the title, subtitle, or item description.

My understanding is that only a logo element that conforms to the watermark policy is allowed. Of course technically your logo could be text. There are plenty of sellers getting away with it currently and I can't recall ever seeing listings removed for it, even with some really egregious examples. 

If I am recalling correct they've removed the automatic watermark feature on one of the listing tools. With the structured data initiative I am sure they are heading towards a complete removal of all watermarks and a forfeiture of rights to your images so they can be used in the product catalog.

One side solution to your problem would be to find a cheap vps host, throw up a database template site with your photos then file vero claims against anyone using your images, if it bothers you enough. Ebay is quite responsive to those although the filing process is a bit of a pain in the butt.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:
...No text or artwork (such as “free shipping” or seller logos) may be added to photos. Copy that is essential to your listing should be placed in the title, subtitle, or item description.

You'll only get into trouble if people complain about the image to eBay.

If the text you add for watermarking is your eBay ID I don't think you'll have a problem (but do remember that saying about free advice), since you are not directing traffic away from eBay.

My 10+ year experience: eBay hasn't complained about added text to an image (I do mostly scans rather than photos these days).  But I do try to limit added text to that which adds value to the image.

One watermark method I've used is adding ID in a really tiny font -- so it's only noticed if someone looks for it...

Just make sure the watermark does not look like it is an actual part of the product for sale.

-..-

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I like many of you spend a lot of time taking photo's, deciding on the best picture, cropping etc.  At one point I could use eBay watermarking on the photo's which I liked.  Someone had used my pictures on their listing and I asked them to do their own which they did.  

I don't like the fact that eBay is not allowing that in future.  I was going to make my own watermark and came across this on .com.

As usual, eBay.com USA is contradicting itself in one area of ebay.com USA and another.

The document that you refer to as having the text you mention above is here.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing/create-effective-listings/take-great-pictures.html

However if you search eBay.com US Help for policies on this, you get rules for watermarking where having text with your eBay id is allowed.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/pictures.html

Adding a watermark to your photos

If you'd like to add a watermark on your photos, follow these guidelines:

• We only allow watermarks for ownership and attribution.

• Watermarks shouldn't distract from the image.

• Watermarks can't serve a marketing purpose, such as specific details about your item or customer service.

• Watermarks should be no bigger than 5% of the total image area.

• Watermarks should have an opacity of no more than 50%.

• Links aren't allowed in watermarks.

Best practices and quality standards

To make sure buyers get a good look at the item they're thinking about purchasing:

• Try to use a photo that is at least 1600 pixels on the longest side. However, we recommend you don't enlarge smaller images to make them 1600 pixels. The photos you use must be at least 500 pixels on the longest side.

• You can upload photos in these file formats:

• JPEG (.jpg file extension)

• PNG (.png file extension)

• TIFF (.tif file extension)

• BMP (.bmp file extension)

• GIF (.gif file extension)

• If your photo is in JPEG format, it should have a quality of 90 or higher on the 0-99 JPEG quality scale. We then optimize it for display in your listing.

• Photos can't have borders or text on them, with the exception of a watermark showing that the photo belongs to you.

The New Advanced Listing Tool no longer has an option in the tool to watermark a listing with your eBay ID or the eBay watermark logo.  See this FAQ on the New Advanced Listing tool.

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/advancedtoolfaq.html

What happened to Photo watermarks?

Usage of Photo watermarks has been on the decline and has not been shown to improve selling success. Additionally, we’ve changed the image and text theft policy, which eliminates the need to include photo watermarks.

The image and text theft policy is here.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/image-text.html

How to prevent users from using your images

You may want to use watermarks or other identifiers to deter picture theft by other sellers. Learn more about adding watermarks to your photos.

I do believe eBay is moving to no watermarking and that may be enforced in the next eBay Seller Update or the one after. Technically since policies still exist that allow watermarking, you should not have issues watermarking today.

One issue is how to meet the very specific watermark rules for size and opacity in the policy I listed above. A seller could use an outside free tool to watermark the photos before uploading to eBay. But having a third party tool that conforms to the specific eBay image watermarking rules can be difficult to find or even know how to set it to conform to the policy.

eBay member shipscript has a few free tools for watermarking images but when I looked a the tools, they were designed in the past and have options that allow watermarking that does not seem to conform to current policy. I will send here a private message to come read this topic and comment on the policy and her tools.

One of the ironies of removing the eBay watermarking tools in the eBay New Advanced Listing Tool is that eBay had a copy of the image uploaded that was not watermarked before adding their own. This meant they could have a watermark free copy of the images for their catalog. Forcing sellers to add their watermark to the images before uploading the images to eBay marks the images so eBay cannot easily use them.

Supposedly a seller can opt out of eBay taking the sellers images for their catalog. But apparently the opt out option is no longer available according to another recent topic in these forums.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/New-Advanced-Listing-Tool-Announced/m-p/370989

I apologize for this long post. But researching takes time and I like to be thorough and have references to back up what I understand. I remember looking into images and eBay policies when they changes the image policy a few years back to have a minimum of 500 pixels on the longest side and made all the changes to the image policies. Not much has changes since that big change but the current eBay direction seems to be to discourage watermarking on images.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Supposedly a seller can opt out of eBay taking the sellers images for their catalog. But apparently the opt out option is no longer available according to another recent topic in these forums.

The option is still there at least for me. On .com it is listed under site preferences --> selling preferences --> Share your photos. I seem to recall that option may not have been available on .ca as I seem to recall discussing that with Raphael at some point. I'll have to dig back and see if that was in a pm or one of the question threads.

As usual ebay is incompetent with documentation of policies. The below advises you to check the updated image and text theft policy for details on not needing photo watermarks, so naturally when you load said revised policy it suggests using a watermark to deter theft of your images. LOL.

Usage of Photo watermarks has been on the decline and has not been shown to improve selling success. Additionally, we’ve changed the image and text theft policy, which eliminates the need to include photo watermarks.

You may want to use watermarks or other identifiers to deter picture theft by other sellers. Learn more about adding watermarks to your photos.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

The option is still there at least for me. On .com it is listed under site preferences --> selling preferences --> Share your photos. I seem to recall that option may not have been available on .ca as I seem to recall discussing that with Raphael at some point. I'll have to dig back and see if that was in a pm or one of the question threads.

As usual ebay is incompetent with documentation of policies. The below advises you to check the updated image and text theft policy for details on not needing photo watermarks, so naturally when you load said revised policy it suggests using a watermark to deter theft of your images. LOL.

Usage of Photo watermarks has been on the decline and has not been shown to improve selling success. Additionally, we’ve changed the image and text theft policy, which eliminates the need to include photo watermarks.

You may want to use watermarks or other identifiers to deter picture theft by other sellers. Learn more about adding watermarks to your photos.

Yes, I noticed that too. Typical eBay.

I do believe you are right that eBay is moving to no watermarking at all on new and existing images in images because of the structured data initiative. I expect in the next seller update to see this new policy.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

eBay member shipscript made a free tool for watermarking images. Here is a link to the tool.

http://www.zippyhelp.com/imagetools/watermark/watermarker_batch.htm

It will make watermarking easier than most tools since it is designed for eBay.

However, I strongly suspect watermarking will be banned in the next year. So if you do not need to watermark images, do not because you may have to remove them one day. At least keep the original images watermark free and watermark copies of the original images to be uploaded to eBay.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Yes, I noticed that too. Typical eBay.

I do believe you are right that eBay is moving to no watermarking at all on new and existing images in images because of the structured data initiative. I expect in the next seller update to see this new policy.

They are basically cloning the Amazon model, where watermarks are verboten and seller images are automatically incorporated into the product catalog so it only makes sense. The majority of the grunt work of the SDI is done using the human capital of the sellers. The problem is with the breadth of what is sold on marketplaces like an amazon or ebay you can't get full coverage from any of the traditional content aggregators that power most of the dropshipping industry. Sellers are basically free content aggregators these days.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply