Justins refugee headache

valve37
Community Member

Will Canada have 25000 before end of the year. Better be cautious.

Germany imposes surprise curbs on Syrian refugees

Angela Merkel has performed an abrupt U-turn on her open-door policy towards people fleeing Syria’s civil war, with Berlin announcing that the hundreds of thousands of Syrians entering Germany would not be granted asylum or refugee status.

Syrians would still be allowed to enter Germany, but only for one year and with “subsidiary protection” which limits their rights as refugees. Family members would be barred from joining them.

Related: Germany receives nearly half of all Syrian asylum applicants

Germany, along with Sweden and Austria, has been the most open to taking in newcomers over the last six months of the growing refugee crisis, with the numbers entering Germany dwarfing those arriving anywhere else.

However, the interior minister, Thomas de Maiziere, announced that Berlin was starting to fall into line with governments elsewhere in the European Union, who were either erecting barriers to the newcomers or acting as transit countries and limiting their own intake of refugees.

“In this situation other countries are only guaranteeing a limited stay,” De Maiziere said. “We’ll now do the same with Syrians in the future. We’re telling them ‘you will get protection, but only so-called subsidiary protection that is limited to a period and without any family unification.’”

The major policy shift followed a crisis meeting of Merkel’s cabinet and coalition partners on Thursday. The chancellor won global plaudits in August when she suspended EU immigration rules to declare that any Syrians entering Germany would gain refugee status, though this stirred consternation among EU partners who were not forewarned of the move.

Thursday’s meeting decided against setting up “transit zones” for the processing of refugees on Germany’s borders with Austria, but agreed on prompt deportation of people whose asylum claims had failed.

Until now Syrians, Iraqis and Eritreans entering Germany have been virtually guaranteed full refugee status, meaning the right to stay for at least three years, entitlement for family members to join them, and generous welfare benefits.

Almost 40,000 Syrians were granted refugee status in Germany in August, according to the Berlin office responsible for the programme, with only 53 being given “subsidiary” status. That now appears to have ended abruptly.

An interior ministry spokesman told the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung: “The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees is instructed henceforth to grant Syrian civil war refugees only subsidiary protection.”

De Maiziere described the new regime as “a win for security and order for Germany”.

Related: Winter is coming: the new crisis for refugees in Europe

But the suddenness of the move by the country that has been pivotal in the EU’s biggest ever immigration crisis will ripple across the region with unknown consequences, particularly in the transit countries of the Balkans and central Europe through which hundreds of thousands have been trekking towards Germany.

The German curbs will encourage these countries to establish barriers of their own to the refugee wave. Merkel is also pressing countries such as Croatia, Slovenia, and Serbia to establish “reception centres” or camps where refugees can be processed and screened before they reach Germany. The countries are resisting because no one knows what to do with those who are screened and do not pass muster for passage to Germany.

Berlin is the most powerful advocate of sharing the refugee burden across the EU, but has also frustrated and angered several countries with a series of unilateral decisions that have had major knock-on effects across the union.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/germany-imposes-surprise-curbs-on-syrian-refugees/ar-CC2Bcm

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 1 of 137
latest reply
136 REPLIES 136

Justins refugee headache

It is true that Germany, in trying to do the right thing, has found itself between a rock and a hard place.  Carrying its historical burden of guilt since 1945 has meant that it has tried to be a beacon of exceptional humanitarianism in the successive decades.  

However, in throwing open its doors, it is virtually guaranteeing that thousands upon thousands more will attempt the perilous journey to reach its borders.  No single country in Europe can absorb such numbers so quickly, especially when they come with literally nothing but the clothes on their backs, needing everything.  

Germany had enough difficulty properly re-acclimating its own people from the east after the iron curtain fell -- I know, because I was there, and there was a lot of talk amongst West Germans about the debacle that the flood of "Easties" was going to create.  In the end, the government persisted, investing money and human resources into the integration process, and the country is now stronger for it.  

This is not, and should not be, solely a German problem to solve.  Nonetheless, the challenge has been left almost entirely in its lap to resolve, and worse -- other nations of the Eurozone are now pointing fingers at that country for worsening the situation of incoming refugees to Europe.  

I blame these other mean-spirited and bigoted European nations for not forming a coherent plan together to efficiently absorb the fleeing masses before this became an insurmountable humanitarian crisis.  There are now tens of thousands of people trapped on the wrong side of barbed-wire fences.  What are they going to do once the European winter sets in -- as it will?  

One apparent reality which is exacerbating the situation is that most of the refugees don't want to stay in places like Greece or the Balkans, even if they were welcome.  The word has obviously got out that Germany is the place to be.  This puts even more pressure on the German government, and I don't fault them for having to stem the rush somehow.  Sadly, it is their very generosity and willingness to help, and the fact that the country does offer a stable, economically sound place to build a life, that has ensured it will face the biggest part of this challenge. 

Canada is doing the right thing, in my view, in taking refugees directly from the holding camps in Turkey and elsewhere.  This will not only help to stem some of the tide of desperate people attempting the dangerous crossing by sea to Greece, but may also (if other laggard countries like the U.S. follow suit) make some room for newcomers to the refugee camps.  

There was another era when the U.S. kept its doors mostly shut, and Canada mostly followed suit.  I hope that in this crisis, under Trudeau's leadership, Canada will show itself to again be the humanitarian world leader it once was.  Shame on Harper for not having done more, sooner.  

Incidentally, I was pleased to hear that Canada is going to be opening the old (now mostly empty) Cornwallis training base just up the road from us to welcome and house some of the first Syrian refugees.  This is a little-known complex of long barrack-like buildings that was built during WWII to house Canadian troops being sent to England by sea.  It is still used every summer for a cadet training programme, but can house many, many more (I think probably several hundred).  I hope our little town of less than 500 will have an opportunity to help in some way, even if it means just organizing an ad-hoc community welcome group to assist in any way possible.  We're good at that here in Nova Scotia.  

I want to say one word here to those who have bought into the fear-mongering that was the hallmark of Mr. Harper's time as PM.  My firm belief is that anybody who flees their native land and home in terror, and risks their life travelling on foot overland does not do so because they are terrorists.  Any serious radicals amongst the crowd could surely have found a means to connect with the appropriately rabid group before going through such a tortuous and dangerous experience.  

No, I think people who are running for their lives are innocent victims desperate for a helping hand, and will -- if we treat them accordingly, with compassion and without hesitation or fear -- be grateful to call this country home and willing to contribute to making it better.  

Message 21 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

By the way, before we judge, which of us (except of course those of First Nations descent) doesn't have a parent, grandparent or great-grandparent somewhere in the family tree who was once in the same situation and came to Canada fleeing terror, famine, economic collapse or other horror?  

Message 22 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

"...came to Canada fleeing terror, famine, economic collapse or other horror?  "

While that may apply to some families, ours was a different story.

My great-great-many times great-grandfather was a convict in France in the seventeenth century given the opportunity to move to the colony and start a new life farming.  Around the same time my great-great-many times great-grandmother was a prostitute (let's call a spade a spade) given the opportunity to start a new life in the colony.

They came over by boat, they met, were given a piece of land to farm and, as they say, the rest is history.

I am glad they did come over!

Message 23 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

My historical family came to this country in the early 1800's fleeing Ireland and not just the famine but also the persecution and thievery of the British as they attempted to destroy every aspect of Irish lives. Coincidentally my father met my Irish mother during WW2 and her mother (my grandmother) had been part of the Cumann na mBan (women'd division) fighting for Irish independence during and after the Easter uprising. My great grandfather on the other hand met and married a Mi'kmaq woman and hence I have the blood of both the First Nations people and Irish in me. I know injustices well, which is why many have noticed my passion and very short fuse when it comes to both the oppressors and those who will not help those in need. 

Photobucket
Message 24 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Hopefully the Libs will put as much effort and resources for some of our Native bands in dire need as they are doing for 25000 non natives. Tell us Prior some of the need as you follow that probably more closely than most.

I guess well see over the next four years if its a A effort or something less. 

Message 25 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

"I guess well see over the next four years"......pretty much sums it all up.

Photobucket
Message 26 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

When I look at newcomers to this country, I see people who will soon be working and contributing to my pension.

I'm very shallow.

Twenty five thousand people-- half female, perhaps more than half children-- regardless of religion, unlikely terrorists.

And these are the people who ran from a country ravaged by terrorism.

We will be putting money into them for some time.

BUT

Kids need education-- good for teachers.

Families need homes-- good for construction, good for furniture makers, importers, and retailers.

Workers need transportation  -- good for construction, good for automobile dealers, good for bus drivers.

People need clothing-- good for retailers, good for clothing manufacturers and importers.

This is a smaller influx, and no faster, than the return of soldiers from WWII.

And yes, there was a short, post-war recession. But the 50s and 60s were very prosperous.

Perhaps we can even lose the Temporary Foreign Workers program, and instead keep those jobs for New Canadians paying taxes here.

Message 27 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

In 1831, 34,000 Irish immigrants arrived in Quebec.  In 1846, 33,000 people of all nationalities arrived in Grosse Ile, Quebec.  In 1847 84,500 people arrived (some sources say over 100,000), about 70% of them Irish people who were fleeing from famine.  Toronto, then a city of about 20,000, saw 40,000 Irish arrive that year.  By 1871 the Irish were the largest ethnic group in every large town and city in Canada (except Montreal and Quebec City).

Canada handled it then, with much fewer resources than are available now.  We can accept a lot more than 25,000 refugees and I hope we do so over the next year.  I agree this can only be beneficial to Canada over the medium-to-long term.  And like Rose, I don't see a terrorist suffering so much for so long just to get into our country.  They have other methods.

There are many Canadians already signed up with groups to sponsor Syrian refugees.  I would encourage everyone who is interested to contact your local or provincial Community Sponsors, Groups of Five, or Sponsorship Agreement Holders.  There are many ways we can help, and as well any amount of donation is appreciated.

Message 28 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Canada has an interesting history. When settled by 'immigrants' the First Nations people were persecuted, murdered, land stolen, children taken and the list goes on and on. Later Jewish refugees were rejected by Canada. Now many people want Muslim people rejected. Just one question......who is doing all this persecution and rejection? 

Photobucket
Message 29 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Jihadis sneaked into Europe via Greece by posing as refugees - and survivors say one of the attackers was a WOMAN  

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11996678/Paris-terror-attacks-victims-isil-s...

Justins headache may get even bigger.

Message 30 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

"Justins headache may get even bigger."

If I may be candid, I do not think so.

The Prime Minister Justin Trudeau does not have a headache, you and people thinking like you do.

Canadians generally are fair minded and welcoming.  Few suffer from paranoia caused by racism and bigotry.

Message 31 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Well in any case Pierre they are not making it easy for him.

Islamic State extremists are taking advantage of developed nations' generosity towards refugees to infiltrate Europe, he said.

The lethal ISIS gunmen use local smugglers to blend in and travel amongst a huge tide of illegal migrants flooding Europe.

More than 1.5million refugees have fled into Turkey alone – desperate to escape the bloodshed in Syria.

From Turkish port cities like Izmir and Mersin, thousands of refugees venture across the Mediterranean aiming for Italy, he said.

Then the majority make for more welcoming nations like Sweden and Germany, turning themselves over to authorities and appealing for asylum.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/555434/Islamic-State-ISIS-Smuggler-THOUSANDS-Extremists-into-Eur...

Vetting of refugees will need be all inclusive whether carrying a Canadian passport or a Syrian, or none. Wonder how long it might take to check out the authenticity of ones passport. They did not do so well in Paris but then you can travel from country to country in the UK without question. Maybe not anymore after Paris. Some are putting walls up.  

Message 32 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

It's as if you desperately want something to happen.

Photobucket
Message 33 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

@gauge33 wrote:

Islamic State extremists are taking advantage of developed nations' generosity towards refugees to infiltrate Europe, he said.  The lethal ISIS gunmen use local smugglers to blend in and travel amongst a huge tide of illegal migrants flooding Europe.

Vetting of refugees will need be all inclusive whether carrying a Canadian passport or a Syrian, or none. Wonder how long it might take to check out the authenticity of ones passport. They did not do so well in Paris but then you can travel from country to country in the UK without question. Maybe not anymore after Paris. Some are putting walls up.  

Perhaps you'd feel better if Canada forced all 25,000 refugees it allowed into the country (including children) to wear tracking bands for years like wild animals? 

There is only so much that can be done by any prudent nation to vet a large number of displaced people.  It will never be absolutely 100% perfect.  Not everyone who has fled Syria will have a passport, but some may have family members or other community members (such as doctors) to vouch for them.  Canada can only do the best job it is capable of doing in screening.  

Are there rotten apples in every crowd of 25,000 people?  No question.  However, the fact that these people will know they are being vetted will, in my view, make it far less likely that ISIS adherents will take the risk of being in line to be checked out.  ISIS certainly has the money and the means to get people to Canada (or radicalized Canadians to act) without going through personal background checks in a refugee camp, which if nothing else, could expose fellow terrorists.   

This is completely different from what has been happening in Europe, where people can simply walk through to any country on foot (at least until this week).  The fact that a handful of ISIS operatives were discovered to have surfaced in a tide of humanity of -- how many? -- over a million souls or more going into Europe, says that it's statistically an extremely limited factor, even in such a chaotic and uncontrolled migration.  

Add to this the reality that France's history vis-à-vis Muslims has been difficult (to say the least), making that country far more likely to attract ISIS attention, and you have a minuscule issue to worry about where refugees to Canada are concerned.  It is simply the right thing to do to help these people and to set aside bigotry and fear.  

Message 34 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

I agree that it's the right thing to do.

So far it appears that all the Paris attackers are either of French or Belgian Nationality. So logically it would make sense to ban them, not the Syrians.

"All of the attackers from Friday’s massacre in Paris so far have been identified as European Union nationals, according to a top EU official. The announcement further casts doubt on the validity of a Syrian passport found near the bodies of a slain attacker.

“Let me underline, the profile of the terrorists so far identified tells us this is an internal threat,” Federica Mogherini, the High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy/Vice-President of the European Commission,said after a meeting with EU foreign ministers. “It is all EU citizens so far. This can change with the hours, but so far it is quite clear it is an issue of internal domestic security.”

The majority of attackers were identified as French or Belgian nationals. An Egyptian passport was also found, but the Egyptian Ambassador to France said it belonged to a critically wounded victim and not a perpetrator. The Syrian passport caused a ruckus, with some politicians in Europe and the U.S. calling for a halt to Syrian refugee resettlement. An increasing number of state governors are trying to defund the settlement program. American officials told CBS News that the passport might be fake, while British-daily the Independent reported that a man was arrested in Serbia while carrying a Syrian passport with matching details to the one found in Paris."

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 35 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Headache getting bigger as provinces balk.

Canada provinces balk at Trudeau's Syrian refugee goal

WINNIPEG, Manitoba/MONTREAL (Reuters) - A plan by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to accept 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of the year appeared in jeopardy on Monday as some provincial and municipal leaders said the timeline does not allow for enough security checks and is logistically impossible.

Canadian misgivings echoed those expressed in the United States by more than a dozen state governors who said they would not allow Syrian refugees to be settled in their states, contending it was too dangerous after Friday's deadly attacks in Paris.

The immigration minister in the mostly French-speaking province of Quebec, Kathleen Weil, said she does not believe Trudeau's goal is realistic.

"I'm going‎ to be frank," Weil told reporters. "‎I don't think it is possible by the end of the year."

The premier of the Western province of Saskatchewan, Brad Wall, asked Trudeau to suspend the plan in light of the Paris attacks and the chance of admitting operatives trained by Islamic State.

"If even a small number of individuals who wish to do harm to our country are able to enter Canada as a result of a rushed refugee resettlement process, the results could be devastating," Wall said in a letter to the prime minister.

Wall's objection and Weil's skepticism about the timetable added to mounting pressure on Trudeau to adjust his election campaign promise. Trudeau reiterated on Sunday that Canada will admit 25,000 Syrian refugees before Jan. 1.

Quebec City's Mayor Regis Labeaume said the government was acting hastily and even refugee advocates warned that it would be hard to meet the pledge made by Trudeau, who is out of the country on his first global trip since taking office Nov. 4.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idCAKCN0T52G720151116

Message 36 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Well I do agree that Trudeau has boxed himself into a bit of a corner with the promised timeline.  

However I think most Canadians would accept and understand if an extension were necessary in order for officials to do the work of monitoring, admitting and settling people properly.  

Message 37 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

gauge33
Community Member

The Syrian refugee welcome plan to be announced by the federal government on Tuesday will permit only women, children and families, not men travelling on their own, to come to Canada.

Quoting unnamed sources, CBC News said Sunday that, to quell concerns about security, unaccompanied men will not be part of the program.

If that turns out to be true is it not some kind of discriminatory gender phobia.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canada-to-screen-out-single-men-under-refugee-plan-cbc/ar-BBnki...

Message 38 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

I'm not religious but for those who claim they are...........

Jesus-refugee.jpg

Bring over all the refugees and let them move to Westridge.

Photobucket
Message 39 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

gauge33
Community Member

Promise #1 broken. Now 10000 by the end of 2015. Probably the 10000 the Harper government already vetted or were being vetted.

The 25000 was ill conceived and was no doubt promised to garner votes.

However now Liberal heads have faced reality and are doing the right thing. 

Message 40 of 137
latest reply