Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: USD billing for CAD sales?

@pierrelebel wrote:

"CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MY SALES DOUBLE OR TRIPLE '

Maybe you expect too much!  eBay is constantly referring to improvements in the range of 5% to 15% only..  Smiley Happy

Thats.......HUGE! ahahahaha!

We will see? or will we? ....NOT!

robottongue:!

Message 541 of 1,448
latest reply

The tool won't be ready for quite some time... long after the promotion is over 😞  

I just spoke to eBay to confirm

Message 542 of 1,448
latest reply

Your missed the part where I said 'primary currency'.

Message 543 of 1,448
latest reply

Within the email Canadians should have received from ebay regarding this change it states;

"We recognize that this change may be difficult for some sellers to manage, so we're building a tool to help you to identify your affected listings and convert them to CAD, or move them to eBay.com, in bulk."

This leads me to beg the question - WHEN will the tool be ready???

We are into that specific promotion period now and it would be nice if the tool was in place to start re-lists in bulk rather than wasting time one by one!

List free – up to 100,000, 30-day fixed price listings
Pay no insertion fees on 100k listings when Canadian Dollar is specified as the currency.
Available at ebay.ca,cafr.ebay.ca
24/03/16 16:05:26 EDT
09/05/16 23:59:59 EDT
Message 544 of 1,448
latest reply

May 2, 2016 the tool will be ready for use.

It is in the links they provided.

Message 545 of 1,448
latest reply

You guys going worse every time!

Too bad!

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 546 of 1,448
latest reply

So for now are we having to edit our thousand of listings one by one???  

Thankfully we started selling outside of eBay in other worldwide marketplaces over 2 years ago - these newer sites are like a breath of fresh air - simpler to run with greater sales and lower fees!  So instead of growing on eBay,  we have just been re-listing our unsold items here until things improve.  I continue to marvel at how eBay DISEMPOWERS its sellers becoming a very complicated and time consuming place to grow a business. eBay's bulk listing tools, store front, reports etc.. are also very outdated or limited. There's got to be a better way forward for eBay than this!

Message 547 of 1,448
latest reply

Thank you!  I was looking on the right side of the page under "My eBay" and was not able to find.  Now I see after you pointed out.

Message 548 of 1,448
latest reply

Thank you for putting up a tool in like 41 days AFTER you took the decision. The tool should had been ready the day you sent us the message, since you already made up your decision and we can't do anything else than accept it!
Message 549 of 1,448
latest reply

will eBay make a tool to use in Turbo Lister to do the conversion to eBay.com site for all my listing?

Message 550 of 1,448
latest reply

You are right about the drop that took more than a year. For some reason I was convinced it happened at the beginning of 2016. Still, since the beginning of the year, CAD lost 10 cents and gained about 15. This is extremely volatile. For items with 1-week duration it may be good, but not for 30-days or GTC. I don't want to end up recalculating my price every relist. And neither do I want to readjust my shipping charges.

Have a few leftover to relist, will give a try in CAD. At least I could say I've tried.

Still VERY unhappy, whatever the tool, gift, promotion, reduction they are offering me to list in CAD.

Plus, like many said, selling in USD not only allow us to squeeze extra money from the currency exchange, but I'm still not convinced all US buyers will like the extra 3 percents from currency exchange.

I never use shipping calculator. Flat rate price to Canada, flat rate price to US. I keep them as close as possible to true cost. My main issue will be tax... I have yet to see a way to charge sales tax on ebay.com

Seen interesting references to Bonanza and Etsy in various posts. May end up giving them a try...
Message 551 of 1,448
latest reply

If I switch all of my listings to ebay.com can i still use the paypal shipping with canada post???? Does anyone know???

Why is ebay doing this . I am so disappointed in them. Its causing so many problems for people. Id like to see the focus group videos. Did they pluck out the only people selling on CAD dollars to do it . Did they ask the majority of people who sell in USD what they think?

I dont see my sales increasing by listing in CAD dollars for US buyers. NO WAY!!

Message 552 of 1,448
latest reply

@canadiangemstamps wrote:

1. Are Canadian sellers, at any point going to be forced to adopt the Global Shipping Program?

2. Will selling on ebay.com constitute doing business in the U.S. for tax purposes?

3. Will selling on e-bay.com require Canadian sellers to adhere to unrealistic American delivery times in order to avoid customers recording a late shipment, which counts as a transaction defect?

1. GSP is only available on eBay.com for USA based sellers. Sellers outside the US do not qualify unless they ship from the USA. Same goes for GSP on eBay.co.uk -- it is only available to UK based sellers. Using GSP is a choice of the seller, it is not a requirement.

2. Not that I've noticed. I'm a Canadian exporting my stuff into the USA. I'm not based in the USA and do not ship from the USA. I'm not a USA citizen or a USA company. 

3. The generic flat rate shipping choices on eBay.com give time ranges you need to meet when shipping to the USA, Pick what works best for your items.

11 to 23 business days -  Economy Shipping from outside US
6 to 10 business days - Standard Shipping from outside US

1 to 10 business days - Economy Shipping

1 to 6 business days - Standard Shipping
1 to 4 business days - Expedited Shipping from outside US

I recommend the using the "from outside US" choices to remind the buyer where it's coming from.

Message 553 of 1,448
latest reply

@jackets_and_gems wrote:

If I switch all of my listings to ebay.com can i still use the paypal shipping with canada post????

Yes.

The shipping choices available to Canadians on eBay.com are generic flat rate (no shipper info, and no calculated shipping). But if you have a sale you can still buy Canada Post shipping through PayPal.

-.-

I've been using both eBay.CA and eBay,COM ever since I learned that the monthly free shipping allotment was effectively doubled when I used both sites.

-.-

Message 554 of 1,448
latest reply

I appreciate these answers, though I am still not convinced that listing on .com does not constitute doing business in the US (I am a CPA by the way). The general test is conducting business through a permanent establishment in the US. I would think that since e-bay has separate sites set up in other countries, that in order to NOT be doing business in the US, you would have to be registered on the site of your home country. I don't for certain - the law is extremely complex. But I would tread very lightly before just moving everything over to .com. 

Message 555 of 1,448
latest reply

No they only asked buyers , why would they ask us the sellers who pay ??

Message 556 of 1,448
latest reply

@jkhayes wrote:

... US Ebay doesn`t recognize the high postage rates needed to send from Canada. It has limits on postage amounts.  ....

Only certain categories have shipping limits, in particular: Books, DVDs & Movies, Music, and Video Games categories.  This a case of eBay matching the A-river site's shipping policy for those categories.

There should be no limits on the items you currently have for sale.

Message 557 of 1,448
latest reply

@canadiangemstamps wrote:

I appreciate these answers, though I am still not convinced that listing on .com does not constitute doing business in the US (I am a CPA by the way). The general test is conducting business through a permanent establishment in the US. I would think that since e-bay has separate sites set up in other countries, that in order to NOT be doing business in the US, you would have to be registered on the site of your home country. I don't for certain - the law is extremely complex. ...

But listing on eBay.com does NOT require you switch your eBay registration.

I list on both eBay.ca and eBay.com -- my home site has always been eBay.ca

Message 558 of 1,448
latest reply

@deemar_a wrote:

No they only asked buyers , why would they ask us the sellers who pay ??

Buyers pay the money, successful sellers then share that money with eBay.

Message 559 of 1,448
latest reply

(Thank you ypdc–dennis for taking the time to thoughtfully answer these questions from other sellers.)
Message 560 of 1,448
latest reply