Where do you create listings? .. being asked when signing up for MP

What does this question mean and what are the implications.  The FAQs are not very useful, doesn't really explain what it means and what am I gaining with one over the other option.

Is this related to Cross Border Trading?

https://pages.ebay.ca/useragreement/globalCBT/globalCBTAgreement.html

where do you create listings question.png .png

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

FWIW, I think you're probably correct that the question has to do with cross border trading.

When I initially registered my DOTca account with MP I was not asked which site(s) I listed on, they assumed I listed no where else but DOTca and activated the account. However, the moment my first DOTcom transaction occured that attitude changed, at that point MP referencing cross border trading regulatory requirements placed the funds on hold until I updated my account with further confirmation of my identity.

There are definitely different application "tracks" dependent on whether the account trades exclusively from the registrant's domestic site or not. Trading on international sites requires a more rigorous application process, how much so seems to depend on various "risk" factors that MP does not disclose. If the expectation is that the account will be listing on an international site, ie: DOTcom, I would disclose that by answering questions like this appropriately ... there's nothing to be gained by fudging the answer.

@itolduandso If you are registered with a Canadian address and your account really is registered as a DOTcom account, and your screenshot of what seems to be a DOTcom application question indicates that it is, I personally would not proceed any further with this application process ... imo it's doomed to fail.  Before proceeding further I think it would be prudent to first phone regular eBay customer service and see if they can somehow transfer your account over to DOTca. As far as I know that can be done, and will be necessary before the account can be successfully transferred into MP.   

Canadian residents must have their eBay accounts registered with DOTca and update their account details while logged on to DOTca to successfully enter MP.  Changing your country of registration will not impact your ability to list on DOTcom or manage day-to-day buusiness on DOTcom. Good luck getting your application process completed.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I agree with the other poster, it looks like you are trying to sign up on .com, not .ca. Have you tried signing up on .ca?

If that is .ca and you list on both .ca an .com, you would choose the second option.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I third what @kawartha-ephemera posted.  This page you ran into appears to be tailored to American sellers using the .com site.  (The reference to the Global Shipping Program in the FAQs is a flag for me.)

The FAQs state that you don't need to go through this step now, so don't.  The advice to get in touch with eBay Customer Service about transferring your account info from .com to .ca--if it applies to you--is excellent.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Among other reasons to register with dotCA, our fees are slightly lower and we qualify for Global Top Rated status (with its tiny discounts) which is easier to achieve than the US TRS, which demands a very high level of tracked shipping.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I have not completed that specific question, it says I can do that later, so I skipped that.

Why I am on .COM?

But the whole point registing on .COM is to get USD payouts.   Are you saying you are getting USD payout and you are still registered on .CA?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Yes.

We can sell on any site worldwide from dotCA registration.

When we sell on dotCOM our prices are in USD.

When we are paid one of two things can happen.

• We have our payments set up with a Canadian bank in Canadian dollars
  • We have our payments set up with a Canadian bank in US dollars.

If the first, our USD payment is converted to Canadian dollars (there is a fee) and deposited in Canadian dollars.

If the second our USD payment is deposited to our Canadian bank in USdollars.  (If we want to use them in Canada later there may be fees including currency exchange fees).

But.

Unless you already have a US address and a US bank, you can't register on dotCOM.

Welcome to dotCA.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

By the way, from time to time you will want to use Calculated Shipping because the item you are selling is bulky and shippers will charge you based not only on dimensions and weight, but also on destination.

You will want to use Canada Post for those shipping rates.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1  *

So you list those items on dotCA.

When your US buyer sees the listing in Search, he sees your price in USD. When he opens the listing, he sees the price in USD and in loonies. 

But he pays in USD which is converted to loonies when you receive the payment.

This is more complicated to explain than it is to do.

• Take a look at my listings. You may notice that some have "logical" prices  like $9.99 and some will have weird ones like $12.07. Those weird ones were not listed on the site you are viewing.

Shipping is the hardest part of selling online.

*Fill in different weights, dimensions and zipcodes to see those differences. 90210 is popular and so is 37188.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

OK so now I am completely confused and have a total chaos.  I have earlier in the morning completed the registration for MP on .COM website with my Canadian bank info. My Address in Canadian. I don't remmeber which site I was originally regisstered on. But I am subsribed to the US starter store at 5 dollar which is not available on .CA. (OK I was told already to get off that starter store plan and I will, I am just brining it up for illustration of the mess).

