eBay Fedex to US. Any Buyer customs charges?

byto253
Community Member

I have a 2 heavier items to ship to the US and the eBay label price to use and the eBay Fedex label price is pretty good.   But do US buyers get hit with extra customs charges through the eBay label provision of those labels?

Thanks.  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Unlikely a customs charge but possibly a Fedex brokerage charge.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks, I wrote customs but that should have read brokerage charge.  Everything is under $800 so customs is not an issue, the courier brokerage is what I wonder about. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

I have a 2 heavier items to ship to the US and the eBay label price to use and the eBay Fedex label price is pretty good.   But do US buyers get hit with extra customs charges through the eBay label provision of those labels?

Thanks.  

You can look it up on fedex.com (and not any info related to imports into Canada).

It's possible for SOME services but for most there are no brokerage fees (or Duty) if the declared value is under US$800 (about CA$1090).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@byto253 

Fee schedule attached. Most accurate information would be confirming with fedex directly.

https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/ancillary-clearance-service.html

-Lotz

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If you decide not to use Fedex and you have Chit Chats nearby, look into their rates. A recent shipment that was 3KG 25x25x15 was significantly cheaper via Chit Chats (15ish vs 25ish Canada Post Expedited on eBay).

Chit Chats is generally cheaper than eBay Canada Post labels for anything above 2KG.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

In this case, the difference was minimal, and chitchats is a 35 minute drive each way.   I may plan a cross town trip tomorrow and just go chitchats.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Yeah, with Chit Chats you always have to factor in the value of your time and cost of transportation if you don't have a location near somewhere else. 

While I have enjoyed not having to use Chit Chats for most packages due to the Tracked Packet offer, I'm fortunate to have locations in spots where it can usually be close enough to a sunk cost to drop off a package. For a few bucks, I wouldn't bother, but for $10+ it would be worth it to me. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

In the end I shipped with UPS standard through eBay, items of $132US and $88US.  The first has been delivered with no extra fees.  

Nice feedback from the buyer, though the phrase "..ups guy was having a bad day..." made my heart skip.  Thankfully my paranoia packing methods protected everything 😂 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply