Canada Post, August 25, 2016, Strike Potential

The Postal Union (CUPW), has been making regular reports with respect to the negotiations with Canada Post  (CPC).

The following information  is from CUPW’s report on its website as  of Friday, August 12

CUPW voted with the possibility of a strike at the end of June.  This option to strike lasts for 60 days.

The 60 day time period ends August 25….  Negotiations can continue if CPC agrees to do so by way of a written agreement.

If there is no agreement to continue negotiations  the union must declare a strike before the 60 days after the last strike vote ends.

The critical date is Thursday, August 25.  If there is going to be a legal strike…  the union must declare  so before August 25.

CUPW will give 72 hours notice of the beginning of a strike.

It is time to mark August 25 on our calendars….

Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Re: Canada Post, August 25, 2016, Strike Potential

"This demographic should not be ignored. "

At 70, I certainly do not want to be "ignored". But that is not the question, is it?

Under current laws, there is only one answer to the postal dispute: negotiation of a settlement. 

It has nothing to do with liking or not liking unions, liking or not liking senior management at Canada Post (appointed by the previous government), supporting one side or the other,  the right to strike (or lockout). While we may all have a personal opinion on each subject, at the end of the day, there can only be one solution in the current context:  negotiation of a settlement.

Important questions such as the right to strike by public servants (all of them at all levels), should the postal service be considered "essential", arbitration forced on both parties, etc... should be discussed once the current situation is resolved. 

When we look around the industrialized world, it is quite clear that not one country has found the perfect solution to those questions.

Message 21 of 87
latest reply

Depends how one defines 'essential'.  Is the Postal System life saving essential?  No.  Well not exactly.

But when you consider the tens of thousands of people whose livelihoods depend directly on ecommerce of which the Postal System is an essential part and the hundreds of thousands who depend on ecommerce indirectly for income, then it becomes much more important. 

Losing ones income, the stress put on families during hard financial times, can lead to domestic violence, drinking, drugs, crime and so on.  Any of which can lead to death at some point.  And just the physical harm caused by stress can lead to heart attacks and a plethora of other well recognized medical conditions.

The importance of income cannot be poo pooed as secondary or no big deal.   It is essential to a healthy life and that makes the Postal System an essential service.

Were there other postal systems to choose from, then Canada Post would not be an essential service, simply because I could go to Joe's Postal Service to ship my packages.  Couriers are not a reasonable alternative, anymore than taxis are a reasonable alternative to public transit....they both perform similar functions but are a completely different type of service. 

Besides, courier companies cannot even begin to handle the overflow in package traffic from an idle postal system, as we began to see in July.

Canada Post is essential.  Period.

Message 22 of 87
latest reply

Many of the people that sell on line are seniors looking for supplementary income.

Many of the younger generation look for supplementary income during their university and early income days.

Several of this younger generation develop a business on-line....   and advance to become an owner of a most successful business, on-line or otherwise.

There are many other people that depend on a dependable postal service 365 days a year....

Canada Post has the mandate to provide a postal service to all locations in Canada..... Thee is no other such service.

As an Essential Service  Canada Post will be that unique postal service 

As sellers on eBay we need a reliable postal service not controlled in a negative manner by a labor dispute.

Message 23 of 87
latest reply

Could this be the beginning of the end....  dated August 15, 2016

Lots of interesting information in this news report....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arbitrator chooses Canada Post's proposal in final offer selection process with postmasters association (CPAA)

OTTAWA, Aug. 15, 2016 /CNW/ - Arbitrator Michel G. Picher has accepted Canada Post's proposal in the final offer selection process to reach a new collective agreement with the Canadian Postmasters and Assistants Association (CPAA).

"Canada Post is appreciative that the arbitration process efficiently expedited the resolution of difficult bargaining issues between us and the CPAA," says Canada Post President and CEO Deepak Chopra.

Key changes under the new collective agreement include a defined contribution pension plan for new employees represented by the CPAA. Except for employees represented by the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC), every employee group at Canada Post has a defined contribution pension plan for newer employees. It exists for management and exempt employees hired after January 2010. It was negotiated with the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Union of Postal Communications Employees (PSAC/UPCE) for administrative and technical employees hired after May 2014. A defined contribution plan was also negotiated with the Association of Postal Officials of Canada (APOC) for supervisors and employees in supervisory support groups hired after February 2015.

The new collective agreement with the CPAA also includes changes to entry-level wages which are in line with changes previously negotiated with other bargaining units. There is also an increase in employee contributions for post-retirement benefits, from 25 per cent to 50/50 cost-sharing with the employer. The wages and benefits package includes modest wage increases and remains competitive while reducing future costs through changes for new employees. Reducing future costs is necessary to respond to the changing needs of Canadians for postal service while respecting Canada Post's mandate to be financially self-sustainable.

Achieving certainty for customers and employees was Canada Post's goal on July 8, 2016, when it proposed binding arbitration if the intensive negotiations left the Corporation and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) at an impasse. The CUPW rejected the idea the same day.

Background:

The CPAA represents more than 5,000 postmasters and assistants in rural post offices across Canada.

Under final offer selection, either party may refer outstanding matters to an arbitrator if negotiations reach an impasse. The Association and the Corporation each submitted final proposals and the relevant supporting evidence. The arbitrator then had to choose one proposal in its entirety and did not have the latitude to blend elements from both.

Message 24 of 87
latest reply

And taking the following from this report.......

Reducing future costs is necessary to respond to the changing needs of Canadians for postal service while respecting Canada Post's mandate to be financially self-sustainable.

Message 25 of 87
latest reply

...and that may explain the reluctance of the postal worker union to go to binding arbitration.

The mandate of the union is not to "reduce costs" but to get the best deal possible for its workers.  "Reducing costs" is management's job.

Message 26 of 87
latest reply

We are in for a wild ride!

But then... Why fight it ... if that is the way to go....

Message 27 of 87
latest reply

a union would normally be delighted at the prospect of going to binding arbitration since it historically has always favoured the workers.  But CUPW wants no part of it because they know that they won't get all of their unrealistic demands met.  Instead they are relying on holding the Canadian public hostage for that.

When this all began my sympathies lay with the union but after months of following the goings on that is no longer the case..

Message 28 of 87
latest reply

The federal government is conducting a review of Canada Post.  Please take the time to look at:

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/examendepostescanada-canadapostreview/index-eng.html

Now, we have seen many different opinions on these eBay boards as to what Canadians expect and want from their postal service.  Unfortunately the federal government folks reviewing Canada Post do not read these boards.

If you seriously want your opinion and voice to be heard, please go to:

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/examendepostescanada-canadapostreview/exprimer-share-eng.html

(it can be done in French if you prefer)

Message 29 of 87
latest reply

Thanks for reposting that link. I did so in earlier threads on this issue too.
Message 30 of 87
latest reply

As we (or I) get older and older, you come to value your pension plan a lot more than when you're in your 20's, when you feel invincible  and your post-career years are so far in the future so as to not give it a minute's worry.  I was somewhat guilty of thinking that way when I was just beginning to work.  I'm happy there are enhancements to the pension plan for the postal workers in this agreement.

Message 31 of 87
latest reply

I am confused. I have been reading the news articles today and these posts.

The news articles lead me to believe that this postal situation has now been resolved and it will be business as usual. No strike, no disruption of service.

Some of these posts make is sound like it isn't resolved and there is more to come.

Can anyone confirm which way things are going, I have a lot of items I would like to relist

Message 32 of 87
latest reply

@fort2b wrote:

a union would normally be delighted at the prospect of going to binding arbitration since it historically has always favoured the workers.  But CUPW wants no part of it because they know that they won't get all of their unrealistic demands met.  Instead they are relying on holding the Canadian public hostage for that.

You're looking at a different history book, though.  In CUPW's case, binding arbitration has not worked well in the past.

Message 33 of 87
latest reply

"Some of these posts make is sound like it isn't resolved and there is more to come."

That is correct.

I do not where you saw articles suggesting the problem had been solved.  I have not seen any of those.

Message 34 of 87
latest reply

As before, I plan to work through any postal disruption by using alternate means of delivery.
Message 35 of 87
latest reply

I expect to close my eBay store as soon as the 72 hour strike or lockout notice is given (if it ever is)

Message 36 of 87
latest reply

The potential for a strike and the date August 25  was reported in today's Winnipeg Free Press.

The concern was in relation to government cheques.  Some cheques  get mailed while others have to be picked up at specified locations.

and if a strike notice is given  the 72 hour time period will allow  for a period of adjustment....  that is no more cheques mailed, as a response to the strike notice......

Message 37 of 87
latest reply

"... government cheques..."

Old Age Pension and CPP cheques for August will be dated August 29th (always third business day before end of the month)

Typically the cheques are delivered by Canada Post one to three days prior to the date payable.  That would be August 24th to 26th.

So no problem expected this month with regards to federal government cheques.

It should be noted that in June the cheques were delivered a full week before the payable date in anticipation of the labour dispute.  The same may happen this month.

Message 38 of 87
latest reply

The newspaper article referred to Manitoba government cheques.

There are 24 depots across Manitoba where essential mail can be picked up..... and much of that mail has been there since June.

Message 39 of 87
latest reply

The following comes from CUPW's website......  

The comment is directed to the fact that many of the postal groups  have gone to defined contribution pensions.....and mainly (only?) through binding arbitration.

CUPW  knows that if they go to binding arbitration,  they will lose the defined benefit pension for new employees of Canada Post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers is disappointed in the recent arbitrator’s decision that allows Canada Post to steal the pensions of the next generation of postmasters and assistants.

Why does the government promise to improve pensions while allowing Crown corporations to do the opposite by degrading the pensions of their employees? We will not allow Canada Post to steal secure pensions from future generations.

The retirement security of thousands of workers and their families should not rest upon the winner-take-all decision of an arbitrator. We uphold free collective bargaining and believe that only a negotiated settlement will result in a deal that everybody can live with.

Message 40 of 87
latest reply