Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

then I apperantly  don't need ebay

Message 961 of 1,448
latest reply

"Please tell me how I can produce a 32 t0 37% increase in sale"

???

What do you mean?

eBay never suggested your sales would go up by "32% to 37%" if you list in Cdn$.  And I do not know where you get "32% to 37%".

Message 962 of 1,448
latest reply

For someone who posts a lot you sure do always seem to stick up for ebay / paypal. In fact this seems to be all you do every day.

Message 963 of 1,448
latest reply

" Ebay is still the largest shareholder."

With all due respect, I am not the one who posted that misinformation. you are. 

Correcting your error has nothing to do with "sticking up for eBay and PayPal."

Message 964 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Yes, but you always point them out in favour of Ebay...But I digress....This thread is now 49 pages long....Is Ebay Canada paying attention? This scenario is not as simple as "list on Ebay.com" as Ebay leads you to believe.

Message 965 of 1,448
latest reply

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Yes, but you always point them out in favour of Ebay...But I digress....This thread is now 49 pages long....Is Ebay Canada paying attention? This scenario is not as simple as "list on Ebay.com" as Ebay leads you to believe.

I saw him in other threads (See 2016 Spring Seller Update for example) and Pierre is not nicer with eBay's staff when they take stupid decisions (which unfortunately seems to be the trend since a few years). He always give true facts which, sometimes, are in favor of eBay. Have you read all 49 pages here? He did much better than eBay staff to help everyone with their questions. I do not always agree with him, but I do respect him for his work and the experience he share with us.

I know Pierre can handle this by himself, but I couldn't resist adding my grain of salt...

As for eBay paying attention, it seems that eBay has a long tradition of taking decisions and making it a "fait accompli" even if that's a total non-sense for anyone with a brain. Whatever that could be said here, they just don't care except maybe if its a question that hasn't been already answered.

Like you said, the scenario is more complicated and will add most of us a LOT of work to adapt to something most seller have serious doubts about. Even with their mysterious tool set to be launched on May 2nd I'm not sure it will be that easy. They don't care about our time, they take decisions for their own good, not ours. That's an advantage of being number one.

Message 966 of 1,448
latest reply

"Whatever that could be said here, they just don't care except maybe if its a question that hasn't been already answered."

That is correct.

I think many posters misunderstand the meaning of these threads originated by eBay. They are NOT "focus groups".  They are not meant to receive and evaluate opinions.

The purpose of these threads (initiated by eBay) is to advise members of decisions made by eBay and have the staff and management answer questions and provide suggestions how to handle challenges created by those decisions.

For as long as I can remember, the eBay policy has been to not explain how they reached their decisions or justify them.  It is their site, they own it and they create the rules and policies for what they feel is best for them. 

These threads are not a polite debate from which decisions will be made.  Decisions have been made and are final.  Comments and insults on these threads never changed or modified the policies announced. 

Members affected by the decisions may benefit from reading these threads a few times to find potential solutions to their perceived problems and challenges.  Of course not all problems will be solved as some have no answer.  However readers with an open mind may find solutions that could work for them.

Message 967 of 1,448
latest reply

Have dates been set for the "upcoming webinar"? I may have to change work schedules to accomodate. Please reply with details if available.

Message 968 of 1,448
latest reply

And it wasn't missinformation, your understanding of shareholding is wrong. Simple as that. And I'm done wasting my time responding to an ebay shell account.

Message 969 of 1,448
latest reply

I hope the benefits of this change in currency are pretty great, because the amount of work involved in changing to Canadian one listing at a time is a hell of a lot of work to accommodate some committee somewhere. 600 relists that can't be done any way except ONE at a TIME. Frustrated is not the word. Tell me again how good it's going to be.

Message 970 of 1,448
latest reply

@2013reh001 wrote:

I hope the benefits of this change in currency are pretty great, because the amount of work involved in changing to Canadian one listing at a time is a hell of a lot of work to accommodate some committee somewhere. 600 relists that can't be done any way except ONE at a TIME. Frustrated is not the word. Tell me again how good it's going to be.

Wait for May 2 when eBay will provide a tool to help convert listings for you in bulk.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/how-are-my-listings-affected.html

Message 971 of 1,448
latest reply

Since February sales and traffic have been down.
I figured this was because of UPC code update and my items not being part of ebay catalog.

Is this the end of my ebay business?
Message 972 of 1,448
latest reply

I am a Canadian seller selling on ebay.ca in USD. This is my first experience selling on ebay.ca in CAD. 

Currently all of my listings are still in USD with the exception of this one item (401094341182).

I understand this is just one item, nonetheless it's enough to ascertain that selling in CAD on .ca will not work out. Perhaps it will for those who sell collectables but certainly not all categories. 

Message 973 of 1,448
latest reply

Sorry that this makes no sense. It's been edited by ebay.
Message 974 of 1,448
latest reply

@lorraine_carol wrote:
Sorry that this makes no sense. It's been edited by ebay.

I saw your comment before skippy deleted most of it and this is something we'll unfortunately have to get used to. Having to deal now with two currencies for someone who usually deals only in USD is often an headache when it gets to offers. Already had to deal with that a few times. Buyer talks about USD while your listing is in CAD or the other way around. Or you're not sure if the offer is in CAD or in USD.

We're so used to calculate everything in USD that when it comes to CAD, we have to thing about it twice to make sure we're not doing any mistake.

I could have lived without that wonderful advantage. You certainly do as well.

Message 975 of 1,448
latest reply

So ebay hasn't the time to answer questions anymore but they do to censor sellers comments and questions ?

Message 976 of 1,448
latest reply

I am considering making the switch over to .com but when I looked at their site most of the categories I list in now do not even exist so how will that help me. Are they going to add more categories or is this just another way to make me convert? Sales are already been slow since this has all began when will Ebay run a promotion to help all sellers not just the few converting to Canadian funds?

Message 977 of 1,448
latest reply

" most of the categories I list in now do not even exist "

Could you please provide more details.  I have been selling stamps (philatelic items) on eBay for eighteen years and the categories available on  SY3 form on eBay.com should mirror the categories available on eBay.ca (with few exceptions)

Message 978 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"your final fees on shipping are lower than the final on the item itself, "

Quite the contrary.

A seller pays regular FVF on shipping charge (TRS rebate does not apply) but could get 20% rebate on FVF if Top Rated Seller (TRS).

Now, if a smart seller offers "free shipping"  as the first shipping option domestically, no FVF will be charged on the "shipping charge" when shipping outside the country. Smiley Happy  It helps to know the rules!

This is quite true, but as an aside, I wanted to point out that this is one more solid argument explaining why herding more Canadian sellers over to .com will be a significant cost savings for eBay overall.  This is a little truth of course that Rodney et al fail to mention in their zeal to convince us the switch to $Cdn is intended for our own benefit.   

For many of us selling mainly to the U.S. and overseas, being able to offer free shipping domestically by listing on .ca, and hence avoiding paying FVFs on shipping for all non-Canadian orders, has been a huge benefit. I used it as a cornerstone of my business plan until I was forced to list a large percentage of my items on .com in order to escape the "cart disconnect" problems. 

So, for any Cdn. seller who sells mostly to the U.S. and abroad and has been relying on using free domestic shipping in order to reduce overall FVFs on shipping, keep in mind that moving to eBay.com (in order to continue to list in $US) will mean not only losing that FVF fee reduction, but will almost certainly mean paying higher FVFs on shipping overall -- because every U.S. sale will be a "domestic" shipping sale, and what small Cdn. seller can afford to offer free (or very reduced) shipping to the U.S., especially if shipping items of any size or weight? 

It's clear to me for this reason, amongst others, that having a large number of Cdn sellers move over to .com can only result in a cost-saving benefit for eBay.  No wonder they're happy to encourage us to do so.  I set out a rough estimate of the savings for eBay in an earlier post -- it's not peanuts. 

For me personally, moving over to eBay.com in order to continue to list in $US and accommodate my U.S. customers with an easy and reliable checkout/cart function, is a no-brainer.   It outweighs all the bad scenarios that listing in $Cdn on .ca would create for me.  

However, some sellers may have to weigh the potential of higher sales by listing in $US on .com against the higher costs on shipping FVFs that will be virtually unavoidable.  For Cdn. sellers who have a fairly even mix of Canadian, U.S. and international buyers, this could be a difficult calculation.

Message 979 of 1,448
latest reply

I have 900 items in my store...all of them have sub-title which is no charge on .cafr but charged at 1$/item on .com....is using the transition tool can create 900$ bill ?
Message 980 of 1,448
latest reply