new to ebay

jusnu2352
Community Member

what is the best advise for new ebay sellers? I just started selling some of my things, but I guess I got stage fright. I cancelled the first two orders that were sold. The first order was sold as soon as I listed it, but I didnt know anything about how to ship the item or if I was doing everything correctly.. also I was afraid of being scammed because the buyer had no previous history like I do.. Right after that, I listed another Item and it again was quick to catch attention. however, this time it was in the form of an offer.. Yet, the offer that was made was the same amount as I listed for.. this was confusing for me, yet I was interested in trying to make the sale again. However, I started to wonder why they would send me an offer asking the same amount that I listed for so I cancelled again. both transactions were cancelled after just a day of having accepting them. The amount of the listings is showing in my sold category, so when will that be removed? What is going to happend to my account because of this situation? Most importantly, how do I prepare for shipment? Should I find boxes that fit all my items and bubble wrap? What is the best way to protect the items from damaging during shipment? Any other advise would help, thank you.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

new to ebay

Okay. You are with friends here.

Cancelling orders is not good, but we should be able to guide you.

The first order was sold as soon as I listed it,

That's exciting, although most new sellers find it takes a while to sell.

Could we get more detail?
Was this the HotTopic doll at $100?

What reason did you give to cancel?

You can cancel with not blowback for only two reasons.

• Problem with address
  • Buyer Request.

Any other gives you a Defect. Which is a Bad Thing.

You were probably right to be cautious of a high value/high fraud item selling to a 0FB member-- but remember you are also a 0FB member.

Are you registered with Managed Payments?

This is how eBay pays you.

You need a chequing account with a Canadian bank.

Then you need to present ID.

Then you are told you have an account.

Has that happened yet?
Side note-- for some stupid reason, eBay allows members to sell without an MP account which can take time, since the MP accounts are very carefully guarded for your protection and for the protection of your buyers and eBay. (Probably mostly the latter, but I digress.  )

but I didnt know anything about how to ship the item

Most sellers use Canada Post.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Bookmark that. You will need it.

And get a Solutions for Small Business account.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page?

There are discounts on some services and allows you to use Expedited Post which is not available to ordinary customers.

Do you have a printer?

You will be able to print labels at home and drop them off in mailboxes, or at the PO counter.

You can also use postage stamps or freight forwarders like chitchatexpress, but we are on eBay101 and those are eBay202.

...I listed another Item and ...it was in the form of an offer.. ...the same amount as I listed for.. this was confusing for me,

Yes.

That was very likely a scam.

..., I started to wonder why they would send me an offer asking the same amount that I listed for so I cancelled again.

Again, what reason did you give?
I would have chosen problem with address.

both transactions were cancelled after just a day of having accepting them.

Now.

Did either buyer actually pay?

If they did, and you cancelled, there may be problems for you.

If they did not, do NOT remind them to pay.

Normally eBay tells them to pay, and they immediately do.

With an accepted Offer, you would be told to send an invoice.

In this case, DON'T.  (Normally you would but I think you are right about a scammer.)

If they don't pay, the transaction would be cancelled by eBay after four days (96hours actually).

There's a lot more to go through, but I would suggest that you use social media to Chat with eBay employees because having two cancellations could end your eBay career abruptly.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

And tell them you are in Canada and may have some special needs.

The phone number does not connect you with an employee but a subcontractor with very little authority. Just don't.

Your post is quite clear, but use some white space to make it even clearer. If you can use a desktop rather than a phone it will be easier.

There may be some other posters along in a minute or in the morning.

And choose the chequing account you want your payments to go to and get started on Managed Payments.

They will ask for ID.  You don't have to give your SIN, I used my passport and DH used his driving license.

Welcome to eBay. Honest, it can be fun...

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

new to ebay

I could type out as much as reallynicestamps did but I’m lazy.
A - eBay offers a free ‘seller school’ in there help pages
B - or if you want to spend a few dollars udemy has eBay courses specific for us Canadians
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

new to ebay

@reallynicestampscovered things very well. A few things to add though:

1. Always know your shipping before listing something. If you get it wrong, it can be a VERY expensive mistake. There's lots of videos on YouTube for how to safely package various things. Remember that Canada Post uses the greater of dimensional weight and actual weight. Most items will go out at dimensional weight. Try packing a few things and get a feel for how large a box you need, etc. Remember that you can also resize boxes if you need to.
  2. If possible, list lower value items to start off. These are much less likely to result in problem buyers and they'll build your reputation. Smaller, lighter, and less breakable items are also ideal until you get a feel for things.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply