What should I do - two offers on auction

jcd931
Community Member

One of the items I have for sale has a bid.  The bidder reached out to me a couple of days after the auction started and offered me a good price, about $70.00 above my auction start price.  I've got 7 watchers on the item.  I sent an email back, thanking them for the offer and saying I usually let an auction run its course, even though it sometimes does not work in my favor.  Nice emails back and forth and shortly after that I received a bid from this bidder. 

Today, another eBay member reached out to me, asking what it would take for me to end the auction and sell it to them at a BIN price, as they wanted to buy it for a Valentine's Day gift.  I sent a note back to them saying much the same thing I said to the first inquiry.  This member emailed back saying they would buy it for double the price of the first member's offer.  This eBay member has not given a lot of feedback in the last while, but what he HAS given in the past (over a year ago), shows quite a few negative feedbacks.  Any thoughts on what you would do in a situation like this? 

I'm of two minds here.  If I DID accept the second offer, I'd feel obligated to be in touch with the original person who offered/bid and tell them what the situation is and offer to sell it to them, for the price the second person offered.  The only thing is, they might think I'm trying to coerce them into a higher offer.  Then again, I'm tempted just to let it run to the end of the auction and whatever happens, happens.  I know I run the risk of having the second offer win the auction and leave negative feedback for whatever reason they might come up with.

Has anybody on the forum run into a situation similar to this?  Any suggestions?  Thanks for helping out.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have had this happen several times over the last number of years.

The good news for you is that behaviour like this means you are very likely to have good bids on the item from a number of bidders and likely a bidding war. The folks that reach out early are trying to scoop it for much under what they think the real value is and that it will close for. They'll make all kinds of excuses why it is good for you to sell it to them in advance. (You might want to look at if they sell stuff and if they're selling the stuff that you're running....)

IMO don't sell to these folks, as far as I remember for myself NEVER has one of them acutally purchased my item and when it sells it has sold for much more than they've offered.  

These folks are a blessing in disguise, they let you know you have something that is very very likely to have a bidding war.

My response is always" "Thank you very much for your note and inquiry, I am sorry but to be fair to all it is my policy to let auctions run to close. Good luck with your bidding and have a great day!"

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

It's like a bidding war without bidding this is weird. I would have told them that i won't stop the auction early. Because your item seems to have high demand with people hyped for it, this is literally what you want from an auction. This private talk avoid them to bid right now and this waste of time make you lose real bids (the time they wait answers, they don't bid)

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Good point....I never considered that while they're waiting to hear back from me, they aren't bidding.  

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I have had this happen several times over the last number of years.

The good news for you is that behaviour like this means you are very likely to have good bids on the item from a number of bidders and likely a bidding war. The folks that reach out early are trying to scoop it for much under what they think the real value is and that it will close for. They'll make all kinds of excuses why it is good for you to sell it to them in advance. (You might want to look at if they sell stuff and if they're selling the stuff that you're running....)

IMO don't sell to these folks, as far as I remember for myself NEVER has one of them acutally purchased my item and when it sells it has sold for much more than they've offered.  

These folks are a blessing in disguise, they let you know you have something that is very very likely to have a bidding war.

My response is always" "Thank you very much for your note and inquiry, I am sorry but to be fair to all it is my policy to let auctions run to close. Good luck with your bidding and have a great day!"

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

What a perfect solution to my "problem"!.  Do you mind if I use your wording?  It's exactly what I need to say in this situation. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

The second who leaves negs is a huge flag for me, and I would avoid that like crazy.  If you have lots of time left on the item and an offer was crazy, crazy, and you wanted to take it I would set up an eclusive only listing for them with a generic title and a brief description of the item with immediate payment. Like ricarmic said, lots of the supposed offers are from flakes - I think they get someone to make an offer then keep looking for a better deal.

Anyway, doubling up at an auction over an initial starting price is not uncommon, and the interest shown is very encouraging.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Hi!

I've found if I get quick responses/questions and watchers right away after listing an item (which sounds like that happened for you!) I always say the same thing, "thank you for your interest but I have a number of people interested in this item so I would like to let the auction play out to be fair to everyone".  Most times they do end up bidding and often the item does go for a decent price. I wouldn't accept the second offer, especially when the first interested party is already bidding! To cancel an item with bids is not good at all, if bidder complains you could have a defect on your account. In the future you could also have the "Make an Offer" with an auction, you wouldn't have to decide immediately and if those two people were making offers at the same time you could choose the one you were most comfortable with (or none). Once you have a bid you can't use the Make an Offer though.

Since you already have a bit of a bad vibe about this second person (based on feedback, etc), I wouldn't risk it, especially if he wants it as Valentine gift...you'll have to be worrying about shipping times, if it doesn't make it on time, etc.

It's ultimately your call but if it were me I would let it play out...hopefully it works out for you! Good luck!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Not every offer in biddings are a red flag tho! I already spotted one with a few hours left, contacted the seller to offer like 90% of his starting price and asked him to ship lettermail instead of tracking. I saved like $25 on a $40 + $20 listing and he did the same profit, cause he paid less fees setting the invoice to free shipping and shipped for $2 instead. He avoided the risk to have to relist and wait one week too. Some offers are win/win

Having my low feedbacks buyer account, most sellers would have ignored me, lose a sale and lose time

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@jcd931 Hi! Yes everyone is welcome to use parts or all of any of the wordings I put out in any of my threads, that's why I put them out there, feel free to use whatever works for you! 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

contacted the seller to offer like 90% of his starting price and asked him to ship lettermail instead of tracking.

For me asking the seller not to track would be a red flag, since tracking is one of the very few Seller Protections we have.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I would let the auction run its course as many others have suggested already. I will even add the second "offerer" (the one you said has left multiple negs to other buyers) on the blocked buyer list. That guy sounds like a PITA already and I wouldn't want to deal with them at all even if it means potentially losing sales. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply