I finally bought instead of sold and I'm RIPPED OFF!

karensvariety
Community Member
I love selling and decided to do some Christmas shopping on ebay. Well, wouldn't you know it, but I've been ripped off. I made the big mistake of using checkout. Does anyone know if I can have my credit card company reverse this charge? Has anyone been through this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

jaymor8
Community Member
karen - I don't know what the problem is. You used checkout and what went wrong????

Sorry if I didn't get it 😞

Jackie...
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

karensvariety
Community Member
I bought a DVD and paid with checkout. Then I heard nothing, no invoice, no emails, no DVD. I emailed several times through two different servers and through ebay in case he wasn't getting it. Then I noticed a few negative feedbacks popping up from other people with the same problem. This guy has over 500 successful sales so maybe he has a problem, I don't know, but one person says it has been over three weeks. If I hadn't used checkout, I would never have paid because he didn't contact me. I have contacted ebay and Paypal but since he is Canadian, he is not covered under "buyer protection". Does this mean I can't get my payment reversed? Is there anything I can do with my credit card company to have this charge reversed? Any help would be appreciated.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hi Karen,
I think you may have to try to file through Paypal first - then contact your CC issuer with your documentation and proceed with a chargeback. You sure you used a credit card through Paypal and not existing Paypal account funds? If the charge went to your CC you should be able to reverse it.
Ann
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

karensvariety
Community Member
No, you're right. It would have been paid with existing Paypal funds. I have contacted Paypal and am just waiting to see what, if anything, they can do.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
Karen.. it seems strange that this guy would have so many successful sales and then just fall off the face of the earth..

I have a friend of mine who sells sports cards on Ebay. Has a few hundred listings going at one time. While low and behold, last winter, unexpectedly he took sick, hospitalized. Obviously could not respond to emails and completed sales, but once out he was able to communicate with everyone, advise of the problem and get going again.

Not trying to draw a comparison here, but things do unexpectedly happen to people.

Jeff

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

karensvariety
Community Member
I have thought of that and have waited but I need this for a Christmas present so I am worried because if he has ripped me off, then I have to get another. I have often thought what on earth would happen if I was sick, in an accident, etc. It is a scary thought.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

brcyclesalvage
Community Member
Did you pull his contact info and call him/her?

Ryan
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
Karen, looks like you're talking about item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3361878945

I guess you lost $45! The buyer has been NARUd, most likely for having too many fraud reports filed against him. Log into PayPal and click on the "Security Center" link at the bottom of any PayPal page. Now click on "file a claim" in the right hand column. Click "Continue". Follow the directions - this will take you through the chargeback procedure. You will have your money back in about 7-10 days.

Don't delay, because you paid for those DVDs three weeks ago - if you don't file within the 30 day time period (a bogus rule if you ask me) then they keep your cash.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
^Edit: I think that DVD set is available locally for a LOT less than what you paid 🙂
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
If that is the item... I happen to live in Regina where the seller is listed as being from... email me, I might be able to help!

Wade
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

karensvariety
Community Member
I think I actually filed a claim (although stumbled my way through it is more like it). Anyway, I got a letter from Paypal and from ebay. I am just very relieved to know that there is even a remote possibility of getting my money back. I guess I better find another seller (hopefully better and cheaper). Thank you for your help!
Karen.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

mahsauction
Community Member
I just bought some items from him in October. He shipped the items, no problems then. He replied to emails promptly.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply