Why a refunded undelivered item (lost in mail) be considered late delivery?

arteis
Community Member

It seems that more and more transaction problems count as "late delivery".

For example 2 of the item I've sold never arrived so I've refunded the buyers.

But these transactions are also showing in the "late shipment" report?

It's probably because of the "Did you received the item before date" question, they answer no which is obvious as the item never arrived! The system could simply not count refunded undelivered item as "late shipped" even when the answer to the question is no.

Also items that are late arrival are considered late shipped which is a LIE!

I can ship 5 minutes after sale and the item can still arrived late but you can't say it was shipped late.

I do not use tracking services (it cost more than the value of the items) so 2-3% of my item never arrived and I refund them no problem, I still save more on shipping. But the standard needed to keep the top-seller rating is lower than the standard delivered by Canada-Post.

I do not get why item I ship on Monday have 50% more chance to get dinged for "late shipment".

I am discouraged as I am responsible for something I have no control on.

Keven Noel

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: Why a refunded undelivered item (lost in mail) be considered late delivery?

tyler@ebay   I very much appreciate your returning here to clarify this issue.  I think it's very important for Canadian sellers to know exactly where they stand.  I misspoke earlier when I referred to two "defects" for the same transaction, I'd forgotten that a seller refund to close a case is no longer counted as such (I haven't had to make a full refund in ages).   

It seems the OP's concern was that he resolved the 2 lost shipments by refunding, but still got "dinged" for 2 late shipments (presumably because the buyers answered "No" to the on-time delivery question).  He said: 

"For example 2 of the item I've sold never arrived so I've refunded the buyers.

But these transactions are also showing in the "late shipment" report?"

You've explained why this is so, although not exactly why eBay believes this is fair to sellers.  I still feel that eBay should not permit a buyer whose issue has been resolved with a full refund to give an opinion on late delivery. 

To my mind, once the customer's loss has been fully satisfied, that should be the end of it.  It seems like excessive punishment that having done the right thing, the seller can then get a late shipment mark on his performance tally.  This after having lost the item and also paid out its value to the buyer (a double loss in itself).  That's my own view of it, and I think the crux of the OP's complaint.  Oh well, now we know it wasn't a glitch.  Any chance someone can put in a good word for us Canadian sellers and change that?  As eBay did for free shipping vs. shipping cost DSR?  May I make a formal ask to the Suggestion Box please? 🙂

Thank you also for clarifying the "double jeopardy" possible in one transaction.  My recall of this issue was unclear.  

Message 41 of 72
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

tyler@ebay   I very much appreciate your returning here to clarify this issue.  I think it's very important for Canadian sellers to know exactly where they stand.  I misspoke earlier when I referred to two "defects" for the same transaction, I'd forgotten that a seller refund to close a case is no longer counted as such (I haven't had to make a full refund in ages).   

It seems the OP's concern was that he resolved the 2 lost shipments by refunding, but still got "dinged" for 2 late shipments (presumably because the buyers answered "No" to the on-time delivery question).  He said: 

"For example 2 of the item I've sold never arrived so I've refunded the buyers.

But these transactions are also showing in the "late shipment" report?"

You've explained why this is so, although not exactly why eBay believes this is fair to sellers.  I still feel that eBay should not permit a buyer whose issue has been resolved with a full refund to give an opinion on late delivery. 

To my mind, once the customer's loss has been fully satisfied, that should be the end of it.  It seems like excessive punishment that having done the right thing, the seller can then get a late shipment mark on his performance tally.  This after having lost the item and also paid out its value to the buyer (a double loss in itself).  That's my own view of it, and I think the crux of the OP's complaint.  Oh well, now we know it wasn't a glitch.  Any chance someone can put in a good word for us Canadian sellers and change that?  As eBay did for free shipping vs. shipping cost DSR?  May I make a formal ask to the Suggestion Box please? 🙂

Thank you also for clarifying the "double jeopardy" possible in one transaction.  My recall of this issue was unclear.  

How can something possibly arrive late if it is never received?

Message 42 of 72
latest reply

To the best of my recollection, the 'question' is as follows:

Did this (whatever) arrive by (date)?

If it never arrives, obviously the truthful answer to that question is 'no'. 

Message 43 of 72
latest reply

To my mind, once the customer's loss has been fully satisfied, that should be the end of it. 

If that was the case then when an item is out of stock, a seller could mark an item as shipped, refund the buyer when they open an inr and avoid getting an out of stock defect and a late shipment mark.  

Message 44 of 72
latest reply

Astute observation.
Message 45 of 72
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

To my mind, once the customer's loss has been fully satisfied, that should be the end of it. 

If that was the case then when an item is out of stock, a seller could mark an item as shipped, refund the buyer when they open an inr and avoid getting an out of stock defect and a late shipment mark.  

I'm sorry, but I don't see this as analogous.  The scenario you describe is not what I would call fair and honest dealing by the seller for something that is out of his/her control, which is the point I was trying to make -- the OP did the right thing by the buyer yet still got "dinged" by eBay.  In fact, it wouldn't be a stretch to call the behaviour you describe as outright fraud. 

Besides, someone who is willing to do this to make a sale is unlikely to be worried about a late shipment mark, it's the defect he'd be trying to avoid.   Our OP didn't have a defect to be worried about once he properly refunded the buyers, but he got a black mark on his record (2 actually) anyway.  I think I'd be rather upset about that too.  

Message 46 of 72
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

To the best of my recollection, the 'question' is as follows:

Did this (whatever) arrive by (date)?

If it never arrives, obviously the truthful answer to that question is 'no'. 

I think you're still missing the point of the OP's complaint.  It isn't how the "No" (and hence the late delivery mark) came about, or why "No" wasn't a truthful answer from the buyer's viewpoint (it was), but why eBay even presents this question to the buyer in the first place once a full refund has been made for a non-delivery.   In other words, why does eBay believe this is fair to sellers?  I didn't see anything in 'tyler's' response that clearly explained the rationale.  

Put another way, you sell an item that goes missing in the mails, now you've lost the item and had to refund whatever you sold it for.   And you get a black mark on your record on top of it when the buyer answers "No" to the on-time delivery question.  That seems to me to be overkill on eBay's part for the mere infraction by the seller of choosing non-tracked delivery.  Unless eBay's rationale is indeed to force sellers who simply can't afford to use tracking for most shipments out of business here.  Then it makes sense. 

As I said earlier, eBay managed to re-programme its site to "blank out" a buyer's ability to leave a DSR opinion if the transaction involved free shipping.   So I doubt there's an actual technical reason why the on-time question couldn't be made unavailable to a buyer who has received a full refund in the usual course.   After all, eBay has made refunds no longer defect-generating if properly dealt with by sellers.  Why not complete the circle on sellers' behalf and make the whole transaction acceptable?  Again, my suggestion to eBay if anyone is listening and cares to look into it. 

Message 47 of 72
latest reply

See Message 43. The question is straight-forward and can only be answered with 'yes' or 'no' with 'no' being the only actual answer you can give to a case where the item you bought did not arrive. 

Message 48 of 72
latest reply

"I think you're still missing the point of the OP's complaint. "

I think you're still missing the point of the reason ebay has established it in this manner.

Anyhow, the OP is long-gone from the thread. I keep saying I'm not coming back either yet somehow I still do.

Bye.

Message 49 of 72
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

I think you're still missing the point of the reason ebay has established it in this manner.

That is the point though, and I think this is probably the first time many of us have thought about this issue, so it's an interesting topic.  EBay really hasn't given a reasonable justification for leaving things as they are in this respect. 

As a seller who cannot afford tracking on most sales, I'd really like to get a clear and cogent justification from eBay about why they feel it's fair to allow a seller to do the honest thing and refund in full, cheerfully, then permit the buyer to leave an opinion about late delivery.  To my mind anyway, "late delivery" assumes the buyer actually received the item, albeit not on time.  

Message 50 of 72
latest reply

Incidentally, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of "lost" or "non-delivered" items for which honest sellers refund buyers (in order to avoid defects), actually do turn up eventually.   Which means the buyer has been reimbursed in full and then ends up with the item.  Few buyers will think to return the refund, or care to, once they've got it.  Which makes the "late shipment" mark seem even more unfair. 

This happened to me in January in fact*.  For some reason, Canada Post took 5 weeks to deliver an item sent by letter mail to Manitoba.  After the buyer had patiently waited 3 weeks, I simply refunded him in full (the old-fashioned, friendly way, bypassing eBay's claim system), and the item later turned up.  In this case I told him to keep the refund in exchange for not leaving any FB (i.e. not answering the on-time question). 

It was a relatively low value sale, so my spotless eBay record and the hope of creating a return customer were more important to me in this instance than insisting the buyer return the money.   However, it did irk me that I felt compelled to make this deal with the buyer in order to avoid a late shipment mark after I'd already refunded in full. 

*When I said earlier that it had been ages since I'd had to refund in full, I was thinking of refunds done through the eBay INR system.  I'd forgotten about this "workaround" refund. 

Message 51 of 72
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

See Message 43. The question is straight-forward and can only be answered with 'yes' or 'no' with 'no' being the only actual answer you can give to a case where the item you bought did not arrive. 

