Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

I am a stamp dealer with anchor store. I have almost 4,000 GTC listings as of today. Needless to say, this latest announcement has me very concerned about the amount of extra work that will be involved for me. You see this business is 100% of my livelihood. I am in a race against time to list all my stock in my store. If I have to spend days or weeks converting listings, that could kill my business. 

I did call customer service yesterday, but of course I got routed to a call centre in the Philippines. I mean no disrespect at all - the person I spoke to was very polite, but entirely unhelpful in explaining to me how this change would work. They told me that all my existing listings would remain in USD. I now see that was not true: I have to convert them by August 1. 

I looked at the tool being developed and my concern is that while the conversion of existing listings is easy, it does not automatically end the existing listings. I do not understand for the life of me why you would develop a tool that required sellers to do ANY extra work, unless you planned on compensating them in some way. It seems to me like the tool should simply convert the existing listings to CDN - not create duplicates so that I now have to go end the listings. I have no idea how I would do that without a TON of time being spent. Please explain it to me clearly because the information I read did not make that clear at all. 

I know that moving to E-bay.com was outlined as an option, but on that I have two concerns:

1. When the time comes to charge sales tax, which for me is about 6 months away, it will complicate things, as I will not be able to opt out of charging tax. 

2. I'm pretty sure that selling on Ebay.com constitutes doing business in the US for purposes of the IRS. Given that my business is incorporated, I do not want the complication of having to prepare both US and Canadian tax filings. 

I know that the change is still a few months away. But as of now, I am uncertain as to how to proceed: do I continue to list in US and then covert everything over to .com? Do I start listing in CDN now? Will the tool be tweaked in such a way that I can have the whole thing done in a day? I can live with a day of downtime, but more than that will cost me very dearly in terms of lost productivity. 

I can see a lot of anger here on this board. I read through all 15 pages of comments and I have to say that I am dismayed by the flippant and dismissive responses I have seen from E-bay brass to seller's concerns. I understand that not everybody here was polite in expressing their frustration, but the sellers have raised some excellent points about why this was not well thought out. Sometimes analyzing data can be misleading because correlation does not imply causation. In order to validly study causation, you must control for all the factors that could influence buyer choices, which is of course completely impossible. I believe that the increase in sales for sellers listing in CDN is simply because most of us do not have the time to bulk edit our listings, so when the exchange rate drops, things become a better deal for US and CDN buyers. Full stop, end of story. If all listings automatically convert everything and show the buyer's home currency as they already do, then it shouldn't make any difference what currency we use for our listings. That is, if you assume that buyers actually read this much detail. 

As a buyer on E-bay (where do you think I get my stock?), I can tell you this isn't the case, I review probably upwards of 10,000 listings a week looking for items to purchase for stock. I look only at the price, the scan and the condition. I don't look at the shipping or anything else because I don't have time. Several times I've gotten stung by the GSP because the listing on my phone showed "free shipping" when it wasn't. So my belief is that over the long run this will cause me and other sellers to make less money. 

What is beginning to concern me is the number of changes that E-bay is introducing by fiat. It is making the e-bay platform an unstable place in which to do business. It is very difficult to make a viable business plan and follow it when the rules are constantly being changed and the changes do not seem to be to the seller's benefit. Just because buyers want something doesn't mean that the marketplace should always give it to them. This way of thinking is unique to North America and it has resulted in a complete culture of consumer entitlement and race-to-the-bottom economics in terms of price being the only thing that matters: not quality of service, timeliness, product knowledge, and the other intangible elements that businesses used to be able to use to distinguish themselves.  Things don't work this way in Europe for example. Nothing in Europe is free. Absolutely nothing -as it should be. Why should I have to offer free shipping?It is not mandatory now, but I'll bet that in another 2 or three years, it will be a requirement to selling on e-bay. That is fine if your customer spends $30 at a time. But what if he buys one thing for 99c and you have to pay 85c to ship it for free?

I really wish that this company was interested in actually sitting down and working with those of us with viable business plans and models that want to partner with E-bay to grow our businesses. But it seems like it isn't. I can't talk to anyone who has a clue, and given that I pay $500 a month in fees now, it seems like I should be able to. 

Message 301 of 1,448
latest reply

USD is the only Reason we are able to make money on E-bay!

If you take this away from us, it will be disastrous for you and us!

As far as I'm concerned you just gave us all our Walking Notice June 1st.

Message 302 of 1,448
latest reply

@lisella64 wrote:

Yes they have asked us periodically of what we think about Ebay in general. However I truly believe they have never listened. If they had, they would have fixed the Shopping Cart for Canadians years ago (I now seldom ever sell more than one item at a time because when the customer uses the Shopping Cart, the system will throw them out at the very end of their selection and tell the customer that the Seller does not combine items!). In my shop as in others, this is a complete lie and is hurting us daily by losing sales. I have always combined items from day one I opened a shop in Ebay.

And unfortunately this change will not address that issue, as confirmed by Rodney. His other comments indicate it will allow other features to move forward faster but not this crucial one. I understand this to a degree but I also have enough experience dealing with site reporting and feature implementation with multiple currencies to know that technically it is not difficult to code to adjust values to a base currency with a simple table lookup or api call to any number of exchange rate providers. Not sure what to make of this to be honest as it seems to be more of an internal politics issue that the Canadian team is fighting to get features implemented.

If Ebay fears Canadian sellers now make a bit of extra money due to the Canadian Dollar tanking - think again: As a crafts person, I purchase 90% of my supplies from the USA in US dollars. I already have a store in Etsy, but I must admit, Etsy and even Amazon.ca is beginning to look more attractive every day. The only question I have: Why is Ebay so determined to destroy a good thing? I just don't get it.  And by the way, the Shopping Cart at Amazon.ca, works perfectly!

I would have to guess their focus group participants are more likely to be sourcing inventory in CAD. Many of us are transacting in USD due our sourcing (as well as primary selling market). Most of us can put on the big boy pants and adjust USD pricing for fx swings as well as book currency gains or losses as needed.

Message 303 of 1,448
latest reply

@martmaduke wrote:

Can we please get Canada Post as an option for calculated shipping on Ebay.com?

They are refusing to do this and Rodney has not elaborated on why. More transparency here would be appreciated.

Message 304 of 1,448
latest reply

"Please have the courtesy to give eBay Canada staff some time to review the hundred comments that came in overnight. If you woke to 123 new messages from buyers in your inbox, wound you have a thoughtful answer to each one in 20 minutes?" -------------------------------------------------- Maybe if Ebay Canada didn't make moronic decisions they wouldn't have to wake up to 123 question. Eh?
Message 305 of 1,448
latest reply

Oh and just to clarify things... 

I did your little automated 3 question survey that chooses what site is better for me. 

It claims that items in my category sell 5% higher when listed in Canadian Dollars. 

Been there Done that.... Try 98% LOWER

and thats a FACT

Message 306 of 1,448
latest reply

US and international buyers are used to paying in USD and typically do not convert to realize that CAN is cheaper for them. Currently I can make an extra 30% which you're now about to snatch away from me. That and the high rates from eBay. Yup, time to find another venue to sell.

Message 307 of 1,448
latest reply

So I can "migrate" my items to ebay.com and continue to list in USD?  And thanks for turning me into an economic migrant.

How can I ship from Canada if I do this?

Message 308 of 1,448
latest reply

@canadiangemstamps wrote:

2. I'm pretty sure that selling on Ebay.com constitutes doing business in the US for purposes of the IRS. Given that my business is incorporated, I do not want the complication of having to prepare both US and Canadian tax filings. 

This is an important consideration that would merit some clarification by ebay.

Message 309 of 1,448
latest reply

@m.rbell wrote:

So I can "migrate" my items to ebay.com and continue to list in USD?  And thanks for turning me into an economic migrant.

How can I ship from Canada if I do this?

The more pertinent question is how you are going to be able to easily manage your shipping prices given you will have no access to Canadian shipping service API's and will have to manage everything through flat shipping. That may be workable depending on what you sell.

Message 310 of 1,448
latest reply

This is to force Canadian sellers to use EBAY.COM. Why you ask? Because they want to force us to do the stupid 30 day return policy.  Ebay is supposed to be an AUCTION site but in a REAL auction you can't cancel bids or return 30 days later. It has brought down the value of all our items. Beyond the fact that high volume chinese sellers can have HORRIBLE customer service but it all averages out because of their volume. Ebay is a big disappointment and this is just another one of their lies. No Canadians would want this to happen unless they are small time sellers who don't know how important our US customers are. 

Message 311 of 1,448
latest reply

Then ask ebay your own question and not respond to mine.  I would like an answer from ebay and then I can figure out how I'm going to handle it.

Message 312 of 1,448
latest reply

If you chose to only sell in Ebay.ca 1. You will only receive CDN currency. If you also buy on Ebay, you will likely have to convert back to USD since many Canadians buy in in US. 2. You will no longer be able to manage timing as to when and if you want to exchange currency. 3. The price of your item will constantly change in the eyes of a US buyer due to fluctuating exchange. 4. If you purchase goods in USD your margin will change with the fluctuating dollar and possibly force you to adjust pricing.. If you chose to only sell on Ebay.com 1. You will not be able to use "Print Shipping Label" tool from the Ebay.com seller manager interface as it does not support CPC. You will likely have to to go directly to PayPal, find your transaction and print that way. 2. You will loose some Canadian buyers as they won't want to convert. 3. Your shipping cost will vary for Canadian buyers with exchange and offering free shipping will eat into your margins. If you use both sites to manage your inventory 1. As far as I can tell, you will have to contend with two separate ebay store interfaces and tools. 2. You'll constantly be burdened with listing links bumping you to the wrong site. Questions, arise. Will the USD listings be only visible on the com site and CDN on the ca site using Selling Manager Pro?. Can ALL the listings (com & ca) be managed from Selling Manager Pro on Ebay.ca? (Relisting, editing, etc...) Can PayPal shipping labels be bought and printed for listings listed on Ebay.com through seller manager on Ebay.ca (They can't through Ebay.com). Can a listing be created destined for an Ebay.com site using USD from Selling Manager Pro on Ebay.ca? If so how will you make the template options functional? How will Turbo Lister be impacted?
Message 313 of 1,448
latest reply

@fashionfan1998 wrote:

This is to force Canadian sellers to use EBAY.COM. Why you ask? Because they want to force us to do the stupid 30 day return policy.  Ebay is supposed to be an AUCTION site but in a REAL auction you can't cancel bids or return 30 days later. It has brought down the value of all our items. Beyond the fact that high volume chinese sellers can have HORRIBLE customer service but it all averages out because of their volume. Ebay is a big disappointment and this is just another one of their lies. No Canadians would want this to happen unless they are small time sellers who don't know how important our US customers are. 

You don't have to offer 30 day returns to qualify as a global TRS.

Message 314 of 1,448
latest reply

I'll be closing my account as soon as possible. I sell NFL card's which all go to the US, they do not want to buy from me in Canadian dollars. So basically this destroyed my business.
Message 315 of 1,448
latest reply

Do you really think anyone believes that you did focus groups with Canadian Sellers on this? If that were the case, you wouldn't be making these changes because I have yet to meet a Canadian Seller that likes these changes.

Message 316 of 1,448
latest reply

I like them. 

Message 317 of 1,448
latest reply

@vandlquinn wrote:

That's exactly what I'm wondering. If we are only allowed to sell in Canadian, they should bill us in Canadian.

You set the currency your eBay fees are billed in (currently your choice of US$ or CA$) for your eBay,ca account. It's one of those not so easy to find settings for your account.

Message 318 of 1,448
latest reply

Is that true ? I'd never take returns or refunds on anything no money to be made

Message 319 of 1,448
latest reply

So if my auctions are changed from USD to CDN, does that mean that an auction listed at $100 USD now becomes an auction listed at $100 CDN, because that would be a $30 difference at the current exchange. Is this "new tool" going to the allow the seller to easily adjust the price to reflect the exchange difference, so that, for example, I can easily change a $100 USD auction to $130 CDN?

Message 320 of 1,448
latest reply