after he makes offer n we accepted buyer wont pay wants to see item fist bc he's local ,

What would you do as a seller if a buyer makes an offer and you accept there offer, then buyer wants to see item first before paying because they are local? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

after he makes offer n we accepted buyer wont pay wants to see item fist bc he's local ,

Well, first of all... Hmm. Did you agree to pick-up before it was bought? I hope so. Otherwise, it's rude for a buyer to assume.

But that is neither here nor there.

If the buyer is meeting you someplace to do a pick-up, you actually do NOT under any circumstances want to accept paypal as payment for any person-to-person picked-up item exchange. This leaves you with zero seller protection in the event of an item not received case. If you call paypal, they will tell you that the only thing they accept for proof of delivery is online tracking. (Unless you can get the buyer to admit in writing through the Resolution Centre Case dispute that they already got it but are trying to steal money from you, nothing else will suffice.) Do you know what I'm saying? With paypal payment and local pick-up, there is nothing at all to save you from the buyer opening an INR as soon as they get home with your item in hand. You must have tracking from an uninvolved third-party like the postal system or a courier to prove delivery. Period.

In-person hand-offs should always take place in public when cash is involved. And only cash, no paypal. The more money involved, the more friends you should bring with you. Or offer to meet in the parking lot of the local police detachment. 

As to their desire to inspect it prior to payment? Fine. Make sure this is communicated via ebay messages so that they cannot later claim they want to return it for reasons it is Significantly Not As Described. If they decide against buying it? Well, that leaves you with options. You can either be friendly and Cancel the Order at their request OR unfriendly and open an Unpaid Item Dispute. There are pros and cons for both. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I have sometimes agreed to meet a potential buyer for a cash on pickup transaction.

I suggest meeting after morning service in the Friendship Room of my church. For some reason, no one has taken me up on this, even though we serve tea and homemade cookies.

Tim Horton's isn't bad either. But you shouldn't be putting yourself out. Your time is worth at least 18 cents a minute at the current ON minimum wage.

As well as only accepting cash on pickup, be prepared for the guy not to show up at all. Even if your local Timmie's has French Cruller Timbits.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

ok thanks for the great advice you guys are awesome n now I feel like having me a french cruller
Message 4 of 4
latest reply