What to make of sellers reply for item bought 12 days ago but not shipped???

Purchased and paid for item May 1st from U.S. seller .. here we are 12 days later (May 12) and ebay still shows 'not shipped'? Shows 'estimated delivery of May 20th - June 4th...why so late??...so I asked them). Emailed seller 3 times but no response until I politely indicated if they did not let me know WHEN it would be shipped I would have to make a claim against them (and their perfect record). NOW I finally get a reply but can anyone make heads or tails as to what the seller is getting at? Are they trying to put me out of the 30 day claim period?? Are they stringing me along here, I don't understand why a seller would put off shipping an item until so late? Any insight? Do I just wait it out and see if it arrives by June 4th??

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: What to make of sellers reply for item bought 12 days ago but not shipped???

@drwho534 wrote:

Purchased and paid for item May 1st from U.S. seller .. here we are 12 days later (May 12) and ebay still shows 'not shipped'? Shows 'estimated delivery of May 20th - June 4th...why so late??...so I asked them). Emailed seller 3 times but no response until I politely indicated if they did not let me know WHEN it would be shipped I would have to make a claim against them (and their perfect record). NOW I finally get a reply but can anyone make heads or tails as to what the seller is getting at? Are they trying to put me out of the 30 day claim period?? ... Do I just wait it out and see if it arrives by June 4th??

The 30 day limit is from the last estimated arrival date for eBay. So you have 30 days starting June 4.

If you paid via PayPal  you have 180 days from the purchase date.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: What to make of sellers reply for item bought 12 days ago but not shipped???

If the seller is fairly new, or only an occasional seller, or is working in a high fraud category or/or/or/ she may have her customers' payments Held by Paypal for up to 21 days against her good customer service.

And she just blew that one.

Was your payment backed by a PP balance or by a credit card?

Or was it backed by your bank account?

If the latter, it had to clear both the Canadian and the US banking systems this can take up to 10 days, during which (although it has come out of your bank account) it is NOT cleared and available to PP and your seller.

Most sellers will ship within 24 hours of cleared payment, even if they say they will take longer.

Better to under promise and over produce, right?

Now, my worry is that the seller is not responding.

That (and not the shipping) concerns me.

Go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Recieved Dispute.

The first step is to contact the seller.

You have already done that so just escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot show that the item has been delivered, you will be refunced.

There is a period between the seller providing the tracking number and the refund to allow the item to be delivered. That would probably be your June 4 date, but might be sooner.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Well the seller has been on since 2008 and has a 'stellar' record so they are not a newcomer (which I avoid). I paid via PayPal using a credit card and have used it plenty of times before with U.S. sellers who have shipped immediately?  What gets me is that the seller gets their payment right away through PayPal but we the buyer are left to wait, and wait until they decide (for whatever reason) t actually ship the item!! Why this seller is waiting two weeks before shipping is beyond me and then they fail to respond to my concerns until I 'politely' mention that if they don't let me know exactly WHEN they plan to ship the item I will have to file a claim. It shows an 'estimated' shipping date of May 20th - June 4th? Meanwhile I paid for it May 1st. Then I finally get some 'mish mash' of a reply that "they're out alot" (?) and "don't have a printer and will have to borrow one" (U.S. seller)? Not sure what any of that has to do with shipping the item? Yet they still don't answer the question of WHEN and make no mention of any other reason for holding back shipment? They did mention that they "will hold to the 10 day posting" ?? If I had paid by cheque I could understand. Why the difficulty I ask myself. It's now been 13 days and ebay still shows 'not shipped'.  I guess I have no recourse but to wait it out to see if it is actually shipped or not and then file a claim if not. I'm just worried this 'stellar seller' is stringing me along. I would think sellers should not be allowed to 'hold' an item when they've been paid immediately by PayPal or Credit Card. Thanks for the insight!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

It just reminds me of a seller who wrote in her description to message her and ask first before paying... To make sure she is "still around" because apparently she is an elderly lady with mobility issues. I was just casually browsing and came across that listing so it does remind me that each eBay seller is a different individual.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I hate to sound like I'm making excuses for this seller but:

What gets me is that the seller gets their payment right away through PayPal

Not necessarily.

If you paid from your BANK balance (not PP balance or credit card) she might wait up to 10 days for it to clear the two banking systems.

OR

There may be some reason PP is Holding her customers' payments*, a sudden lapse in customer service or just an expired credit card that has led to an unpaid eBay invoice.

but we the buyer are left to wait, and wait until they decide (for whatever reason) t actually ship the item!!

It may have been shipped (without tracking) and just not manually noted as such by the seller.

Then I finally get some 'mish mash' of a reply that "they're out alot" (?)

Yeah.

This is why you should be filing the Item Not Received today. Or yesterday.

These are truly bogus excuses.

I guess I have no recourse but to wait it out to see if it is actually shipped or not

Nope.

File.

EBay may not act until the June 4 date passes, but it may galvanize the seller into action.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping , DELIVERY) you will be refunded in full.

Tracking is for the benefit of the seller, to show that an item has been Delivered. No other actual purpose.

*Not a valid excuse for not shipping, btw, since she can use the Held funds to buy a PP shipping label.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I appreciate all your input into my concern! Smiley Happy With an 'estimated' ship date of up to 5 weeks after my immediate PP payment do you think it is right for me to tell the seller to ship the item next week or else I will file a claim? After all if their payment was 'held up' by PP why would they just not tell me that is the reason for the 'holdup', yet they didn't mention anything along those lines when asked. Instead they just mentioned how for the longest time they would not accept international bids but ebay forced them into it which requires a printer and because they don't have a printer they will need to borrow one? So they are going to keep within their 10 day posting as mentioned.

<br><br>

So, do you see any reasoning behind all this? I mean what does a "lack of printer" have to do with anything? Believe me I'm a patient person but in this case I see no reason to 'hold' an item back for this length of time when no real legitimate reason has been given. I guess the question is can I 'tell' the seller to ship by next week or will file a claim ...or is that against ebay policy?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The lack of printer thing is because I think they need a printer to print shipping label? But if I were the seller I would have just went to the post office to buy postage there to ship, and hand write a packing slip if that is needed. Anyhow if I were you I'd file an INR before the deadline if you still didn't receive your item by day 40 or so... But yeah, personally if I need to delay shipment more than 5 days for personal reasons, I always message the buyer myself, not wait till the buyer gets impatient to message me...

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

do you think it is right for me to tell the seller to ship the item next week or else I will file a claim?

No

The scammer is playing you.

File.

File

File.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply