According to Ebay.............Is this fair to sellers ????

If as a seller you offer , in writing , to mail item(s) to a buyer using regular UNINSURED airmail shipped at buyer's risk of loss or damage or , the option of paying for registration or other insured trackable options and the buyer chooses the first option , and then claims that the item has not arrived and wants a full refund.......Ebay says that the seller has to take primary responsibility to ensure delivery and , if in doubt , should cover the cost of registration to protect him or herself.

Now, I'm not saying that the buyer is dishonest but , if the buyer is clearly made aware of the available options(s) ,  and still chooses the less safe route......why should the seller be deemed responsible for the buyer's (bad) choice and the failure of the postal system to deliver ????

Is this fair to the seller who has tried his or her best to inform the buyer accordingly ???

I mean why bother !!!

Sure, there is a resolution center. The said buyer puts in a claim and gets his refund and sure , we can appeal the case with an unknown outcome as decision is made by the resolution center people.

Is this not a case of seller is guilty unless they can prove otherwise ?

Am I missing something ?

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: According to Ebay.............Is this fair to sellers ????

If the stamps  are in a parcel and defined as a collectable with $230 value ... then  insurance applies.

Does it not?

If the stamps are paid for and "on the parcel"  things would be different.

I sell books and collectables... Is the shipping of stamps in a parcel using Canada Post different?....

Message 61 of 71
latest reply

Full insurance....As the seller I would paid for the extra insurance  to cover the total value of $230

Buyer pays for shipping of the stamps... but not the insurance...

Message 62 of 71
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To pjcdn:

I am using PayPal Shipping to ship anything including Canada because I am mobility limited with health conditions.   No I haven't lose any packets in Canada because I never ship them without insurance or using light packet.

Yes I do have so many claims from USA and International that they claimed that they never received their packages.  Imagine if I ship them at Light packet, I would be out of so much $$$, plus the items plus costing my reputation, lots of negative feedback that will hurt my reputation and business and DSRs!!  Is it worth it??

It is because of those scammers that I am forced to use mail service with insurance and that is hurting those honest buyers which I am in a no win situtation.

Yes I would love to offer mail service like light packet for photos but am afraid to do that because of those too many scammers. 

I sell lots of celebrities printed from original negatives/transparencies/slides including Elvis photos at another non-store account for $5.00 each at auction-style and would love to be able to sell a lot of them and I knew I can sell a lot more but am afraid to use mail service without insurance to USA and International due to toooooooo many claims of never received them which I had to file the claims with Canada Post all the time.

So what do you suggest?? I am open to hear anything.

Message 63 of 71
latest reply

Hello Cumos55,

$230.00 worth of stamps take up almost no space at all.

They easily fit into a regular sized envelope , and with a stiffener to protect bending , is about the thickness of a greeting card and weighs less than 50 Grams.

The cost of mailing to anywhere is the regular Canada post * Lettermail * rate.

If I add the registered mail cost starting at  $15.25 , it only covers me for up to $60.00 but I get a tracking number.

The next level would be pack bigger and send via Trackable Packet where I get covered up to $100.00 insurance and of course pay more.

After that , Xpresspost where I can fully insure but pay a lot more.

But , I'm looking into other alternatives that were mentioned in this blog.

Actually, I just gave you a long winded answer when the answer to your question is simply Yes, there is no difference in sending stamps as opposed to a book in a parcel except the value and weight issues.

My bad 🙂

Message 64 of 71
latest reply

From Canada Post regarding registration:

Liability Coverage

Liability Coverage for up to $100 is included. Certain exceptions apply.

Canada Post shall have no liability for loss or damage of Registered Mail items containing banknotes, stocks, bonds, coupons or other securities negotiable by the bearer, lottery tickets, travellers’ cheques, coins, jewellery, manufactured and non-manufactured precious metals, precious stones, gold bullion, gold dust or cancelled or uncancelled postage stamps. Indemnity may not be claimed for expenses incurred by the sender in submitting the indemnity claim or for the fees paid for the option.

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGregister-e.asp#1386487 

In other words, do not waste your money to get coverage.  Canada Post will NOT pay.

Message 65 of 71
latest reply

Now for parcels, again from Canada Post website:

EXCLUSIONS AND RESTRICTIONS ON CERTAIN ITEMS

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary and regardless of whether other Items were included in the shipment:

a) Canada Post shall have no liability for loss or damage of shipments containing bank notes, stocks, bonds,

negotiable premium coupons, or other securities or other instruments, whether financial or legal, that are

negotiable by the bearer, coupons (excluding gift certificates), lottery tickets, trading stamps, travellers'

cheques, gold bullion, gold dust, non-manufactured metals, biological specimens, cremated remains,

organs, animals, or any unacceptable Item as defined by the

Non-Mailable Matter Regulations

, as

amended from time to time.

b) The maximum amount payable by Canada Post is:

i $500 for shipments containing coins, jewellery, manufactured and non-manufactured precious

stones and metals, cancelled or uncancelled postage stamps, and reissuing fees (passport fees,

duplicate passport photo cost, immigration visa fees, driver's licence fees, birth certificate fees,

financial instrument cancellation fees, airline tickets reissuing fees and additional postal fees).

ii $100 for shipments containing gift certificates, gift cards or phone cards.

c) Shipments containing glass or ceramic items, items of a perishable nature, or items requiring temperature

controls are subject to coverage for loss but not for damage.

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/terms/Terms_without-e.pdf 

:

Message 66 of 71
latest reply

pierrelebel:

Many thanks for the info.........I did not know that.

I guess I still have a lot to learn but am grateful for people like you.

I guess the only good thing about registered in my case is the tracking number.

I still have to go to insurepost.com and check them out. I know they require a tracking number.

Message 67 of 71
latest reply

Learn something new every day.

Reply 64... Registered Lettermail... in an envelope..... collectable or mint stamps are not covered

Reply 65 ... Shipped in a parcel ... insured ... stamps appear to be covered....

Those stamps worth $230 can be shipped in a parcel and insured for full value...

Stamps can be shipped in a parcel and insured up to a value of $500.

That  special insurance option already mentioned... a special option for the shipping of stamps,  and more specifically if the stamp or stamps are worth over $500.

Not an option everyone would use.

Message 68 of 71
latest reply

It should be noted that breakables are not covered... if they break in transit...

Breakables require a special consideration for packing... That is where volumetric calculations come into effect. when the cost of postage is determined

I have shipped many a breakable ...  a few to Australia/New Zealand  and nothing has broken in transit.  They were large pieces of Chalet art glass 

In the case of a breakable  it is the responsibility of the seller to pack the item carefully..

It can be done

Message 69 of 71
latest reply

collectors52

One of the points in the other post was that you are using small packet for items to the U.S. that could probably be sent with light packet. Small packet does not have insurance now so the risk would be the same.

Yes I do have so many claims from USA and International that they claimed that they never received their packages.  Imagine if I ship them at Light packet, I would be out of so much $$$, plus the items plus costing my reputation, lots of negative feedback that will hurt my reputation and business and DSRs!!  Is it worth it??

To pjcdn:

I am using PayPal Shipping to ship anything including Canada because I am mobility limited with health conditions.   No I haven't lose any packets in Canada because I never ship them without insurance or using light packet.

You are shipping many items to the U.S. with small packet so unless you are buying 3rd party insurance, you are shipping without insurance. That means that light packet carries the same risk but it costs less.

As far as risking your reputation, business and DSR's ....why would those things be any more at risk then if you are shipping with insurance? Either way the buyer does not receive the item and either way you have to compensate the buyer unless you have delivery confirmation. Having insurance or not having it should not affect your customers in any way....you have to handle it..not them.

Perhaps you have more lost packages because of your category but if you ship 50 packages does more than one get "lost"? As I mentioned in my other post you can self insure so that you always have some sort of buffer when items are reported lost. If you have that problem with more than 1 in 50 packages, then that is a huge problem. When you ship, do you let your customers know the item has been shipped and give them an estimated time of arrival? I find that if I do that. they are much more patient while the parcel is in transit.

Yes I would love to offer mail service like light packet for photos but am afraid to do that because of those too many scammers.

Again..the risk is not higher with light packet now that small packet does not have insurance.

Message 70 of 71
latest reply

Oops...I meant to delete the part above the quote. I started writing without using a quote and forgot to delete that part once I decided to  use the quote function.  😞

Message 71 of 71
latest reply