Sold one item - ebay selling fee C$853.16!

One more reason to get off ebay!

I sold a painting yesterday on ebay (ebay's role was to host it on their web site).

When I listed it, the ebay fees maxed out on a single item at US$250.   If I know the ebay fee would be $C853,16, there is no way I would have put it on ebay.

Last night it sold.   I knew ebay fees were going up, but a fee of $853.16 to sell one item, is too much.

That does not include the paypal fee (it hasn't been paid for yet, so I don't know how much that fee will be).

To rub salt in the wound.   I've been a top rated seller for ages, based on performance, and gross sales.

Sometime recently ebay added the new requirement to top rated sellers that they must have at least 100 transactions, per year, regardless of the gross sales receipts.

This month, ebay decided I didn't sell 100 items in the year prior (but not including the month in which this transaction occurred, only the 12 months prior), so I lost my 20% power seller discount.

Next month I'll be a top rated seller again based on sales volume.   

I understand ebay can make whatever nasty rules it wants, and we have to follow them.    However I really feel ripped off when an item is purchased in a month that will qualify for top rated seller status (based on sales volume), but is denied the discount because of sales volume in prior months.    Add to that the fact this item is being paid with a paypal echeck that won't clear until the next month (which will be top rated).    In law, the transaction doesn't occur until the date of the exchange event (ie payment).   

Put me done on the long list of people looking for an ebay alternative.

My ebay listings are prefect for their own web site.   

This is the last straw to make that happen.

Note to Ebay - buy taking too gready a share today, you will loose out of a much bigger share in the future.   That is very short term thinking on Ebay's part.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

The buyers fee is not the same as the sellers fee.

The sellers fee at Christies and Sotheby's as stated previously.

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

Then perhaps you can tell me how I can get a buyer to pay the listing fees for items which don't sell?

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

Sell for 25% less as the buyer is mentally adding the extra fees in. Regardless of the method, the end profit is what it is.

You can sell for high with higher fees and end with the same. You can sell for a lower amount with no fees and end where you are no.

The FVF you got charged for what you sold are cheap.
Photobucket
Message 43 of 45
latest reply

@westcoastart2 wrote:

The buyers fee is not the same as the sellers fee.

The sellers fee at Christies and Sotheby's as stated previously.

Perhaps you do not understand:

The Buyer pays all fees.         Sellers fees and buyers fees both come from the buyer.

Message 44 of 45
latest reply

@westcoastart2 wrote:

Then perhaps you can tell me how I can get a buyer to pay the listing fees for items which don't sell?

Is this an actual question or are you just being silly ?

Message 45 of 45
latest reply