Before switch to MP I could list on .CA or .COM wherever I liked.

My sales, fees, returns etc was all accounted in USD though.

I don't know what to think of this now. Anyways, the MP application with bank details (Tangerine Canadian USD savings account) was submitted, accepted and it's pending decission. 

And the fact you are on.CA and you can connect USD account is a novelty to me.  I was under impression that all .CA accounts have CAD currency and will need to have CAD currency in the future and only the Canadian sellers with USD currency have the exception being able to have USD account.

Maybe I am .CA after all. Or maybe I am some special case. Who knows......................

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Was your registration a brand new ID?

If so, you can abandon it at this point and start over with yet another ID.

If this one does work (presuming this is the account you have been talking about) keep it as a buying and/or posting ID. We are allowed to have several IDs. I have seven with four actively selling.

Or list a few very cheap items that you don't mind losing and experiment.

If it does work with a Canadian registering a US account, something that has been almost impossible for decades, great! 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I doubt the bank account will be accepted.  You require a US$ chequing account and the "Tangerine Canadian USD savings account" is not a chequing account so don't expect happiness there.

As @reallynicestamps siad, if this is a new registration you may want to just set up a new .ca ID.  Registering on .com is likely to cause grief.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@musicyouneed 

Oh oh ... I'm afraid this process has gone off- track. Before proceeding any further ... have you read this? 

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/usd-payouts.html

If not, read every word including the FAQs, it is important to remember the information is written from the point of view of a Canadian seller listing on DOTca. 

Some other observations based on your commentary;

1.  To be honest, I don't know how in the world you managed to even reach the activation stage using the DOTcom application, surely MP raised red flags when you were asked to confirm your Canadian address?

2. In regards to this statement ...

"Anyways, the MP application with bank details (Tangerine Canadian USD savings account) was submitted, accepted and it's pending decission." It is extremely doubtful that account is going to be approved,  MP will only approve CHEQUING accounts.

3. And this quote: "But I am subsribed to the US starter store at 5 dollar which is not available on .CA. (OK I was told already to get off that starter store plan and I will, I am just brining it up for illustration of the mess).

Before switch to MP I could list on .CA or .COM wherever I liked". It is important to understand a few concepts here.

a. A Canadian seller may, if they wish, purchase a DOTcom store subscription. This was true before MP, and continues so after entering MP. 

b.  A Canadian seller may if they wish create listings on DOTca, DOTcom, DOTco.uk, DOT.de or any other ebay site worldwide. This was true before MP and continues to be true after entering MP. Whether a seller chooses Payouts in $CAD or $USD does NOT preclude that seller from listing wherever they prefer to list ... list on as many sites as you like.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

You've been given good advice to read the information about MP.   ( I think that @kawartha-ephemera meant that link to you for you, not for musicyouneed.)

I could be wrong but the fact that you were able to sign up for MP with a Canadian bank and without giving a social security number or an ITIN suggests to me that you were signing up on .ca which is what you are supposed to do.  However, as others have said, that account is unlikely to work since it is a savings acount, not a chequing account.  

As others also mentioned a Canadian registered on .ca can still list on both sites, have a .com or a .ca store and sign up for MP with either a $C bank account or a  $US bank account at a Canadian bank.  I assumed that you were registered on .ca and that you had opened the store on .com because a starter store wasn't available on this site but if you have been paying all fees in $US my assumption might be wrong.  Or perhaps you indicated at one point that you wanted to be billed in $US?   

At this point, it might be best to try and contact the managed payment people by going to one of the managed payment help pages and scrolling down...there should be an option for them to call you there. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Whoops .... you're right pj , my post was meant for @itolduandso .... guess I've been reading too many of these MP posts.  My apologies go out to musicyouneed.

For the same reasons, I also thought maybe itolduandso started with DOTcom and was redirected mid-stream to the DOTca application flow.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera 

@itolduandso 

Now that non-Store sellers have an automatic 250 FREE Listings every month, a starter store is really an unnecessary expense.

You don't need a Store subscription to sell on eBay.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Both https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin/dlp and https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/dlp  are working now and were working before, I didn't see the difference when I tried. It asked for SIN but I didn't fill in, it didn't complain.

I can't own more than 1 active account. Every time I open new account it is shut down by ebay and they site security reasons. At one point they told me to find another venue, for no reason really only because they didn't like me opening new account again. 

The selling account is from 2003 and it was always in USD dollars pay out.  I tried to open a new account and with 24 hours it was suspended. Appeal and then 6 hours later again suspended. Opened a new account again and it was suspended in 12 hours later.

No reasons being given other than security has flagged my account being a risk.  It's all automated nowadays. The support people are poorly paid people in the Philipines who don't really have a clue and no authority.  When I called them they say they don't have access to the profile about reasons why my accounts are being shut down.

The only real people you get to talk to as the Managed Payments people but once this is over all is going to be automated through bots.

This account I am using now is not active for selling. If I turn it on for selling it will be shut down as well.  I tried that trick already.

I will call Managed Payments to check on status, in the worst case they don't accept Tangerine I'll go to open TD USD account (Daily checking or Borderless) and to  make sure I don't mess with this account because if things don't work out for some reason I can kiss goodbye selling here.

See, there isn't much technical difference between Savings and Checking account if the Savings account offers EFT. And that's what ebay needs. Both Tangerine and EQ Bank offer EFT with checking. None other bank in Canada offers this for personal accounts, not even for CAD.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

EFT-- Electronic Funds Transfer.

Is this different from e-transfer because a lot of my private customers use that nowadays with no problems?

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

eTransfer is different from EFT. 

eTransfer - by email or phone number (similar to how Paypal works) it's run by the consortium https://www.interac.ca/en/consumers/products/interac-e-transfer/ in response to raise of Paypal. eTransfer can only tdo CAD.

EFT is similar to ACH in US but EFT but it's a separate system from ACH. EFT is how companies do direct deposits and direct authorised debits / witdrawals from the account.  If you work for an employeer in Canada, the salary would be deposited either by cheque (the old way) or via EFT.

https://gocardless.com/guides/pad/introducing-pads/

But that's only part of the story. There is a difference between EFT push (I setup regular payment for a bill) or EFT pull (I don't know the amount, like ebay, that is witdrawing the money and that's what ebay is calling PAD, preauthorized debit, so they can draw any amount they like from your account).

The issue with the later is obviously the risk of NSF charge because savings accounts do not offer overdraft.

Some banks offer bills payments (preauthorized debits) on Savings accounts such as Alterna Bank (their savings account is only CAD, no USD).

EQ bank doesn't allow bill payments on the USD Savings. I called Tangerine and they said the same thing.  It's the decision of the bank whether they do allow EFT pull payment on the account or not.

Both Tangerine and EQ allow both pull and push payments through EFT but they specifically only allow the depositary institutions to be the preauthorised parties (that is you can connect other Canadian bank account numbers to Tangerine and EQ to do pull and push transactions).

Today I received confirmed Tangerine account by Ebay but they asking me to verify the account by doing 2 micro transfers.  I am confident the tranfers will be fine.  However, given that I am not so sure if the direct debit would work with Tangerine and I am running out of time here (I am required to register by June 15), I will need to bite the bulled and go with the safest option and register for a regular TD USD checking account.

If I decide to pay the fees by USD credit card to ebay, so the direct debit is really only for returns and refunds, isn't it?

I'm trying to game the system to reduce the number of banks I am dealing with but I guess I don't have a choice and go with the regular USD checking.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Confirmed today with support, my account is .COM,  my payout is still USD, my address is Canadian and the MP registration form shows bank details seem accepted and asked me to do micropayments to verify the account.  I called support and also verify by chat to confirm what is needed to move from .COM to .CA.  The support had no clue there is difference between moving from .COM to .CA and switching currency from USD to CAD.  I had to explain them what's the difference.  One of the support persons didn't accept my explanation and still kept on telling me I needed to go to that link to change currency and if I changed .COM to .CA my currency would change automatically to CAD.  The other support person said "let me check... " and then came back confirmed I can change from .COM to .CA any time now or in the future by calling the support on the phone WHILE still being able to keep the USD as payout currency.

I am going to let the .COM and .CA issue sleep for now because it's obvious I am getting myself into some trouble.

With the unfortunate state of affairs and not being allowed to open another ebay account I don't want to mess things up.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

By the way ..  one more thing not clear to me .... Do NEW sellers who register on .CA site  today or sometime in the future, still have the ability to select the USD or CAD payout currency upon registration of the new account?  Or are new sellers going to be automatically on CAD only?

Message 20 of 21
latest reply