Message from eBay re: Postal Strike

Just received an email from eBay-Canada:

As you are likely aware, there is a possibility that Canada Post services will be impacted by a labour disruption as early as July 2, 2016. We encourage you to visit canadapost.ca/update to read about the latest developments and sign up for email updates.

In the event of a Canada Post labour disruption, eBay will remain open for business, and we’re asking you to do the same. There is no need to put your store on vacation hold, to end listings, or to zero out quantities on multi-quantity listings.

Should Canada Post service be disrupted, we recommend that sellers:

• Continue to list and sell on eBay; and
  • Be considerate and accommodate buyers who may wish to cancel orders if they have not yet been shipped.

eBay will be monitoring, and where possible adjusting, estimated delivery dates and eBay Money Back Guarantee timelines to ensure that sellers are not penalized for shipping delays.

eBay will communicate with buyers who purchase Canadian items prior to, or during, a labour disruption to ensure they are aware of the likelihood of shipping delays.

The eBay Canada Team will post additional details on the Announcements Board as they become available.

What this message tells you is to keep listing, keep selling so eBay keeps on collecting fees..  What this message does not tell you is that if an unhappy buyer leaves negative feedback because of delay caused by the postal strike eBay will NOT remove it.

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Re: Message from eBay re: Postal Strike

@pierrelebel wrote:

"how long with the Liberals let a strike/lockout go on before taking action? "

I guess the federal government will listen to Canadians before taking action on back-to-work legislation.

What do most Canadians want?  Do they really care if there is no postal service for a week or two or longer?  Systems are in place for delivery of government cheques (if needed at the end of July). Since most Canadians now get their government benefits (both federal and provincial) through direct deposit to their bank account, many may fell like letting both Canada Post and its unions fight it out for a while.

Time will tell

I don't think "what most Canadians want" that matters, it's what the big users of the postal service want and that means what big business wants. Big business has lots of sway, they are the primary sources of funding for the political parties.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 41 of 114
latest reply

I am in the fortunate position to say--- to with CanadaPost.

My shop stays open.

I live just north of the Montana border--a pleasant short drive to a USPS service location.

I will drive down once a week and mail from there and send each buyer a note telling them what I am doing for them in the way of service and to expect their delivery to be a couple of days late.

Message 42 of 114
latest reply

I am in the fortunate position to say--- to with CanadaPost.

My shop stays open.

I live just north of the Montana border--a pleasant short drive to a USPS service location.

I will drive down once a week and mail from there and send each buyer a note telling them what I am doing for them in the way of service and to expect their delivery to be a couple of days late.

Which should work well for you U.S. and International buyers.  

Plans for your Canadian buyers are...?

Message 43 of 114
latest reply

mjwl2006 wrote:

What are your thoughts on the 'official' recommendation that sellers not put their stores on Vacation or end listings? 

My first thought was, eBay says there is "no need" to stop listing.  So maybe you inform your buyers that shipments might be delayed, and maybe you put that on your listing page, so they are informed up front, before deciding to buy... 

How does that look from the international buyer's perspective?  If you were looking at a listing from any other country where the seller had added the note "we have a postal strike; this could be delayed", would you still buy it?  I wouldn't.
So either you tell them, and probably lose the sale, or you don't tell them, and then you haven't provided them with complete information and they're mad when their item doesn't come in a week.

I'm glad I don't have a store.  And hope the non-paying bidder who appears to be in the works turns out to be just that.  Then I won't be listing or shipping anything.  Woman Sad  Booo Canada Post.

Message 44 of 114
latest reply

I will drive down once a week and mail from there

Many sellers in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver will be using third party shippers to do just that.

It's not economically possible for me on Vancouver Island. I'd have to add a $60 ferry ride to my shipping costs.

BTW- the reason for using a third party shipper is that the USA has become quite touchy about this. I think it's because technically you would be selling in the USA without a green card.

You might want to look into the Nexus program before you get stopped.

Just in case.

It makes the most sense to do this if you are selling on dotCOM. All that is necessary is to give NO SHIPPING rate for Canada.

If you are selling on dotCA, you must ship to Canada or you can't list.

Message 45 of 114
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

I would bet that the back to work legislation is already written.

And there is no minority government issue to get in the way this time.

There was no minority government the last time either (Harper got a majority in the May 2011 elections), so was able to override all opposition objections in June.

-..-

Message 46 of 114
latest reply

That's correct.  Harper had a majority gov't in 2011.  The delay in passing the legislation was due to the NDP filibuster, which I imagine will happen again, if the Liberals try to pass back to work legislation, which I am far from convinced that they will.

I still think the lockout/strike will be very long.  The head of CP is trying to break the union.  He wants a long lockout, to starve the workers into capitulating.   He still collects his half million dollar paycheque, so he will feel no pain and he could care less how many small businesses in Canada go under.

Both sides in the dispute feign concern for the Canadian public, but their actions speak otherwise.

Message 47 of 114
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Many sellers in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver will be using third party shippers to do just that.

It's not economically possible for me on Vancouver Island. I'd have to add a $60 ferry ride to my shipping costs.

BTW- the reason for using a third party shipper is that the USA has become quite touchy about this. I think it's because technically you would be selling in the USA without a green card.

Just in case.

It makes the most sense to do this if you are selling on dotCOM. All that is necessary is to give NO SHIPPING rate for Canada.

I think that the reason most people use a third party shipper to the U.S. Is  for convenience and lower costs.  As far as I know, the government there doesn't have a problem with Canadians crossing the border to use USPS as long as the proper procedures are followed.   Using a Nexus card for that purpose  is NOT allowed.

Message 48 of 114
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Just in case.

I think that the reason most people use a third party shipper to the U.S. Is  for convenience and lower costs.  As far as I know, the government there doesn't have a problem with Canadians crossing the border to use USPS as long as the proper procedures are followed.   Using a Nexus card for that purpose  is NOT allowed.

Yeah that's the reason at least for me. I'm in Toronto, gas & border fees would run me about $40 to get to Niagara Falls NY and at least 4 hours travel time (if I'm amazingly lucky....no traffic, no border delay). I can send about 50 packages via ChitChat or as I did before ChitChat send my packages via courier in bulk to Niagara Falls) for the same price.

I used to enjoy driving to Buffalo 35 years ago when the border was a non-issue and visiting the US was "fun". Nowadays you couldn't pay me to battle traffic and suffer the indignities of a border crossing to possibly save a couple of Dollars. Of course I'm also using ChitChat for International shipping so I need to go there anyway.

I've been involved in cross border trade for 40 years, the customs paperwork is a non-issue for me because of my experience in the field. It can be a bit daunting for somebody new at the game and in the current climate US Customs has ZERO tolerance for those that don't follow procedures to the letter (not that they ever did).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 49 of 114
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Just in case.

Yeah that's the reason at least for me. I'm in Toronto, gas & border fees would run me about $40 to get to Niagara Falls NY and at least 4 hours travel time (if I'm amazingly lucky....no traffic, no border delay). I can send about 50 packages via ChitChat or as I did before ChitChat send my packages via courier in bulk to Niagara Falls) for the same price.

I used to enjoy driving to Buffalo 35 years ago when the border was a non-issue and visiting the US was "fun". Nowadays you couldn't pay me to battle traffic and suffer the indignities of a border crossing to possibly save a couple of Dollars. Of course I'm also using ChitChat for International shipping so I need to go there anyway.

I've been involved in cross border trade for 40 years, the customs paperwork is a non-issue for me because of my experience in the field. It can be a bit daunting for somebody new at the game and in the current climate US Customs has ZERO tolerance for those that don't follow procedures to the letter (not that they ever did).

I live to far from the border to even think about taking packages. Besides that, I like to cross at out of the way places where the longest line I have ever been in, I was second. It has been said that is primarily experienced travelers who use the secondary entry points, people who know what they are doing and are not up to anything. The treatment by the border guards is a lot different. Tends to be older people with a lot of experience.

Photobucket
Message 50 of 114
latest reply

Almost no Canadian buyers--They will know about the strike and are unlikely to order--and if they do--can give them the option of  a refund or wait until strike is over for shipment.

Message 51 of 114
latest reply

All this for a stool to sit on and pension. Wasn't the pension brought up on the last lockout?

Message 52 of 114
latest reply

Well, the postal 'disruption' is finally getting some real publicity.

This was on the first page of my MSN feed just now:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canada-post-strike-may-halt-snail-mail-in-edmonton-across-canad...

Between "Cdn Town doesn't want tourists" and "Jay Leno crashes while riding 2.500 horsepower car."

So all the important news.

(Okay , Brexit is in there too, but that's not as funny.)

Message 53 of 114
latest reply

I'll just leave this here;

canada post.jpg

Message 54 of 114
latest reply

The stool thing is a minor issue, that was also an issue five years ago.

The main issues are: pension rollback, equal pay between urban and rural workers and job security.

Both sides' positions are stupid.  CUPW has to wake up to the modern economy and Chopra just wants to break the union. (I think he wants a lock out and doesn't give a rat's who gets crushed under by it). Chopra needs to be replaced by a real business person who knows how to negotiate, not just say 'no' and collect a half million bucks a year.

Message 55 of 114
latest reply

@fort2b wrote:

The stool thing is a minor issue, that was also an issue five years ago.

The main issues are: pension rollback, equal pay between urban and rural workers and job security.

Both sides' positions are stupid.  CUPW has to wake up to the modern economy and Chopra just wants to break the union. (I think he wants a lock out and doesn't give a rat's who gets crushed under by it). Chopra needs to be replaced by a real business person who knows how to negotiate, not just say 'no' and collect a half million bucks a year.

That is true. Entirely caused by the direct actions of CP. When CP forced the lock-out, with Harper's direct support, in 2011, the Union moved towards the middle. CP moved away from the middle. The workers "took one for the team".

So, based on management's strategy of forcing the union to negotiate, while the refuse to, what is the union to do? Management has forced the union to dig in their heels.

This is a classic where everyone loses.

Photobucket
Message 56 of 114
latest reply

Here is the most up to date info I can find:

".....The main point of contention is a roll-back of health benefits to union members...."

"....it's all up in the air right now.  Dyer says its too early to say for sure whether a work stoppage will happen, but the union is preparing.

He says the union is waiting for Canada Post to give a notification of an intent to lock out. He says they just received their first global offer, which they're not a fan of. But Dyer says it's evidence that Canada Post is taking the negotiations more seriously."

Two positive take aways from that: 

One is that there is only one main point of contention, whereas I thought there were at least 3...so perhaps the others have been resolved to satisfaction, which gives hope for the final issue, I suppose, which doesn't seem all that severe to me.

The other is that CP may be taking negotiations more seriously.

Message 57 of 114
latest reply

I wish there was a law, that, during a strike or lockout, neither management nor the union bosses can receive any pay.

Then watch how fast these disputes get resolved....

Message 58 of 114
latest reply

@fort2b wrote:

Here is the most up to date info I can find:

".....The main point of contention is a roll-back of health benefits to union members...."

"....it's all up in the air right now.  Dyer says its too early to say for sure whether a work stoppage will happen, but the union is preparing.

He says the union is waiting for Canada Post to give a notification of an intent to lock out. He says they just received their first global offer, which they're not a fan of. But Dyer says it's evidence that Canada Post is taking the negotiations more seriously."

Two positive take aways from that: 

One is that there is only one main point of contention, whereas I thought there were at least 3...so perhaps the others have been resolved to satisfaction, which gives hope for the final issue, I suppose, which doesn't seem all that severe to me.

The other is that CP may be taking negotiations more seriously.

Well, last time around they had Harper in their corner lap dogging along with them. The Minister responsible for CP, Honourable Judy M. Foote is a seasoned political veteran with experience in Industry and trade.

One wonders if she called up Mr Chopra and encouraged him to find a solution.

Photobucket
Message 59 of 114
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

"With all due respect, to state that ebay won't remove negative or neutral feedback due to postal delays during the labour disruption is erroneous and misleading and, dare I say, fearmongering. We don't know that to be the case. There are a number of posters here who are making assumptions and presenting them as fact to support their own decision(s) to close. You know who you are."

If the above was directed at me, I feel I need to clarify that I'm not fear-mongering, quite the opposite.  And I don't recall saying that eBay definitely won't remove any negative/neutral FB due to the CPC strike.  As I implied, pigs may fly and eBay may very well be good for their word this time around.  

I stated what my own decision was, and why, based on nearly 15 years of experience on eBay, having seen many an assurance by eBay staffers come and go, with usually dubious results for sellers.  I'm not in a position to be able to take that risk.  It boils down, for me, to lack of full confidence in eBay's statements, based on their prior history, and a desire not to disappoint my customers when I know I can't provide my usual service.  

I've simply become a realist where eBay is concerned.  I am focused on my customers' satisfaction and on protecting my ability to continue to sell successfully rather than on eBay's pronouncements or their agenda (which in this case is no doubt to prevent a loss of fee income by encouraging Canadian sellers to continue to sell during a postal strike in the absence of viable delivery alternatives at a reasonable price).  

"Here is what we do I know and I am quoting from the Weekly Chat, Raphael's response to my question. The red boldface emphasis is mine. We, as sellers, will need to press for an answer at the next Weekly Session to find out more. My suspicion is that he will say that negative feedback won't automatically be removed but judged on a case-by-case basis. Unlike defects which will be pro-actively prevented as per his announcement." 

Again, with all due respect, we know nothing based on Raphael's responses, except that eBay may be making some sort of accommodation at some point, in some circumstances, based on some criteria that eBay itself will determine.  Where eBay is concerned, the proof is always in the pudding, not in the promises.

Raphael is essentially to eBay Canada what a press spokesperson is to a political party, a spin-doctor.  He has to tread a very careful line, because in my experience eBay rarely, if ever, makes unconditional promises that it stands by for every seller.  And I'm afraid that for me, that just isn't enough.  We can press Raphael all we want, but his word is not law, it's, well, tangent -- sometimes straighter, sometimes very roundabout. 

Ultimately we sellers have to decide how much faith we have in eBay's pronouncements, and whether we're willing to put our businesses on the line based on that faith.  I don't, and so I won't.  That may not be true of everybody.  

"Furthermore, I made my choice to stay open and alter my shipping practises before this announcement was made. Most of you seem to think I am insane for considering that; I don't expect business to be brisk and I will be using the slack to create new listings and catch up on paperwork like the rest of you. (Or even spend time outside with my family.) The difference being that I decided not to let Canada Post make my choices for me."

I don't think it's insane to stay open -- a risk perhaps, but not insane.  It is based on your belief that eBay will protect you, and that's your analysis of this situation.  It also sounds as if you have shipping alternatives available that many of us don't have access to.  

From where I stand, I can't see that the modest possible gain in an occasional sale (even if I had alternative shipping available) during the CPC strike would be worth the risk to my eBay seller status, or worth disappointing my buyers with high shipping costs. After all, what's worse: putting my store on vacation, or expecting a buyer to pay double or triple the shipping cost to get their item via a courier?  Why wouldn't a buyer look elsewhere in that case?  I might as well shut down.  I expect this applies to a lot of Canadian sellers too, but then eBay is worried mainly about losing fee income, not about our buyers.  We have to consider that they will do or say anything to convince us we should keep selling.  

As I've said before, eBay's own behaviour over the years has made a cynic of me.  I do what I have to in order to look after my own interests. Not everybody will see it that way, and they are of course entitled to their views. 

Message 60 of 114
latest reply