My return to selling

I have been solely a buyer on Ebay for several years now, a single unfair feedback knocked me out of the game way back when.

Anyway I have to say I'm not impressed, I wanted to list a single item just to test the waters again, Ebay hit me with all these selling and shipping policies etc. (which I can understand if I was to list alot of items)

Which I just B.S.'d  my way through because .......I'm not a business I just wanted to list one thing. So I  Finally got the item listed

(and yes you certainly do get low rankings in searches as a newbie)

and sold (for far less than it would if I got decent search rankings) and just my luck I got a non paying bidder. So I think I'm out. Selling on here is not worth the hassle unless you have alot of items

Anyone know of a seller or pawn shop that lists and sells items on commission? If not someone should really start a business like that in every city.  You now need "experience" to successfully sell on Ebay and get a fair price. 

Ebay has gone from a place to  EASILY sell  a few items to a huge market (which should sell for more than selling locally) to a website for "as a business" sellers. I'm disappointed.

TO EBAY it would be nice if you started a new branch of the business, sort of back to your roots for the new guy say with maximum 10 listings a month and keep the business sellers out of it, Once the little guy has experience and actually turned a profit on somthing  then you can toss them into the shark filled ocean to either sink or swim on Ebay.

If you generate a positive selling experience more people are going to sell my experience was negative and not worth the hassle.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: My return to selling

selling on ebay is much much harder than they make it out to be.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Good post.

For the same reasons I always have reservations about recommending eBay to new sellers unless they have large inventories and the time to invest in building a reputation and gaining good placement in search results,  Not to mention a steep learning curve in doing so.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

"Anyone know of a seller or pawn shop that lists and sells items on commission"

There was tons of them at one point but they all went out of business.  With the fee they had to charge on top of the ebay fees and shipping it didn't make sense for anyone to use them.  There are a few people still trying to do it from home, and ebay has a new thing in the USA where people will come and pick stuff up.  You could sell stuff at a far lower price locally on a free classified site or even pay an auctioneer  and still end up with more then you could net paying someone else to sell it here

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@westernstargifts wrote:

Good post.

For the same reasons I always have reservations about recommending eBay to new sellers unless they have large inventories and the time to invest in building a reputation and gaining good placement in search results,  Not to mention a steep learning curve in doing so.

I completely agree.  Five or six years ago I would have recommended eBay to anyone who wanted to try making some money online, especially if they had something unique, OOAK or vintage.  Not anymore, for exactly the reasons you mention.  And if I did, I'd strongly advise them to invest in a "Dummies" book, study it cover-to-cover, and then read through everything under the "Sell" tab here. 

More and more, EBay has been showing us that what it really wants are volume sellers who flog the same sort of stuff you can find in any department store. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

eBay wants out of the one-time, garage sale, sellers. They want business minded people. They want sellers operating as a business.

Our OP wants the "old days" back. That is a common refrain and it is not going to happen.

I have never, and will never, recommend eBay to a casual seller. It is a job. It is work.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

eBay wants out of the one-time, garage sale, sellers. They want business minded people. They want sellers operating as a business.

Our OP wants the "old days" back. That is a common refrain and it is not going to happen.

I have never, and will never, recommend eBay to a casual seller. It is a job. It is work.

Can I copy your post and send it to my sister?  She rolls her eyes whenever DH and I mention my eBay "business" and has absolutely no idea how much time and effort it takes to be successful here.

Woman Frustrated

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

not targeting your posts, but....... while I agree that ebays actions and changes are geared towards businesses, they still have their spring and summer ,and I think I saw a winter one for 'selling the stuff in your closet' 

Ebay still pretends that anyone can sell and even markets it.  Experienced sellers know it's not easy at all. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I just got back to selling my junk after a 2 year hiatus and I can't believe what a pain in the keaster its become. Its hard

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

speak of the devil. 

Just got an email to my buying account. This is my ebay account I buy with and I haven't sold on it for 5 years. This is what ebay sends as a message to buyers. It's just that easy. 

Get paid for spring cleaning.

Spring is selling season.

Make money by selling what you no longer need - with free* auction style listings.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

That just goes to show how disconnected ebay is from the reality of selling on this site.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply