Opinions: GTC items, most views before they close or just after renews?

Interested in your thoughts (or facts if this is written down somewhere that I didn't find it).

I  have always operated under the assumption the most views come in the last couple hours before the Good Till Cancelled (GTC) item rolls over, however there seems to be evidence lately that a significant number of views comes after it rolls instead!

The reason it is useful for me to know is with respect to the time I start them. For example say I believe that 10:00 pm is the best time in terms of the most people hanging around in ebayland looking at items. If items get more views as closing time approaches, it is better for me to close them at 10:15 so folks looking at 10:00 have a better chance of seeing them. If items get more views just after they renew, it is better for me to list them at 9:45.

There are so many variables it probably doesn't matter much in the end, but I am interested in other's opinions/facts if they are willing to share them....

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Go to My eBay -> Applications and subscribe to the Free Listing Analytics.  Then you can check how many impressions, clicks and sold you have for some of your listings and you can also make a graph.

Then you will be able to see what your listings are doing and perhaps draw some conclusions from the analytic.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I think extra views at the beginning or ending of a listings is caused by buyers who search by newly listed or ending soonest.The extra views are because of these buyer search habits rather than eBay giving you item a significant boost in visibility. Especially for GTC listings.

If you use GTC to auto relist a single quantity OOAK item, then it may drop in visibility because of a lack of sales to boost it. GTC listings with Quantity and sales get an eBay boost.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I just tried Listing Analytics and for most of my active listings, I am getting no results. I have not tried in a long time. It used to work reasonably well a year ago.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

"...assumption the most views come in the last couple hours before the Good Till Cancelled (GTC) item rolls over"

Just an assumption, nothing more.

I spent much time analysing timing of viewing and timing of purchase of my store items (mostly GTC) over the years.  Long time readers may remember I usually had 3,000+ items in my store at all times, resulting in over 105.700 sales over the year.  That number is sufficient to create a legitimate average. 

At the end of the day, I determined there is no pattern causing sales to increase or not when it comes to fixed price items.

Buyers will buy the item when they see it, want it and can afford it.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

THX to all those who've shared so far!

Certainly trying to understand the dynamics under what lets people "see" stuff now or in the past seems insurmountable. Even if one did figure it out, the ongoing human behaviours and eBay generated changes would change it again!

As a note, it has been clear in my observations that an item, with lots of items, views and sales gets very high ranking in terms of being put in front of people.

This lot is an example 221222998600 The seller regularly relists it (must be exactly as it is) and when he does, it almost always shows at the top of searches because of the high views/sales ratio it retains. It tends to generate a lot of work and risk in terms of feedbacks but they sure move a lot of stamps every time they relist it - usually they close it early because it has already generated too many sales (aka work). They've been using it for a long time now successfully. My similar style lots do ok, but move slower because I can't afford the time/effort it takes to sell wee lots like theirs.

Anyway looking forward to hearing other thoughts ideas if others have!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply