Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

@sleco69 wrote:

As of July.13...first try of the tool....19items to convert to .ca

1st time I click confirm & save, nothing happens.... I refresh the page, reselect items, click confirm & save again, new draft listings have been created.  when I follow the link to go into draft listings, nothing appears.  Do it 2 times, nothing more.  

Still nothing after 10-minutes...

any idea?  may be Pierre ?

For 19 items I would just do it manually and ignore the tool which will take more time to figure out than it is worth. Perhaps the 19 is just a test to figure it out for more items.

I doubt Pierre ever used the tool even to test. Some others have so perhaps they can help.

Message 1241 of 1,448
latest reply

Hello all:

After much trial and error in converting over 3,000 listings so far this month, I believe I have found a ,workflow that is efficient and error free that addresses the following issues:

1. How you re-number your stock items to the new 12 digit e-bay number, since the old numbers end once you end the old listings. This is an issue for those of you who pick orders for shipping by the e-bay number. 

2. How you avoid duplicating listings, as early iterations of the listing migration tool (LMT) had duplicate drafts being created in some cases. 

3. How to ensure that all listings are found and drafts are created. 

4. Dealing with the problem of the drafts not containing the correct shipping policy. 

5. Ending listings so that you don't get hit with the MC018 violation.

And so on. 

When I first used the tool, I attempted to produce drafts for all 3,600 listings that I had that were in U.S. However, for some unknown reason, not all of them appeared in my drafts folder. Then the next time I tried it, I was able, with several re-freshes of the draft page to get them all to appear. The problem was that they would disappear at some random rate rather than 1 at a time as I processed them. So for example, even though I started with 3,600 drafts, I would get down to 0 after processing only 500 items. What was worse, was that the drafts were not in the same order as those on the pages of the LMT, so I couldn't tell what I had already processed, as it seems that the LMT takes quite a while to update and show an item as being processed. So what I do now is:

1. Go to the LMT and refresh. Once the listing appears, go to the display dropdown menu and select to sort by converted items. It will now display all your active listings. 

2. Taking one page at a time, select all active listings, ignoring sold and unsolds. Select convert to CDN and enter your exchange rate. Select OK. Your drafts will be created. 

3. Go to your draft folder and see if the drafts are there. If they aren't, refresh the page until the required number of drafts appears. Remember that because you are only dealing with one 50 item page at a time in your LMT, that the total number of drafts that should appear will be 50 minus the number of sold and unsold items you ignored. 

Doing it this way will enable you to keep track of what you already processed and you can then work your way through the pages of the LMT. 

For those of you who do not have to re-number your listings, the bulk processing feature should work. I don't know if it does because I have had to re-number each and every item in my inventory. To physically do this would take an inordinate amount of time, so what I have done is:

1. Use the "Export all listings" to create a CSV file. Once you have the file, open it and change it to XLS format. Select the item number column and re-format it to a number with no decimal places. This will now display you current item numbers. 

2. There is a field in the spreadsheet in column E for the item title. You can cut and paste the item title from your draft that you are working on into the find and replace function in excel (highlight a cell in column E and hit control F) It will bring up the search box. Paste the description into that box). Hit "find next". It should take you to the item i the spreadsheet. If instead you get an error messsage "could not locate item requested" or something similar, try shortening the description and try again. It should take you to a series of similar items that you can toggle through until you find your item. 

3. Once you have the old item number, insert a new column for your new number that will go right next to it as you complete your drafts. 

4. Then open up two new tabs on your browser:

- one for your drafts, showing the current draft you are completing.

- one to search for current listings using the e-bay number. To access this, go to selling manager pro and in the middle of the screen is a hyperlink for "Active Listings". This will take you to a search screen where you can select "Item ID from the dropdown.

5. Once you have done this you are now ready to process your listings as follows:

a) Highlight the title of the draft listing you want to covert, Right click and select copy. Then go to your spreadsheet. Place the cursor on column E and hit cntr F. The search box should appear. Paste the description in this box and select find next. If it does not take you to this item, keep hitting find next until it takes you to the right item. When you get there, go to column A on that line, highlight the number that appears in that cell and right click copy. 

b) go to the search tab that you opened up and paste the item number into the search box and hit search. This should bring up the current US dollar listing that you will be ending once you have processed the draft. 

c) Go to the draft and select "complete". it will pull up the listing. Check it quickly for accuracy. I find that on my drafts the old US shipping policy is still shown, so I change it to my new CDN$ policy. Hit the buttons to approve and post the listing. When your screen saying "congratulations your item is listed", highlight the new item number. Right click copy. 

d) Go back to your spreadsheet and past this new number next to the old one in the column you just created. 

e) Go back to your search tab where the old listing now appears. There is a drop down menu next to it and the last item on that menu is "end listing". Select it and then agree to end the listing. You old listing is now ended. You can arrow back to get back to the search screen with two back clicks so that you can enter the next item number there. 

f) To get back to your draft list, I go to "My e-bay" and then selling manager and then drafts from the screen that I was processing the draft in. 

Repeat the above for all your listings. I know it seems cumbersome, but after you get a rhythm going you can process 20-25 listings in an hour. It's not fast, but this method is 100% error free. 

Message 1242 of 1,448
latest reply

holy cow, I'm so glad I just ended 25 at a time and revised those, only took me 30 minutes to do each batch...and had been working on 7300 listings since March, finally finished last week!!  what a job!! 

Message 1243 of 1,448
latest reply

Yes it's just for test,,,, few items to try....

I retried this morning with 5 items....

after refreshing both LMT page & draft list page many times in 20-minutes, I'm stock on "processing" status, nothing in the drafts list...

at this rate, it is better to do it manually...

Message 1244 of 1,448
latest reply

Nothing works!
thanks ebay.ca to screw up my pool & spa parts store, at this time of the year. years of items history, nb of view, quantity sold, ALL LOSTS.
Restart all the things, with 1/3 of visibility, due to the $CAD listings on .ca OR go on ebay.com, without any shipping calculator for your items.

shipping calculator is crucial on .com. You put some China shipping option, and don't even able to put CPC options?

"It is recommended to sells in $USD for international visibility & worldwide transactions. Sellers that sells in $USD have 60% more chances to sold their items" THEY SAID few months ago...

Message 1245 of 1,448
latest reply

The China shipping options are not calculated....they have to use a flat rate just like we do on .com.

It looks like you have a lof of sales history with your current listings.  I would be po'd too about losing that.

Message 1246 of 1,448
latest reply

I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something here but what difference does sales history have on a listing?  when I go to buy something I don't look at the sales and say....wow, they've sold 3 items and 100 are left-better snap it up now, the only time I go to the sales is to see if the price has ever gone down and then I know that seller periodically puts items on sale and if I don't need it right away, I'll watch it until there's another sale.  That does nothing to increase a seller's sales.  As for quantity sold, I'm sure you aren't using your listings to keep track of your sales- I can't see anyone going into every listing to keep a tally for taxes etc.  Even with the threat of a looming postal disturbance my sales have skyrocketed in Cdn funds.  I'm getting tons of Australian and UK buyers which I could count on one hand before the switch.  Things are now selling that I've had listed for years because they are getting "new" status in searches. 

Message 1247 of 1,448
latest reply

ebays Cassini search system places a fairly high value on recent sales history so if a multiple item listing has a lot of sales, that listing is often put at or near the top of best match.  

Message 1248 of 1,448
latest reply

that listing is often put at or near the top of best match. YES EXACTLY !

in the spa parts replacement market, it is crucial due to the high value items, with lots of competition
Message 1249 of 1,448
latest reply

ahh, I see, but then I always search by newly listed anyway so it wouldn't matter

Message 1250 of 1,448
latest reply

"I always search by newly listed anyway so it wouldn't matter"

That is correct.  It would not matter to your searches.

However, as sellers, we need to be concerned by what our potential buyers see (that is important), not what we see (that is irrelevant).

Since Best Match is the default on eBay this is what most potential buyers will see.  We need to pay attention to that. It is important.

Message 1251 of 1,448
latest reply

The migration tool DONT WORK AT ALL!

Whatever is for move to .com or convert to $CAD.

whatever is on Chrome or IE

Nothing works!

This migrations date should be reported later, time to have operational tool working!

Message 1252 of 1,448
latest reply

@rainbow71113 wrote:

Even with the threat of a looming postal disturbance my sales have skyrocketed in Cdn funds.  I'm getting tons of Australian and UK buyers which I could count on one hand before the switch.  Things are now selling that I've had listed for years because they are getting "new" status in searches. 

Hard to say this success is due to the switch in CDN since you could have achieved the same sales increase by ending and relisting your items even if we were still using USD. 5 years old GTC items that were at the bottom of the list had not much chances to sell but relisting them as new may give them a very welcome helping hand no matter the currency in use.

That's probably what most sellers with GTC items will experience by being forced to relist because their stuff will find its way back to the top of the searches.

In all cases glad it worked for you, no matter the reason why!

Message 1253 of 1,448
latest reply

I had a listing in US dollars and an Australian buyer asked if I could lower the price, I told her I was in the process of changeing to Cdn and ended that listing and she bought it immediately, so I asked what the difference worked out to and she said it was $10 Aus

less in the Cdn currency than the US and that's with my exchange rate of $1.27 added to the US price.  So it does make a difference to overseas buyers.

Message 1254 of 1,448
latest reply

As of July.22, migration tool STILL NOT WORKING.Smiley Mad

Message 1255 of 1,448
latest reply

Just want to say I haven't as yet tried the migration tool ~ from what I've been reading I'm almost afraid to.

I have 66 items GTC which will end in about 3 weeks and my plan is to migrate them over to CA$ as there's no possible way of inputting a flat rate shipping cost on items of their size and weight, especially considering the fact that if I'm looking at something myself and see a humongous shipping cost I sometimes just pass right on buy. So if it's an item that must travel by parcel rate, I want a suitable amount to show up for potential buyers.

In the meantime, I've take the advice of a few experts in this thread (and others) and found out last evening that setting up listings on ebay.com is not as difficult as I thought. I had to look for a few features I wanted but they were there ~ I didn't need an address in USA as some members thought ~ and my handful of listings turned out  well ~ or at least I think so.

So to those members who told me I can list on both sides I say "Many Thanks" as I did not know that.

And to those members who are still having trouble with the "tool" I say 'keep listening' as I plan to try it in a couple of weeks and you may hear me screaming, no matter how far away you are from me!!

Message 1256 of 1,448
latest reply

Reply to arkh_angel

5 years old GTC items that were at the bottom of the list had not much chances to sell

That's not thruth!  I have items listed GTC since 2010, and still one of my best sellers and watching items.

see my screen capture in attachmt.

What is angry me is that all watchers of my favorites items, will be LOSTED!

Message 1257 of 1,448
latest reply

I've just check it the Ebay shipping furnitures and the price.

That's funny to see that Ebay want to sell us pack-of-100 plastic enveloppes with Ebay logo on it (without airbubble), of size 15" x 12", for 66.08$CAD, when CanadaPost sells the same enveloppes, with the Ebay logo, same size for 14$ (pack-of-100).

Both free shiping.

Message 1258 of 1,448
latest reply

Is anybody can explain me why my Top-rated seller information, is not displaying on my $CAD item, on .com.  It is on .ca

see screen capture....

Message 1259 of 1,448
latest reply

I don't think it has ever shown up on .com, Canadians have different standards to follow than the US-we don't have to adhere to the 90% tracking YET....

Message 1260 of 1,448
latest reply