When and how are the seller fees deducted on each transaction in MP?

Am i going to get dozens of little withdrawls from my bank account every month?

Up til now, when i get a sale, even though i'm in Managed Payments the fees are added to a monthly invoice, like before MP.   But that's about to change.

I was stunned to see that, when i had a recent INR case and the amount of the refund was taken from my Available Funds and put on Hold, that when i refunded the buyer, the refund did not come from the hold money, but from my Available Funds.  Absolutely stupid.  So essentially one is out twice the money for a while, for every chargeback, INR etc.  Lunacy.  Would it not make incredible sense to take the refund from the money on Hold.........since that's why it was put on Hold?  Instead, when you refund a buyer the amount comes from Available Funds (or your bank account if Available Funds are insufficient) and the Hold money is put back into your Available Funds.  Beyond crazy.

So this has me thinking that when i am in full blown MP that, after each Tuesday payout, when my Available Funds will be zero, that subsequent sales will have fees deducted from my bank account, since there is nothing in Available Funds to cover them, because i just had a payout.  So every week, for the first few sales after a Tuesday, the fees wil come out of my bank account each time there is a sale, until enough tranasactions have been processed to bring my Available Funds up to the level they can cover fees for new sales.

Is that how it works?  Or is it sensible and they deduct the fees AFTER the transaction is processed......which is the way any rational person would do it.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I agree that it is very odd the way that they handle holds but that doesn't indicate the way they handle other transactions.  When they process your transaction they deduct the fees immediately, before the transaction is processed so you don't even see them in your pending fees.

eBay shipping labels are taken out later..a couple of days I think but I've found that since I do weekly payouts, there has been enough pending funds to pay for those.  I'm not sure what they are doing with store fees right now,

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I agree that it is very odd the way that they handle holds but that doesn't indicate the way they handle other transactions.  When they process your transaction they deduct the fees immediately, before the transaction is processed so you don't even see them in your pending fees.

eBay shipping labels are taken out later..a couple of days I think but I've found that since I do weekly payouts, there has been enough pending funds to pay for those.  I'm not sure what they are doing with store fees right now,

@fergua3 

Listing upgrades/promoted listing fees/over the limit listing charges are also pulled out separately. Either from available funds or the bank account attached. Even speaking to agents about this is the past they were hazy on the subject. Originally those extra fees along with shipping were to be added to the month end invoice. That was very short lived. My month end store fees are billed/pulled the 16th like clockwork.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

ah i see, so essentially they are taking their fees AFTER they process the payment, since you don't have to pay them up front out of Available Funds.  So when the payment is processed, ebay takes their cut and puts the rest in your Available Funds.   Great.  Common sense from Ebay, very refresing.

Other than the above concern and the way chargebacks are handled, my experience with MP has not been as bad as feared.   It's still clunky and more effort to administrate and double check but it's better than i expected.

But they really need to start taking buyer refunds from the on hold money or stop putting money on hold when a case (er 'request') is opened.  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Just to be clear, as I understand it from my CSR discussion:

Monthly Store fees, Listing upgrades/promoted listing fees etc  are taken out of the available funds as they are incurred. 

If there is insufficient available funds, they are accumulated until the month end.

What happens, ALL the time for me because I have a lot of listing upgrades is my account goes into a negative balance until enough sales happen to offset it.

If I had no sales, that amount would continue to grow until the monthend then the total would be taken from the bank account in one amount assuming again that no sales and available funds became available in the meantime.

I specifically asked this because I have somewhere around 1,500 8c listing fee (2nd category) upgrades every month....and I do not want 1,500 8c transactions individually sent to my bank account. The CSR was clear that it does not work that way for the store fees, listing upgrades type charges.

I don't think it works the same way for refunds, INRs etc, but I have not yet had one happen without available funds to match it. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply