Printing Shippo Labels for US/Intl

I'm not sure when this was updated but just noticed today when processing a shipment in Shippo. See below. In the past I have always included 1 copy of the shipment label and 1 copy of the customs invoice for shipments going to the USA. For International it is always best to send minimum 3 copies of both and a copy of the packing slip to speed processing through customs.    Message during processing: Enter customs declaration

Note: You must include one signed original and two copies of a commercial invoice along with your label, unless shipping with USPS. Also, DDP is not an option for USPS shipments. Read more about customs forms and fees in our Help Center.  (DDP = Delivery Duties Paid)

In confirming with Shippo was given the following explanation:

Apologies for the confusion! If you go back to the link I sent you, the information about Canada Post requiring 3 copies of the invoice is included in the second to last paragraph. 

Here's a screenshot: 

Appreciate your feedback. I'll pass it along to our team. 

This is the related link:

Curious to know what procedure everyone else is using for printing Shippo labels and if you've had any feedback from Canadapost? Have processed approx 75 international orders with Shippo  providing 1 copy of each and had no issues to date.  When I spoke to Canadapost last night they said 3 copies "sounds good". Unable to get further clarification due to the holiday today.

-CM

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The ONLY time I include multiple copies for an international shipment is when I send via Xpresspost or Priority. That’s not to say something didn’t change this week.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Yesterday was the first time I saw that or any other message. The barcode displayed on your shipping label that prints off is supposed to make it a entirely paperless transaction but according to Shippo help pages that seems to only applies to Fedex and DHL. If I receive any further updates from Shippo will pass along.

-CM

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

As I read it the key word is  commercial -- if sending by a purely post office service it is not required. So not needed for Small Packet, Tracked Packet, Expedited Parcel, International Parcel.

Just those services like Priority Worldwide where Canada Post hands the package off to FedEx instead of another country's post office.

-..-

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Any items with value  sent internationally requires customs documents along with the label(bill of lading) . How its always been. With anything being mailed by letter service it is possible to avoid that paperwork but you're always taking a chance that an item may be inspected by customs.

-CM

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Ummm- the 'paperwork' is basically on the shipping label.

What it is, the country of origin, and the HS number.

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/trade/cec/index

What have I been doing wrong?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Dennis is saying that 3 copies are for commercial. I've seen that wording before and I've  never printed more than the label which has all the info they need.....no extra copies.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Country of origin is the actual country the item was made in/manufactured not where its being shipped from HS is harmonized product code required for customs to decide on the value if duties and taxes are owed.  Located on the canadapost website at:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

Customs form may look slightly different if you are using Canadapost to prepare your shipment but basically has the same required fields to fill in.  And if the value of your shipment is over $2500 USD(previously was 1650 USD) shipment also requires you include either a EIN number for business or  SSN # for an individual. Without it will delay your shipment.

-CM

For the form its 4 digits plus a dot then 2 digits.

-CM

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

still send small packet everywhere with no invoice at all, the old form semi legible, no hs code, covered in a huge pile of stamps.  No problem at all

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

If your packages are  lower value, due to volume of items being processed shipments have a better chance of sliding through customs but that's not guaranteed. Found in the past, the more i you dot and t's you cross less chance for your item to get held up in customs. Shows you are at least trying. For a by the way, HS code for computer games/ xbox rom's you can use 8523.40 for classification. That classification will also work for a DVD movie.

-CM

Message 10 of 10
latest reply