How do I get more traffic to my listing

Hi Guys,

I have the following listing 281777707415 which doesn't generate much when entered into the search engine.

Is there some additional (or less) wording that I should use??  This listing is on the U.S. Site.  When I enter a few descriptive words into a general search, my listing usually doesn't show.  What am I doing wrong ??????

Another general question:  Why is that whenever I list or make a change to a listing, there are immediate views?  Is there some sort of a trigger to generate the new listings to some of the "Chosen Few" or how is this done?  JUST ASKIN !!!

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Thanks, your comments and views are appreciated
Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Have you tried using a scanner instead?

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Appreciated your input. Thank you
Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Can't do that on dotcom. Yes it is, because when viewers look at the pic, the grading is visible on the sealed pouch.
Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Sorry, you lost me there. You can't scan because the grading is showing?

The grading is showing in the photograph.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

If the seller uses one of the four or five recognized grading firms, it is accepted by e bay. The actual coin grade is listed in the description and then a backup has to be noted as to the grading firm in a lower section of the coin information. I guess I could list my item as a AU55 grade and then lie about who graded it, but that would be cheating. I am sure that when you enter the grading firm, you probably have to enter a coin registration number (which every graded coin has). Anyway, that is our world in the numismatist world. (coin collector) :<)
Message 26 of 31
latest reply

I guess you don't sell or buy coins.
You, too, are missing the point of my post. I will yell this time,
WHAT WORDING DO I USE TO GET MY LISTINGS TO COME UP
IN A SUMMARY LIST FOR THE ITEM THAT I AM TRYING TO SELL ?
never mind, I will move on.
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Whoops, sorry - correction -- I meant not "INR claim" but "SNAD claim" up there in Post #18.  

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

CAN'T SEE THE FOREST THROUGH THE TREES!!!

EVERYONE IS GIVING YOU THE REASONS THE YOU LISTING IS FAILING. YOU'RE THE ONE NOT LISTENING. THE ONLY CONSTRUCTIVE THING THAT YOU SAID IS THAT YOU WILL MOVE ON. GOOD LUCK AND GOOD DAY!

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Sorry to be blunt, but you're shooting yourself in the foot by not listening to the excellent advice offered by the experienced sellers on this forum.

"You, too, are missing the point of my post. I will yell this time,
WHAT WORDING DO I USE TO GET MY LISTINGS TO COME UP
IN A SUMMARY LIST FOR THE ITEM THAT I AM TRYING TO SELL ?"

No need to yell. I don't believe anyone is missing the point of your post. It seems that you changed the point of your post - your title asks a specific question: "How do I get more traffic to my listing?" The answer: Make a better listing.

Let's assume I'm in the market for a 1924 Canada one cent coin. The first thing I'm going to do is go to ebay.ca and search for "1924 Canada one cent coin". What's going to show up? NOT YOUR LISTING. Because you don't even offer shipping to Canada - the primary customer base for your item. So there's a reason why you're not getting much traffic and why it's not showing up in search listings.

Now let's assume I don't just pick one of the 27 options I get on ebay.ca and decide to search on ebay.com. I put in the same search: "1924 Canada one cent coin". 14 results. None of which are yours because you don't have the word "coin" in your title! There goes a bunch of other traffic you might not be getting.

Assuming I haven't already found a nice coin to buy already (which would be odd, because I've come across many listings), maybe I'll do another search for just "1924 Canada one cent". 33 results, one of which is yours. The first thing I'm going to do is sort them by "lowest price + shipping" because I want to pay the least amount possible. Yours appears in position 27/33, which should tell you something about your price... Granted, many of the ones before it are not graded, so let's assume I want a graded coin. The first graded coin I come across is one with the exact same grade as yours (AU-55, item # 151785045085) with a starting bid nearly SEVENTY DOLLARS (CAD) less than yours. Why would I even entertain your listing when I could potentially get one for seventy dollars less?? Furthermore, the last one to sell at this grade sold for $89.95 CAD (with free shipping). Even if I decide to entertain your listing, the first thing I see in the search results is an incredibly ugly and poorly lit photo - this just screams 'unprofessional' to me. If anything, your LAST photo should be the first one.

I'd highly suggest you take all the advice you've been given here and create a brand new listing.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply

@murphcrud wrote:

Thanks for your comments.   You also have missed the reason for my post.  The price is not the issue.  That can be adjusted anytime.

The question is:  How to I make my listing appear in more searches.  I think that I have been given enough information to make my necessary changes to my listings.

Regarding the ICCS, please read my other posting below on this subject.  I believe that the real truth to the matter about the ICCS not being recognized is as I stated.  I am sure that, in general, we all think that our coins are all a grade or two better than they actually are and when they come back from grading, we are usually a bit disappointed.  Now, put yourself in the shoes of the U.S. coin graders; "Why let in another grading company that does not agree with us?" 

There is a large write up on just that fact.  A group of guys got together from various parts of Canada.  They all contributed X number of dollars and graded and ungraded coins.  The idea was that each graded there own coins and then sent to one location where the "super Grader" photographed and regraded all of the coins himself.  All coins were removed from Professional grading pouches and all were sent off to various graders in the U.S. and ICCS.  Upon return of the 20 + coins from one grader, the coins were all removed from the first graders pouches, photographed again and all packaged up to be sent to the next grader.  And on and on.  This, obviously took some time.  The results were somewhat similar for most, but all were different as this grading thing, is subjective.  Even some of the coins sent back to the same grader who had originally graded the coin, varied, and in 2 cases, significantly.

The writer basically drew his own conclusion that grading is quite subjective and we should each grade our coins in pictures.

GUESS THAT MEANS THAT I HAVE TO GET A MUCH BETTER CAMERA  :<)

Usually the camera is not the problem. It is the way pictures are taken. Most cameras made in the past 5-7 years are more than adequate for eBay pictures, even the lower cost point and shoot cameras.

Knowing how to take a picture is what is important. Lighting is important. Here is a link to a 10 year old web page on how to take photos of coins written by an eBay seller (camerajim) who was famous for offering free help to other members.

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/cjgcoins.htm

Most of what is in that web page still applies today. The home made milk jug for taking photos works well for small flat objects. Cheap and actually works.

Message 31 of 31
latest reply