any free catagories

are there any categories to list for free?  seems crazy paying to start 99 cent auctions for a 30 cent fee then 10 cents on the sale 30 cents on 3.00 s/h and 42 cents plus or minus to paypal. hey where's the profit for the seller?? wasn't like that 10 years ago well at least I don't recall such scalping of a sale. great if an item goes crazy but god forbid the item gets only a bid or two. every listing starting at under a buck should always be free ( the seller takes all he risk ) come on eBay lets try being reasonable not just on special occasions when it suits eBay but all the time. some of us sell for a living not just for the fun. what say my fellow eBayers??

concerned about the future of eBay??

been with eBay going on  years now and haven't seen a lot of changes to benefit a seller for quite some time now

enlighten me please

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: any free catagories

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't you get 50 monthly free listings on eBay.ca and also another 50 monthly free listings on eBay.com?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

pierrelebel has a pretty accurate resume of how the fees for auction, fixed price, store and galley listings have gone down over the past two decades.

Your primary errors are:

Listing for 99 cents. It makes no sense to offer something at a price that will not cover your selling fees, never mind pay you at least minimum wage for your time.

Listing at auction. There is a reason why most listings in the current decade are Fixed Price. The contemporary buyer prefers instant gratification over the supposed thrill of losing an auction after days of anticipation.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Here is the announcement about which categories have free auctions or/and free fixed price listings.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2014/06/01/7618/

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

haven't seen a lot of changes to benefit a seller for quite some time now

In days of old

(1) The first photo was free.... each additional photo in a listing  cost money.

(2) We used to have to pay for all listings......  now we have free listings... differing in relation to have a a store level or not...

(3)  Auctions were promoted to the exclusion of a store.....A search of store inventory was separate form auction listings....  Now everything shows together in one search.

(4)  All listings used to be the same listing fee and same FVF... Now listing fees and FVF vary  among categories.

(5) Books have a special fee,   5 cents per 30 days,  whether the seller has a store or not.

(6) The fee for an anchor store has been reduced.

And there are more adjustments... all to the benefit of the seller

Admittedly the standards for stay a top seller on eBay has changed..... Some people measure up easily... while others do not.....  Some sellers learn to live with these changes... others just cannot 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

There are many instances that eBay will say

Do this?

However, it is more important to be your own person... and learn what to do and be successful.

99 cent auctions  are suicide.....

Auctions in certain categories are suicide...

The most successful auction starts at a price one would accept with one bid.

99 cent auctions with free shipping  is like being in front of a firing squad  with one shooter..... with a machine gun loaded to the absolute.    They do not work.

Success with auctions  depends more on the starting price than any other strategy.

There are people who sell very selectively at auction... and are very successful... because they do what allows them to make them make a very, very good profit...

and remember... auctions are not appropriate for all categories on eBay...

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I am a power seller and maintain 100 percent or **bleep** close to it for 15 years so you know what I hearfrom the kiss asses....blah...blah... and more blah...they are surely no Albert Einsteins...and I'm just trying to cope and to vent a little...
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Agree. I do take advantage of eBay's 100 freebies. I suppose it's just a different time. Oh for the days when 85 or 90 percent of listings ended with bids and a favourable exchange rate and much lower shipping costs and less competition...those were the days... every day was like CHRISTMAS DAY....oh and Merry Christmas to one and all....
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Today xe.com shows the loonie at 87.6 cents US.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=CAD&To=USD

About where we were in 'the good old days'.

I think I have found a corollary to Godwin's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

The less accurate a statement is, the more likely the writer is to move to ad hominem attacks when shown to be wrong.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Wow...just checking this old post. Golly gee batman...I was only venting following a very slow period...thankfully things change day to day, week to week, month to month, etc etc Everything is aok hence after almost 16 years I'm still selling though when things slow down I find I personally am buying more...being a dedicated buyer/seller not just a greedy seller like many on ebay. ..thise looking for a quick buck...I am a dedicated collector first and my site does promise great deals, top quality merchandise, fast and friendly service...just like it is supposed to be...I care...and thank you and the Merriest Christmas to all my customers and sellers, present, past, and future...and all the best in the new year and years ahead of us
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

That should read "those looking for a quick buck" . My apologies to those who take the time to read my post. Not that great at the texting...I save the great for my business practices...I promise to improve my texts though.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply