Duplicate "bids" on multiple item BIN's

acurael
Community Member
/start rant... If you don't list multiple item BIN's you can probably skip this...

I can't be the only one who has this happen.

Newbie somehow manages to "bid" twice on a multiple item BIN - cookie problems, isp problems, computer illiterate, whatever the reason.

They only want one item. They pay for one item.

Now I need to get my fees back - but before I can file npb/fvf "mutually agreed to not complete" for the 2nd "bid" I have to wait the required period - as well as allowing any other straggler bidders to either pay or be a deadbeat.

So days, weeks pass I can finally file for my fees. Newbie gets an email from ebay about the non-purchase confirmation for item #X. Newbie goes "no, I bought and paid for that item". They respond to ebay, ebay emails me and I get accused of fee avoidance.

This could be easily fixed on ebay's end - when a person "bids" on a multiple item BIN do a check - "has user id already bid on this item? If yes, then ask "You've already bought X number of these at X time/date - Would you like to buy more of them?" YES/NO

This should be very easy to implement and would completely eliminate the above problem. I have about 2-3 of these per month - although ebay has only accused me of fee avoidance once... so far anyway.

I first suggested this to ebay through PS support back in Dec of 2002!!

And I just had another newbie do this last week!

argh.

/end rant

/waits patiently for ebay programmer to correct this
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

acurael
Community Member
hahaha... the irony - it just happened again.

no wait, it's not that funny - but it is true.
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Wait until someone goes crazy in your store. I had one woman buy seven of the same item. She kept clicking the BIN button and couldn't understand why it wouldn't make the payment... so she kept clicking. It took me two days to get it through to her the "Buy It Now" was no the same as "Pay Now".

It's an issue that people have been pointing out to eBay for a few months now. eBay doesn't need to rush to repair this issue because every click is another potential buck in their pocket. After all, some buyers and sellers just settle up for just the lost FVF without ever filing with eBay.

Bill

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

off_to_uni
Community Member
This could be easily fixed on ebay's end - when a person "bids" on a multiple item BIN do a check - "has user id already bid on this item? If yes, then ask "You've already bought X number of these at X time/date - Would you like to buy more of them?" YES/NO

I have made the exact same suggestion to eBay. Roughly 50% of my auctions are dutch and I get about 3-4 buyers a week using the buy it now button more than once when they really only want one.
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
" If you don't list multiple item BIN's you can probably skip this"

Wrong.
Almost every day or 2 I have a person do a single item BIN and then a minute later do another BIN on an identical bin listing.
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
Really? That's odd... I can buyers hitting the button twice on the same auction - but to BIN then seek out another identical item and BIN it as well takes dedication! or stupidity!
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

off_to_uni
Community Member
" I have a person do a single item BIN and then a minute later do another BIN on an identical bin listing."

I have had that happen a few times myself and it is such an annoyance.
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
The problem is that many people are on dial-up accounts,have slow computers, have hard drives that need to be cleaned up etc. They hit the back button when the computer is "thinking" and then just choose an identical looking auction of mine.
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

off_to_uni
Community Member
I have a dial-up account and it's a pain but I don't think that's the answer.

Most buyers that I have had this problem with seem to think they should be able to pay with Paypal when they don't have an account yet, so they win an auction and try to pay with Paypal, get confused and they think the transaction didn't work so they try again but this time with a second auction you have going. This is Paypal issue.
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

gencollection
Community Member
treasure-pot quote

"so she kept clicking. It took me two days to get it through to her the "Buy It Now" was no the same as "Pay Now."

That one was funny.......

Did she pay?

LOL
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
She finally paid for one and left me to claim the fees back for the others.

I had two more multiple-purchases-but-only-want-one yesterday. One of them closed an auction, then went to my store and found the same item, made two purchases there (so 3 in total) and then emailed me to say that she accidently bought the two in my store because she was trying to pay for the first one and made the mistakes when she tried to deduct the optional insurance.

Huh???

My head is still spinning with the logic employed by some people.

Bill

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
I have to LOL, even though it's not funny. I have had the same thing over and over again...and always newbies who do it. I think the major problem is that people just dont READ the info in our auctions.

How many times have I put specials in my auctions, such as free shipping if they pay the same day. Then they pay the same day, and add the shipping. I have reached the point where if they pay the shipping when I said they didnt have to, why correct them?

I too have experienced the multiple item auction buyers bidding on more than one. "Whoops, I was just showing someone how I bought it, and accidentally bought another". "Gee, I tried to pay now, and bought another instead"

I tried to solve the probelm by forcing the buyer to pay immediately with Paypal...otherwise they cannot claim the auction item. But Paypal had a problem, and when the buyer tried to buy the item, they got a message from Paypal saying there was something wrong with my account, and I couldnt accept any payments at the time. Thanks Paypal for driving my customers away completely!(Its not like ebay refunded the cost of my auctions either...considering they emailed me to say the problem was fixed on the day after the auctions expired....LOL yeah it was fixed, the auction ended!)

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
The latest one I've had is a real doosie...

Buyer does a BIN on one of my items and sees that there is an optional insurance charge. Buyer doesn't want to pay insurance and so goes to my store and finds the same item and clicks on the BIN button twice more thinking that was how the insurance would be removed.

Buyer then emails me and says that, despite a wealth of computer literacy, this is all very confusing and it was just an accident.

As I pointed out in my response to the buyer "it appears that the line between accidents and mistakes has become somewhat grayed"

arrrrrghh!

And the day started with such promise...

Bill

Bill

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
This is a huge problem but apparently not for ebay as they make huge bucks off of these buyers mistakes.
When one or 2 buyers make this mistake I can see ebay distancing itself from this problem. When 10's of thousands of auctions are bought in duplicates, triplicates daily, this is a programmers challenge to do something to make it easier and make the customer aware they have already made a purchase.
Ebay should allow sellers to claim back listing fees on these types of "mistake" orders if claimed back within 48 hours .
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

I stopped listing BIN multiples in my store - its cheaper and easier to pay .06 cents and relist.
Message 15 of 26
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
But that was the whole point of a store!!

Listing everything as a "one of" in my store negates the need for a store. I agree that the problem exists and it goes well beyond a "newbie" issue. In the last week I have had several multiple purchase mistakes/accidents/errors (choose one that suits you) from buyers with in excess of 100 feedback. It is far more prevalent with newbies but it is rapidly approaching nightmare proportions.

eBay's lack of responsiveness on this one is really starting to become a major issue with a lot of the community. OK, so maybe there isn't a quick fix eBay, but why not come out of hiding and say "We acknowledge the existence of a problem and are working to develop a solution". Anything except burying your collective heads in the sand hoping that the problem will go away. IT WON'T!!!

Labels, I don't see them ever straying from the seven days fees claim process. It seems to be a "written in stone" thing with eBay. While a reduced waiting period for fees clawback would be nice, in this instance it does not address the real problem. Maybe there needs to be an additional step in the buying process. Maybe there needs to be some way to catch people buying more than "one of" an item.

From eBay's point of view, they have tried to make the buying process simple and friendly to encourage newbies in particular. Maybe they just went too far in that respect and need to make it slightly less easy.

Bill

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

can-import
Community Member
Maybe they could put a confirmation message when someone buys more than one copy of the same item! Or have a special command or button that would be assigned to cancel multiple bids for us!

Dont know how they could fix it... but there is sure a problem here... and we (sellers) always have to explain why the buyer will get a message for "mutualy agreed to cancel the sale" in 7 days... and that its the right thing to do!
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
Multiple store purchases are not my only problem. I run 10 duplicates of 3 different items all BIN in regular auctions. Almost every 2nd day I get a

"Hey...please cancel my first 2 attempts to purchase. There was some kind of problem and I didn't realize the first 2 purchases went through. I only want 1 of these"
See in my case, they are simply making a bin purchase on 1 unit, backing up and clicking on a new auction of the same item.

My listing fee is $1.40 per item. I average about 5 "error" purchases per week. This is $364.00 taken right out of my pocket. I have to sell about $1000.00 worth of merchandise on Ebay to recoup this cost.

What's the big deal for ebay to have a pop-up message as has been suggested on this board that states "ALERT! You have already made a successful purchase from this seller today. Please click here to continue"
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
Now that I'm thinking about it, If I'm losing $364.00 per year to "mistake" purchases, I'm wondering about the total picture.
Say there are about 90,000 powersellers. If each powerseller only lost a modest $5.00 per week ($260.00 Per annum) to "mistakes" , Ebay is raking in a whopping 23 million US loonies per year to mistakes. It doesn't take an business major to understand the lack of motivation to get rid of this "problem".

Note this is just based on 90,000 sellers. The actual income on listing fees from "mistake" duplicates is
probably closer to $100 million considering there are 700 million registered ebay users.
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

off_to_uni
Community Member
eBay is well aware of the millions and millions of multiple purchase mistakes made by buyers. They don't do anything about it, because it would mean decreasing their revenues and that's simple not what big business is about.

Perhaps if enough eBay sellers make a fuss over it, they will have no choice but to do the right thing, and this problem is easily fixed.
Message 20 of 26
latest reply