A decent seller or scammer, as the case may be, has a 3rd choice.

Just don't answer the question!!!!!!~!

Message 52 of 72
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't see this as analogous.  The scenario you describe is not what I would call fair and honest dealing by the seller for something that is out of his/her control, which is the point I was trying to make -- the OP did the right thing by the buyer yet still got "dinged" by eBay.  In fact, it wouldn't be a stretch to call the behaviour you describe as outright fraud.

]

Besides, someone who is willing to do this to make a sale is unlikely to be worried about a late shipment mark, it's the defect he'd be trying to avoid.   Our OP didn't have a defect to be worried about once he properly refunded the buyers, but he got a black mark on his record (2 actually) anyway.  I think I'd be rather upset about that too.  

First, the seller got a late shipment ding, there is no defect or ding or black mark for an inr so I don't know why you keep mentioning 2 defects/ 2 black marks etc.  Second, you are missing the point I was making. I am not saying that it would be right for a seller to pretend to send an item to avoid an oos defect and I wasn't saying that this seller was trying to avoid a defect. I was giving an example of how a dishonest seller could avoid an oos defect and they could also avoid a late shipment ding if ebay did what you suggested and didn't give late shipments to a seller that refunded for a missing item. It would be a loophole.

Also...in most cases, I really don't see this as being a big problem...of course it would be annoying to the seller who received the late shipment in this situation but I think that any late shipment is annoying since for the most part, delivery isn't in our control once we mail the item.  

You said in another post:

"As a seller who cannot afford tracking on most sales, I'd really like to get a clear and cogent justification from eBay about why they feel it's fair to allow a seller to do the honest thing and refund in full, cheerfully, then permit the buyer to leave an opinion about late delivery." 

Regardless of whether you think something is fair or not, the rules regarding late shipments are fairly clear so ebay doesn't have to explain how or if this particular situation is 'fair'   I really think that in this case, this is much ado about  nothing. It isn't something that happens often so ebay isn't going to make a special rule about it just for Canadians because tracking is more expensive.  To be honest, I haven't seen proof that the late shipment dings have affected Canadian sellers as much as you seem to suggest they do.  Perhaps there are sellers that it has affected but as far as I know,  few if any sellers here are losing their trs status because they are not using tracking.   I actually see more problems on the US boards with sellers losing their trs status because they did use tracking and their packages weren't scanned or delivered on time. 

Message 53 of 72
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

A decent seller or scammer, as the case may be, has a 3rd choice.

Just don't answer the question!!!!!!~!

You must mean buyer since the seller isn't the one being asked the question. In an ideal world the buyer wouldn't ever answer the question since the actually delivery time really isn't in the sellers control but for the most part, buyers don't have a clue how that works. They are simply answering a question, they don't know why they are being asked or if there are any consequences for the seller.

Message 54 of 72
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

First, the seller got a late shipment ding, there is no defect or ding or black mark for an inr so I don't know why you keep mentioning 2 defects/ 2 black marks etc.  Second, you are missing the point I was making. I am not saying that it would be right for a seller to pretend to send an item to avoid an oos defect and I wasn't saying that this seller was trying to avoid a defect. I was giving an example of how a dishonest seller could avoid an oos defect and they could also avoid a late shipment ding if ebay did what you suggested and didn't give late shipments to a seller that refunded for a missing item. It would be a loophole.

Also...in most cases, I really don't see this as being a big problem...of course it would be annoying to the seller who received the late shipment in this situation but I think that any late shipment is annoying since for the most part, delivery isn't in our control once we mail the item.  

Regardless of whether you think something is fair or not, the rules regarding late shipments are fairly clear so ebay doesn't have to explain how or if this particular situation is 'fair'   I really think that in this case, this is much ado about  nothing. It isn't something that happens often so ebay isn't going to make a special rule about it just for Canadians because tracking is more expensive.  To be honest, I haven't seen proof that the late shipment dings have affected Canadian sellers as much as you seem to suggest they do.  

I think you're misunderstanding the OP's original post.  He got 2 "late delivery" marks (indeed, not defects) because he had refunded 2 transactions.  

As for the example you gave of the seller attempting to bypass defects and not getting a late delivery mark, it's hardly worth splitting hairs over.  The vast majority of sellers are not going to be fraudsters and scammers on eBay these days; there are far too many other buyer protections in place to make that a successful strategy anymore.  It would be a small concession -- especially to Canadian sellers -- for eBay to give the majority, who are honest sellers, a break from double jeopardy when they do the right thing for buyers. 

Lastly, although you may be right that this is a minor problem for many sellers, for smaller sellers (especially Canadians) who are at the whim of Canada Post, every demerit from eBay is significant, especially when it isn't fairly earned.  An undeserved demerit is one that shouldn't have been given out in the first place.  As I said earlier, most of these parcels probably do eventually show up at the buyer's door, so a seller in this position has had enough of a loss without receiving a back-handed, after-the-fact slap thanks to eBay's permitting the buyer an "opinion" on late delivery.  I still maintain that late delivery assumes the buyer received the parcel and that it should accordingly be superseded by a resolved INR refund.  

All of which doesn't mean I think eBay will ever budge on this issue.   

And as hopeless as it may seem, I do think we have a right to ask how eBay justifies this.  We are, after all their paying customers.   I don't think any of us can know the extent or real impact, so looking for "proof" of that effect is pointless.   One thing is certain though -- as non-tracked shipping gets more expensive, buyers are quite rightly going to expect prompt service for their money, so refunds for claims of non-delivery are only going to increase, especially if Canada Post doesn't step up its game (there were a lot of complaints this January/February about extremely slow or delayed deliveries of non-tracked items).  So any of us who are small enough to care about each late delivery mark (and unable to afford to ship mostly with tracking) should be concerned. 

Message 55 of 72
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

In an ideal world the buyer wouldn't ever answer the question since the actually delivery time really isn't in the sellers control but for the most part, buyers don't have a clue how that works. They are simply answering a question, they don't know why they are being asked or if there are any consequences for the seller.

Yes, exactly.  You may remember when this was first introduced, many of us asked that eBay at least add a third option "Don't recall/don't know", to the on-time delivery question.  They wouldn't even do that, presumably on the basis that it would make the data meaningless if too many buyers said they couldn't remember.  

Not that it matters at all now, but my belief was that the whole idea of eBay using this concept to judge part of seller performance was wrong, at least for anyone other than U.S. or Chinese sellers who have reasonably priced tracking available to them.  Will it ultimately have the effect of pushing just about everyone else off eBay?  Especially anyone selling less costly items for which tracking can't be justified?  

Message 56 of 72
latest reply

This is not a big deal to some and a very big deal to others. Similarly taking my pictures to use in the eBay catalog...no big deal to me...a big deal to some others. The potential end to Turbolister...a big deal to me...not to some others.

There are many for whom having to use tracking would be the end of their eBay sales. People selling not expensive stamps is an example. Stamp $0.99 shipping $12.00 to Canada $18.00 to U.S. and who knows how much to say India just won't fly. 

Punishing sellers for the only viable choice is grossly unfair.

The policies are what they are...but complaining enough might eventually lead to change.

Complain here...complain whenever an eBay survey comes up. Nothing will change tomorrow but complaints have lead to changes in the past. Let eBay know you are not a happy customer.

Message 57 of 72
latest reply

Rose, I could not agree more with you. This policy may be fine in the US, but does not, and should not apply to sellers in Canada. A true case of one size does not fit all.

ebay is an US company that ships nothing, and does not care one iota about the cost of shipping in Canada. 

What says it all, is that their competitor, who does ship in Canada, and has higher standards for their sellers to achieve, does not yet require their sellers to use tracking for any or all of their sales.

What I find hilarious, is ebay wanting the Canadian government to raise the threshold amount for taxes and/or duty for all the US sellers benefit. Do they care about Canadian sellers? Not one bit!

Dishonest Canadian sellers using the "loophole" would be nailed for many other reasons, it would not save them.

Message 58 of 72
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

What I find hilarious, is ebay wanting the Canadian government to raise the threshold amount for taxes and/or duty for all the US sellers benefit. Do they care about Canadian sellers? Not one bit!

Ah, yes, that de minimus  trial balloon eBay floated a while ago.  A lot of people seemed to misunderstand the effect that would have.  There is a good reason Canada has had a nominal $20 ceiling for many, many years.  

For my part, I believe eBay was pushing the idea because the GSP proved to be such a thorough disaster for U.S. sellers selling into Canada, and deeply resented here.  How to get around that problem without dropping the GSP (which eBay is likely earning some sort of fees from via Pitney-Bowes)?  Press the Canadian government to raise the personal import threshold, and sell it as a boon to Canadian eBayers.  They must think that Canadians and our government are utterly stupid.  None of us should fall for that guff.  I do have confidence that our government is not so naive or weak as to be taken in by eBay's ploy.   

Sorry, off topic.  😮

Message 59 of 72
latest reply

Please forgive me for dredging this topic up, the term I was thinking of that fits this policy is,

"adding insult to injury"

Message 60 of 72
latest reply