What am I missing here? UPS is like 3-5x more expensive than Canada Post. Why do they even exist??

I created my UPS account and linked it to Shippo yesterday but it seems it was a big waste of time. It seems even with high saving %, they're always going to be ridiculously more expensive than CP.

https://ibb.co/gApNFn

https://ibb.co/hRKiMS

Is there a bug in Shippo?

Am I doing something wrong?

Why would anyone use UPS??

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What am I missing here? UPS is like 3-5x more expensive than Canada Post. Why do they even exist??

Couriers are often faster, and cut major deals for major shippers. Generally speaking, eBay sellers do not qualify for major. We’re minor.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The other thing to take into consideration using UPS for shipments to the USA or Internationally  is along with preparing the waybill, you also are required to include a commercial invoice. " A Commercial Invoice is used for all shipments containing physical goods (non-documents). The invoice is the primary document used for importation control, valuation, and duty determination. This document identifies the products being shipped, and to whom." My personal opinion is filling this out is much quicker and streamlined with Canadapost in either Shippo, Paypal or the Canadapost site.  One of the reasons UPS shipping is much more expensive is due to the fact they build in a fee to cover customs clearing for your shipment. If the value of your shipment to the USA is over $800.00 and you are using standard shipping you would pay to have it cleared for you. Confirm with UPS prior to using their services. Depending on the shipment value you may have to pay for clearing for shipments coming to you from the USA and internationally. The best surprises with shipping are no surprises!!!

https://www.ups.com/us/en/shipping/zones-and-rates/us-customs-brokerage-fees.page

Either way, as long as your documentation is correct/accurate, your shipment will move relatively smoothly. Errors or forget something, delays can, will and do happen. Basing this information on years of personally preparing customs documents with numerous systems.

-CM

PS. If I've ommitted anything, my apolgies.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Did you create your ups account through ebay/shippo or did you actually call UPS with the expected amount of parcels you plan on shipping etc?  I think that if you talk to them yourself your rates might be better??

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Canada Post covers all of Canada (even getting subcontracts from UPS and FedEx for rural and isolated destinations), belongs to the Universal Postal Union which allows them to deliver anywhere in the world that has a postal system (including Antartica), pay their workers a union wage with excellent benefits, charges a $9.95 service fee for customs brokerage, and put all their profits, and they are profitable most years, into the general government coffers.

UPS is a private business, doesn't deliver everywhere, has a non-union workforce, charges $25 or more for customs brokerage, and pay some taxes on their profits.

Cui bono?

UPS does deliver faster in urban centres and is designed as a business to business system. For a business, their charges are tax deductible.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Using the figures from your images, the answer is simple: Speed of delivery.

The slowest UPS time you show is for 4 days at $33.73 -- the equivalent Canada Post for 4 days is Xpresspost at $29.20 -- which is not much of a difference.

There are many people out there who are willing to trade money for time. Which is one of the reasons UPS is still in business.

-..-

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Which UPS service are you trying to use? UPS Standard is the only economical service.

What discount did they offer? Anything less than 30 - 40% off counter rates is too much but you need volume to get the high discounts.

I had the opportunity to piggyback on a corporate FedEx account a few years ago, the discount was 65% on FedEx Ground.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply