Buying on Ebay not worth the while for most items

Is it just me or is buying many things on Ebay just not cost effective anymore? Has it been like this for a while and I just didn't notice it?

I have been looking for a few specific items and I find many sellers are completely removed from reality when pricing their products (crackhead?) I understand people want to make a few bucks, but come on! If you bought something years ago and got your money out of it, why do you think you can sell it for more money than it was worth brand new? I am not talking about items that appreciate in value with time either.

If I can go and buy a new item at the store locally and get it the same day, why would I buy it from you for 30%  to 40% more and then pay your bloated shipping costs? And god help the buyer if you use the bloody GSP program, then their is another arbitrary customs payment on top of that. Check yourself before you wreck yourself!

It seems selling and buying on Ebay is lackluster at best.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Buying on Ebay not worth the while for most items

Concentrate you searches and views on non GSP sellers. They will usually be the better sellers anyway.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I look for items on eBay that I can't easily track down locally, and with online shopping killing a lot of my local retailers, it seems that I can't buy as much locally as I used to be able to do.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The "local" sellers of specialty goods who have not gone online are not going to be in business much longer.

I'm constantly amazed at the variety of goods available online from retailers within 100 km of my house. Mind you, I live in Ottawa and the catchment area has a population of about 1.5 million.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I totally agree. i remember when I used to recommend ebay but I really cant anymore, unless someone is insistent on paying 50-75% more on a used item and thats not even including the shipping. Seems its gotten out of control. I mostly use kijij now.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

portfelt
Community Member

A lot has changed on eBay the last 5 years and not for the better. There was an easy way to report sellers who overcharged on shipping fees back then and I was regularly giving a list to eBay for excessive charges. I soon found out my protestations were a waste of time as eBay had no punitive policy to curb unscrupulous sellers which were mostly US based. At the time eBay charged a commission on sales without including the shipping charges. Greedy sellers fought back by listing items as Buy It Now at 99cents with bloated shipping costs to offset the actual value of the item. The old adage if you can't beat them you join them occurred with eBay and they instituted a commission based on selling price and shipping costs included as well. Most reputable sellers found that selling auction style was a losing proposition as not enough new buyers were joining eBay as shipping charges kept inflating as well as ill-founded policies such as the GSP. 

Now eBay is nothing more than an online Walmart that sells primarily Chinese products enticed by free shipping. A wall has been erected at the border for Cdn buyers with the GSP who are forced to buy from local sellers or from China. This transformation all stems from not having an effective punitive policy to control excessive shipping costs. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

EBay remains one of the best ways to find the unique and collectible.

True shipping costs have risen for sellers in the US and Canada. Canada Post just released its January parcel rates (the ones that don't make the paper) and , as a random example, shipping a kilo parcel to the USA rises from $15.56 to $16.03.

USPS has also raised parcel rates every year to help with their huge deficit.

Although Canada Post has lost money in the last couple of years, they are usually profitable and that money goes directly to government coffers.

One way CP could make more money and probably help the Canadian economy, is by working with CBSA to collect taxes and duty applicable on items shipped cross-border.

At the moment, CBSA officials tend to ignore imports between $20 and $100, and others which are not bulky. The applicable duty and taxes are not collected, probably because the labour cost would be higher than the amount collected. A sensible bureaucratic move.

If the Harper Government raised the limit to $200, as it has for cross-border shoppers, and actually collected, CP would benefit by $10 a parcel, that being their service charge.

Please note that commercial carriers, like Pitney Bowes,which runs the Global Shipping Policy, MUST collect these or face prosecution.

EBay tells sellers who are considering signing up for the GSP not to use it for items selling under $50. Unfortunately, this does not seem to have penetrated to the US sellers.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

yes I agree totally ebay used to be the number one place to shop online and I used to recommend it to all my friends but now I tell them to stay away prices and poor sellers have pushed me beyond I have had several bad purchases in the last 6 months im sick of having to file cases with pay pal to get my money back ebay is going to pass on if they do nothing to police the shoddy sellers they allow to rip off buyers  no buyers no more ebay think they might put it to gether finaly

Message 8 of 8
latest reply