OUCH!

A lady in Switzerland bought 3 nouveau fantasy mirrors from me for a total cost of about $90 USD. I packaged them up and sent them off immediately. She requested that I put $30 on the customs form so that she wouldn't have to pay too much duty. Unfortunately, out of consideration for her, I complied. The delivery is supposed to take 4 to 6 weeks but the package hasn't arrived even though it has been almost 8 weeks. A trace indicates that it was processed at a post office in Richmond - and that's it. With $30 on the customs form the insurance would be inadequate to replace the items. I asked the buyer how she'd like to proceed and recommended that she wait based on a few uncommonly late package deliveries I've experienced to the US.

She left me 3 negative feedbacks.

There no longer seems to be a mechanism to respond to these so, to any new prospective buyers, it looks like I simply never sent the merchandise.

I don't know if I expect a response from anyone here but probably just needed to lament.

Bloodied but not bowed,
Marty
Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

OUCH!

deltone
Community Member
Hello Marty. First let me say, so sorry for this buyer doing that to you. Totally unfair.

You CAN respond to her if you go to the bottom of your feedback page you will see the link. (Reply to feedback).

Be factual and make each of the 3 different.

Also, you might want to rethink when you leave feedback for someone as I'm not sure you still feel the same way. But then again, perhaps you do.

Again, sorry this happened to you. 😞
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Good news Marty,

I also thought they had eliminated the response link...they havent. They have just made it very difficult to see. It is way at the bottom of your feedback page, in type link only.

Have Fun!

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

Hi Marty,

I'd proceed with the CP claim, and copy your buyer on all emails - just act as if the negs didn't happen, be polite and professional. When her package turns up (as I'm sure it will eventually) she may feel a little guilty about the negs and agree to a mutual removal.
Good luck with it!
Ann
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

That's what I call a professional response. You did well 🙂

Elaine

Elaine
TimelessClassicElegance
View Elaine Serafini's profile on LinkedIn
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

deltone
Community Member
Excellent Marty!!!
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

Thank-you, so much, for all your advice. I'm continually impressed with the resourse of skill and talent available here.

I've left a response to my negs. That, and going for a quick jog, have made me feel a lot better.

I also called Canada Post but they said they won't even file a claim before 60 days have passed.

I've never utilized Square Trade before. In the event that I have the opportunity to do so am I correct in assuming that I'll be charged $20 USD for each of my 3 listings? If so it rather seems like this is a no-win situation.

Marty
Message 7 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

whoscloset
Community Member
Marty,

It's really not worth the $20 Square Trade charges you any longer as you can achieve the same results with the "mutual feedback removal" as done by eBay without charge. Either way the buyer is going to have to agree to the removal.

You might want to pull her contact info and attempt a phone call (during really off-peak hours to Switzerland, I guess). If the phone number is incorrect, eBay will remove the feedbacks with no cost or problem for you. For a lot of different reasons the buyer's number might not be correct.

Just a thought 🙂

Best of luck,
Monique

Monique

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

deltone
Community Member
Very true Monique. I hope you can get them removed Marty. I seriously doubt those negs will hurt you though. (although they do "hurt" on a personal level). You responded very calmly (something I could take a lesson on) and you made it clear that you did what you could to work with the woman.
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Another thought Marty, and I dont know if I am right about this one...

If she has positives from you, she will have no reason to mutually remove the feedback. So, if the phone number thing doesnt work, then I'd be sure and leave her negatives. They will hurt her more than you, which is NOT the reason you want to do this, rather, it will provide her with a good reason to want to mutually remove the negs....which IS the reason you want to do it.

Just a thought.

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

deltone
Community Member
Jaqui, he already left her positives. :o(
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Ouch indeed!:_|

Jaqui

Gem Am I

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

llee2
Community Member
Marty,

What method did you use to ship these via CP? If the mirrors don't eventually show after 60 days (although I'm sure that they will), then CP will process the insurance claim. If they are in fact lost, then CP will require you to send them proof of value. If the actual value was more than $30 and you have an invoice documenting this, then you should be able to claim the value rather than the $30 (providing the value is less than $100 and you purchased $100 or less of insurance).

Lincoln
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

This buyer is parsimoneous,impatient, and unable to honestly assess responsibility. Of the 3 parties involved in this transaction (CP/her/me) I honestly believe that I'm the least culpable. Inurance to $100 CAD would have been free to this buyer if she hadn't requested the low duty estimate.
The degree to which I am to blame, I believe, is in aquiescing to the request for a low customs estimate. Even though I did it out of compasion it's probably ultimately unlawful, if only in Switzerland. If her negs stand then I'll certainly have disturbing examples to point to should I ever recieve the same request again. Had the customs form been accurate then everything would have been remedied in due course.
My first reaction when I recieved the negs was to write to her and point out that I've been nothing but considerate to her and to plant a seed suggesting that, should the package still arrive, as I'm optimistic it will, then perhaps she could find it in her heart to work together to remove the negs. While she has her shortcomings she's human and may still find mutual feedback removal acceptable without being coerced.
At this time my inclination is still to leave postive feedback upon payment even though buyer impatience is certainly a viable arguement for it's delay.
I don't want to force buyers to do the right thing but rather prefer to encourage them to do so. When successful, and this has been to date, it elevates everyone concerned as opposed to leaving anyone feeling beaten. A decided strength in this regard, I believe, is in behaving as well as I know how and providing the best example I can.
A disadvantage of mutual feedback removal is in that it leaves a record that could appear worse than the facts as related in my response to the negs. It reminds me of a good freind who, when we were young, was arrested for growing three baby marajuana plants. When sufficient time had passed he had his criminal record expunged but wondered whether his record now appeared worse as a cleared criminal record as opposed to the actual misdemeanor-like crime. If best comes to best perhaps future buyers will wonder what nastiness the 3 mutually removed feedbacks represented.
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

Thanks Lincoln,

The actual value was about $60 CAD. Come to think of it, if the package is lost they'll have no knowledge of the declared customs value. This could settle everytning with the buyer, except postage fees. And this could give her a little more incentive to remove those negs.

This discussion group is a good thing!

Marty
Message 15 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

shoplineca
Community Member
As far as value is concerned regarding CP for a claim their rules for payment are quite clear: It is not how much you sold the items for, it is how much they COST YOU.

So chuck the customs forms in the garbage and send CP an invoice for $30 X 3 for a claim being what you paid for the mirrors (You bought them from Aunt Sally didnt you and she wrote you a receipt on a piece of paper right?)

CP cant have it both ways.

Also put in a claim for the shipping charges and neg the crap out of your customer who will probably get the mirror in another 2 weeks.

By the way, you can get into trouble changing values of exported goods with our own government and if caught may find that you may not be allowed to ship into the US let alone to Swizerland.

Several US Sellers have been caught and paid fines after a lengthy audit and got warnings about not being allowed to export if caught again. They would have their corporate status pulled (de-registered).

Malcolm

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

llee2
Community Member
Marty,

Also, if the package is lost, CP will reimburse the postage fees you paid to ship along with the contents' value. Along with proof of value, CP will want a copy of your postage receipt. Wish I could help you with your buyer's lack of common sense...

Lincoln
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

Lincoln,

The postage "Expedited" receipt has the declared customs value of $30 on it. It will be, at least, embarassing to present this to them unless the PO cash register printout is sufficient. If their policy is strictly to reimburse my item costs then perhaps I can endure the embarassment of the disparity in the declared values in order to recover the postage - which was fairly substancial.

Marty
Message 18 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

shoplineca
Community Member
Marty
Call CP's 1-800 number. Tell them you shipped 3 mirrors that cost you $90 and see what, IF ANY, further proof they need to process your claim.
Only be embarrassed in front of your busines associates, friends and relatives. I assure you no CP clerk will care one bit. They are clerks hired to process paper work.
The fact remains that CP's rules are quite clear. They will reimburse you your COST up to the value you insured and with the method you shipped, there is an automatic $100 insurance included plus they will refund your shipping cost.
Malcolm
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

OUCH!

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Marty, I believe the PO cash register receipt is indeed considered sufficient, because it will also have the tracking number info on it. My PO told me I neednt even keep the other reciept...though I personally like to.

Jaqui

Gem Am I

Message 20 of 32
latest reply