Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

"Ebay claims that Sellers who use free shipping do better"

That claim is quite correct.

Message 861 of 1,448
latest reply

ALL of the changes they have made in the last few years on ebay have been VERY counter to sellers. This is pretty much my last straw. Done with selling anything on ebay. They have made it way more work than its worth!

Message 862 of 1,448
latest reply

me too and its been that way for over 10 years
Message 863 of 1,448
latest reply

Well this is the final straw. I am done with Ebay constantly sticking it to Canadians. First we got hit with your con job scam GSP with your partner PitneyBowes that quit frankly boasts ebays, and paypals bottom line and out right rips off Canadian purchasers. Not sure how a company can get away without providing legal documentation that is required by all shipping companies. They re-wrap packages to make it weigh less yet charge more. If buying multiple items from a GSP seller you guessed it no deal on shipping you pay EACH TIME really! 2 paper clips all the GSP fees and import charges NICE!

Now the CAD dollar only is the icing on the cake. You can tell CANADIANS buy mainly from US sellers, this was the one way we could recoup being ripped off from US sellers. Not anymore. Why are there no import charges and duties if a Canadian seller ships to the USA. Ebay is quick to make up imaginary numbers for Canadian sellers that are over inflated and wrong!

The last 5 years ebay has turned into an outright joke no longer about buyers and sellers and all about corporate greed. Call me stupid but not blind!

Adios Ebay off to Amazon and any other site that doesn't rip us off!

Message 864 of 1,448
latest reply

Haha guess you never bought from a US seller with GSP. Level playing field? I'll have what you're smoking..
Message 865 of 1,448
latest reply

10% off big deal.....

Message 866 of 1,448
latest reply

"Why are there no import charges and duties if a Canadian seller ships to the USA."

That has nothing to do with eBay.

The Canadian government (not eBay or any other online retailer or wholesaler) requires payment of GST/HST by Canadian importers (buyers) when purchasing by mail goods with a value of Cdn$ 20.00

Here is the link to the Government of Canada site:  http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Americans, on the other hand, do NOT have to worry about such things as there is no national sales tax in the USA, the only industrialized country in the world without a national sales tax.

" paypals bottom line and out right rips off Canadian purchasers."

PayPal is an independent company that has nothing to do with eBay.

Message 867 of 1,448
latest reply

Very well said.

Message 868 of 1,448
latest reply

@tch_ca wrote:

I would love to see Amazon get into the auction business. They have the money, infrastructure and the size to compete against ECrap. Raphael also claims Ebay has  "compelling" data that sellers listing in CDN do far better then ones listing in USD. I would call on Ebay to make that data public because many sellers will disagree. I for one list in both and have significant sales data that points otherwise, especially for US centric products. It's no different the previous Ebay claims that Sellers who use free shipping do better. Hog wash!!!! Also 43 pages of this thread says something about the decision as a whole....

You realize amzn has had their sites be single currency forever?  If you wanted to switch there and use US$, its much harder then it will be here.  You'd have to get a bank/address in the USA to sell on .com (Where you'd have zero CAN sales) as US$ has never existed on their .ca.  Of course amzn has and continues to grow much faster then ebay

Message 869 of 1,448
latest reply

that's not completely true, Canadians can purchase on amazon US, it's just the shipping charges on the Can site are lower and on the Canada site  you see all the US sellers that ship to Canada.  There are many US sellers on amazon that ship internationally. 

Message 870 of 1,448
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@velvetfinch wrote:

I think the most unsettling part of this thing is the fact that we will lose the the ability to set a psychologically appealing price point for US buyers (the vast majority of buyers)  Since prices will fluctuate constantly based on the CAD/USD conversion, prices will end up looking 'messy' and 'unappealing' to US buyers.  [...] consider seeing something with a price of  $13.17 vs. a price of $12.99.  Which one looks better? There is a very clear correlation between price points and purchasing, it is basic Selling 101.

That is a valid retail pricing point of view, but it is far less applicable in the context of a competitive online marketplace where your listings appear adjacent to others, in price competition. On eBay, the best price is usually the lowest price even if it ends in .17

I've just slogged through 44 pages of this thread, and although there are misunderstandings by sellers as to the downsides of listing in $Cdn, this isn't one of them.  Rodney's reply does not address the crux of the issue.  Fluctuation in price display on .com is my biggest worry (and, frankly, source of anger), but for a slightly different reason than 'velvetfinch'.  

I am speaking as a seller with several years on eBay, listing exclusively in $US on .ca (and more recently .com as well), selling consistently over 90% to US customers, and with 100% US competitors.  Although my volume is fairly low, I regularly sell items in the $100 to $300 US price range.  Anyone with any experience in marketing knows that price point, and staying on top of competitors' pricing, is absolutely key.  It's critical for Canadians whose main competitors are U.S. sellers.  

What Rodney's answer doesn't consider is that, if you research your U.S. competitors (and honestly, which of us doesn't have U.S. competitors, or Canadian competitors who list in $US?), and decide on a competitive price point for a product, you want that price to remain fixed until you choose to change it, not until fluctuations in your currency change the way it's displayed.  This is called control over your business.  

So if you decide today that US$29.95 is a better price than your closest competitor's price of US$32.00, and you list in $US, you don't have to monitor or change that pricing until it becomes necessary to do so for your own reasons.  The price remains at US$29.95 to your US buyers until you purposefully alter it. If that price (plus a great shipping price, or free shipping), puts you at the top of the "best price" display on eBay, you stay there until someone else comes along with a better price, at which time you can re-set your price to stay on top. 

On the other hand, if you list the same item in equivalent $Cdn, at say $37.00 (using a 1.25 conversion rate), it may be shown today on .com as $29.95, but what about next week, or even tomorrow?  If the Canadian dollar continues to rise, so does your converted price.  What does that say to a buyer who puts the item on his/her watch list, and goes back to purchase later?  Price hike -- and a very arbitrary looking price hike at that.  Remember, too, that the conversion price hike will also apply to your stated shipping cost. 

If the Cdn dollar falls, your prices may look like more of a bargain from week to week for US buyers, but the disconcerting yo-yo effect of prices bouncing up and down may not engender your customers' confidence in you. 

Now the issue of what the actual price looks like may seem irrelevant to Rodney, but marketing studies have consistently shown that displayed price does matter.  For example, regardless of whether, let's say $29.87 is actually lower than, say, $29.95, a "jumbled-up" or less psychologically familiar number is going to be more complicated for the buyer to digest quickly, especially when that buyer is scanning quickly down a list.  

This may be even more true if a U.S. buyer is expecting to see common US dollar price points, or if the price looks "foreign" because it's been converted from another currency.  

The other serious, related concerns with regard to listing in $Cdn and selling mainly to U.S. buyers are: 

1)  Best Offer -- I've use Best Offer a lot, with great success.  However, I'm certain this will cause trouble if I'm listing in $Cdn.  My US buyers may find it difficult to calculate an offer based on a $Cdn listing (while accounting for shipping on top of the offered price), especially if the displayed $US equivalent is fluctuating from day to day.  On an item listed for over $200 Cdn, that fluctuation could be significant.  So far, being able to list Best Offer in $US has kept calculations simple for both me and my buyers. 

2) Double invoicing -- This is a necessary evil if a buyer purchases a number of items at a time that are in two different currencies ($US and $Cdn).  Sending two separate invoices makes no difference to me, but it's an inconvenience and complication that may confuse or irritate some buyers, especially those who are new to eBay or relatively unsophisticated in terms of international buying and the realities of currency conversions. 

3)  Buyer conversion fees  - I am concerned that my mainly U.S. buyers will be subject to conversion fees when buying my items that are listed in $Cdn.  Sooner or later, no doubt at least some of those buyers will notice the extra charges, and may either complain after the fact, or expect lower prices to compensate.  

In summary, these are not minor considerations for those of us Canadian sellers whose primary market is in the U.S.  Any seller who currently sells mainly to the U.S. should consider these issues before switching to $Cdn. 

I've accepted that the switch to $Cdn on .ca is a fait accompli and that all I can do is try to survive it.  However, without providing access to the data (and the statistical methods and sampling base) behind eBay's decision-making in this regard, there is absolutely no way to know whether the change is a sound decision for the reasons eBay claims it is.    

Actually I strongly suspect that all the emphasis on "studies" and "focus groups" is smoke and mirrors to placate sellers and obscure the reality that this is essentially a cost-saving move for eBay rather than a means of helping Canadian sellers.  Seen from the perspective of long-term cutting of costs, it makes far more sense to put a whole segment of sellers through the wrenching and deeply upsetting process of completely re-tooling their businesses.  

The truth is that fewer choices and reduced control over one's own business can only be a disadvantage for sellers.  The upside for eBay however is that many, many Canadian sellers will migrate over to .com as a result of this change, which will no doubt simplify eBay's operations in the longer run.  

Perhaps if Rodney or Raphael ever return to this thread they can explain why it is that eBay has never adopted $US as the sole listing currency across all its sites.  Most people outside the United States understand very well the value of their country's currency in relation to the U.S. dollar.  Why the need for the complication of several currencies in the first place? 

Message 871 of 1,448
latest reply

Welcome back.  Long time no see.

Message 872 of 1,448
latest reply

good summary, you didn't mention buyers who pay with chequing/savings accounts who pay transaction fees and would be charge 2 fees instead of one for 2 invoices because they would not be able to combine them into their paypal payment

Message 873 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Welcome back.  Long time no see.

Thank you Pierre!  

I've been absent because I've been trying to ramp up my design business (sadly, I must admit, I've been focusing most of my efforts on another, far more amenable site than this one, as I've more or less given up trying to "fight City Hall" here.  All the discussion and pleading seems to lead nowhere really, except sucking away my time like a huge irritating vacuum cleaner that won't turn off).  

The past year or so has just been one roadblock, complication, or restriction of one kind or another on eBay, and this one (forced $Cdn on .ca) is more or less the final straw.  I finally had to admit to myself that the majority of my efforts are realistically better placed elsewhere.  I'm not truly convinced in any case that eBay wants my kind of "boutique" business anymore, despite the pronouncements from Wenig in 2015.  

I do expect I'll continue to drop in from time to time on these boards.  If my husband and I take a planned trip to visit my elderly aunt in Picton, Ontario, next summer, I may look you up and say hello in person! 

Message 874 of 1,448
latest reply

@rainbow71113 wrote:

good summary, you didn't mention buyers who pay with chequing/savings accounts who pay transaction fees and would be charge 2 fees instead of one for 2 invoices because they would not be able to combine them into their paypal payment

Yes, you're quite right, that is another consideration for many sellers, although not specifically for me.  I can't recall that I've ever had a buyer pay by cheque, oddly enough, even years ago.  

Message 875 of 1,448
latest reply

"why it is that eBay has never adopted $US as the sole listing currency across all its sites. "

Please allow me to express my opinion on that question (sorry Rodney and Raphael - I do not mean to substitute for you).

Way back in the last century eBay had one site (eBay.com) and one currency (US$).  Quickly foreigners (Canadian, British, Germans, French, Australians, etc...) started listing on the site,  These foreigners we also buyers.  And eBay grew very quickly attracting buyers and sellers from all over the globe.

However, many foreign buyers resisted purchasing from their fellow citizens and having to pay currency conversion fees when it was not necessary to do so.  So eBay opened eBay.uk where both sellers and buyers could transact in Sterling (£).  Immediate success!  Folks loved it. 

Then the Germans asked for the same thing - their currency and their language.  OK - Once gain, immediate success. 

Then the French etc...  We all know the rest of the story.  It made sense to allow worldwide buyers and sellers - accounting for more than 50% of all eBay's transactions - to buy and pay in their own currency. 

While the US$ may be a dominant currency around the world, reality is that Americans constitute less than 5% of the world population.

Eventually eBay-Canada was born.  Here eBay did something different and created a unique site with two currencies (Cdn$ and US$). Eventually it added the French sister site (.cafr).

Now it is retrenching as far as eBay-Canada is concerned so it will  become a single domestic currency site like all other eBay sites.  It will continue with two languages (as experienced elsewhere).

If we look at the online world at large, you will notice that most large online retailer sell in the currency of the buyers - Walmart Canada sells in Cdn$, etc...  For eBay to turn back the clock fifteen years - against the trend - does not make sense to me.

As Canadians we should take pride in our ability to offer Canadian buyers the ability to purchase in their own currency just as we can offer foreigners the ability to pay in their own currency.

OK - Raphael and Rodney - take a shot at it! Smiley Happy

Message 876 of 1,448
latest reply

I've had a few, mind you, less in the last couple of years but because I do crafts I get a lot of little old ladies who don't want to use credit cards.  Even some buyers who don't get charged will be wondering if they are getting combined shipping because they have to pay for 2 shipping rates- this is the biggest issue with my buyers- they have merged their paypal and ebay accounts and so it makes them pay immediately instead of being able to request an invoice.  I'm constantly refunding overpayments..one as high as $86- that buyer got into such a rhythm that even though I was sending her emails to stop until I could figure out the shipping, she kept right on going.  The only resolution for those buyers is to call paypal to have them unlinked and it takes a few days.  (This linking was at the time when ebay was promoting faster payment transactions for buyers- there was this attractive button to link the accounts, almost did it myself)

Message 877 of 1,448
latest reply

@westernstargifts wrote:

I have one question that could be the single determining factor in choosing the site on which I will sell.

If I list in USD on .com will the shopping cart work for my customers?

I believe that the shopping cart issue is a huge factor in the drop in sales that I have experienced resulting in very few multiple sales.  Most of the multiple sales I do get are all paid for separately resulting in more work and higher costs of running my business.

I would migrate my listings to .com for that reason alone. 

I can answer that question for you, as it appears the eBay.ca staffers aren't responding anymore on this thread.  

The answer is that if you list exclusively on .com (in $US of course), the shopping cart will work for both your U.S. buyers and your Canadian buyers who may be logged onto either .com or .ca (because the .ca cart is more flexible).  I can't speak to international buyers specifically, but I suspect many of them will log onto .com anyway to buy, in which case the cart will work.  

I can say this with certainty because several months ago I gave up hoping eBay would solve the "cart disconnect", and moved my items that historically attracted multi-item purchases onto the .com site.  Since then, I've had a number of regular multiple sales, and U.S. buyers have had no problem even combining items to get my promotional (automated) shipping.  It was a revelation and a thing of beauty, after more than 2 years of being worried about lost sales or struggling with buyers' issues over checking out multi-item purchases -- not to mention losing money constantly in FVFs when I refunded excess shipping. 

I've listed in $US exclusively on .ca for years, and still have a number of one-off items listed on .ca.  If I want to continue to list those items on the .ca site, but am forced to list in $Cdn, then there will be additional checkout issues if my .com buyers attempt to add one of those items to a U.S. cart order because of the different currencies (i.e. double invoicing required).  So it won't only be a "cart disconnect" at the buyer's end, but also an invoicing complication at the seller end.  

I neglected to specifically mention the continuing cart/checkout problem to the summary of issues I posted above, but it's a real problem that will no doubt confuse and irritate potential buyers.  More of that kind of thing I certainly don't need, so I may ultimately switch everything over to .com, and just give up on the other perks and benefits I've had by listing on the .ca site.  

By the way, I absolutely agree with you that the cart problem has been the source of lost sales.  In fact, nobody can actually measure how great that loss is, since we'll never know how many buyers may have tried in vain to make a multi-item order, given up, and gone elsewhere.  

My feeling is that U.S. buyers in particular expect to see easy, seamless checkout, and are used to the .com cart which functions smoothly and predictably for them.  Why wouldn't they go back to buy from a U.S. seller who can deliver exactly that after struggling to make checkout work with a Canadian seller?  You can't blame them. 

This decision to force $Cdn listings on .ca is going to have exactly the effect you've mentioned -- many Canadian sellers (especially those with a primarily U.S. buyer base) will be put in the position of having to decide whether it's best to leave .ca entirely just in order to make buying function properly for the vast majority of their customers.  

Message 878 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"If we look at the online world at large, you will notice that most large online retailer sell in the currency of the buyers - Walmart Canada sells in Cdn$, etc...  For eBay to turn back the clock fifteen years - against the trend - does not make sense to me.

As Canadians we should take pride in our ability to offer Canadian buyers the ability to purchase in their own currency just as we can offer foreigners the ability to pay in their own currency." 

While what you say is an accurate reflection of eBay's history, and I understand the concept behind eBay's branching out into various currencies, the problem in reality is that (speaking from over a decade of experience as a buyer on eBay), eBay has never seemed to be able to create a seamless checkout system for all its buyers.  This is in stark contrast to retailers like Walmart or Staples, whose checkout is smooth, easy to navigate through, and reliably consistent.  

It seems to me eBay has always had a huge problem providing their buyers with a proper checkout process.  I even recall the days, many years ago, when eBay sellers used to regularly beg buyers in their listings not to use eBay's checkout system.  Now here we are over 10 years later and it seems that eBay buyers still aren't able to put their chosen purchases all into one place and pay quickly and smoothly, in one simple process.  That one function, in my view -- allowing buyers to pay easily and without complications -- should always be priority #1 for any online platform.  Why this hasn't sunk in yet with eBay is beyond me.  

If eBay were capable of providing a consistently easy, seamless, and reliable checkout for buyers, no matter which site they were on, it would make sense to retain the multiplicity of currencies it now has. 

However, since they can't seem to make the right hand understand what the left hand is doing, it makes complete sense to me to use the one currency nearly everybody in the world can relate to, and do away with its grotesquely dysfunctional checkout system.  

Which is worse - the inconvenience for domestic purchasers in places like Canada of not being able to buy in their own currency, or inability to easily pay for purchases they do want to make?  Which is worse overall for sellers, and for eBay's bottom line?  

How many of those potential buyers will have given up on eBay entirely because of complications or dead-ends in attempting to pay for purchases?  And why doesn't eBay seem to be focusing on this fundamental factor?  It really boggles the mind.  Quite frankly, if I encountered some of the complications and confusion that my U.S. buyers have reported to me in attempting to purchase items listed on .ca, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere to make my purchases.  

We have to keep in mind that many non-U.S. buyers (including Canadians) log onto .com to buy on eBay, which means they will encounter checkout/cart difficulties if buying items not listed on .com.  

So I suppose what I really want Rodney or Raphael to explain to all of us is why eBay continues to cling to the multiple currency model when they clearly can't seem to make it work with their checkout process.  As a giant in the online world, you would really expect they'd have resolved this issue long ago. 

Message 879 of 1,448
latest reply

Yes -- before you say it -- I seem to be making up for lost time here.  Don't you miss my treatises?  Woman Happy

Message 880 of 1,448
latest reply